Dessalator shuts down for no apparent reason - CAT Pump Modification for less than 160 liters

Paul,

You might want to check with Dessalator. I think the 3 common reasons for shutdown are:
  1. Over Pressure - Sometimes caused by a faulty pressure gauge, or a pressure sensor
  2. High TDS - What is your measured TDS of the product water?
  3. Lack of water flow - check everything from outside your boat to the HP pump (the line from outside through the valve to the strainer, hoses, all the way to through the pre-filter
I believe that all of the above will show a red light. Of course it could be other things.

I hope this helps you find the issue.

CAT Pump Modification on Dessalator Systems less than 160l:
This is the first time that I heard that Dessalator removes a piston on the CAT HP pump in order to reduce the flow for systems less than 160 liter. I find this very interesting and those who have purchased a CAT HP pump for Dessalator systems less than 160l from sources other than Dessalator, should take note. Paul, if you could, could you post anything else that you have on this subject.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 8:29 AM Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <yafohi@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I have a Dessalator 100 Duo and have just installed a brand new CAT pump supplied by Dessalator (i.e. with the centre piston removed). I use the 24V motor. All seems to be working well except that now the watermaker shuts down for no apparant reason after about half an hour. The red warning light does not go on, and the breaker does not trip. If I restart it after a short while it shuts down again within a few minutes. If I leave it until the next day it runs for about half an hour then shuts down. I changed the pre-filter but still the same thing happens. This only started happening after about 6-7 hours of use after having installed the new pump.

I would be interested to know if anyone has experienced this problem and if so how it was fixed. .

--
Cheers
Paul

Paul Dowd <paul.dowd@...>

Bill,

I do believe Arno is right about the motor overheating. I changed over to using the 230V motor and that got very hot and then came to a halt. So I am puzzled about what it is about the new pump that is causing both motors to overheat. Could it be belts too tight? I allow for about an inch of depression in the middle. Could it be too much oil in the pump or the wrong kind?

I do not think it is any of the possibilities you mentioned Bill as the red light dos not come on, the pressure is normal, and the water seems fine.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

[...]

Arno Luijten

Hi Paul,

When I took apart my watermaker last week I saw no way to tighten the belts. So over tightening the belts seems unlikely unless you have replace them with shorter ones.
It seems like your pump is taking more power than expected to rotate. Did something change about the pump?
I did replace the oil in mine (using standard 15W40 motor oil as prescribed). There is a small indicator that tells you about the oil level.
Did you take any of the single direction pulleys off? Did you put them back on in the correct way?
Also you may have introduced a blockage in the path after the pump. Does it run smoothly when you take off the HP hose from the mebranes?

Just some suggestions to help determine what is wrong…

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna
A54-121

Paul Dowd <paul.dowd@...>

Hi Arno,

Ok, I have found the problem: it was the TDS sensor connections that were corroded so it was shutting down because it thought the water quality was bad. However, what confused me is that I thought the red alarm light should go on in this case but it does not. The other thing that confused me was that after you suggested it was the motor thermal cut-out I checked the temperature of the motor and it was too hot to touch, but it now seems that was just because the generator was running. Then when I tries the 240V motor that also seemed very hot, but in that occasion it stopped because the pulley wheel bearing was not holding.

After cleaning the TDS connections and changing the pulley wheel it has now been working fine for an hour with the generator running. I am now getting the old pulley wheel welded so it can still be used but without the other side connected. I paid €300 for it and it lasted only a year!

I also checked the TDS and its 420ppm and I believe less than 500 is ok.

About belt tightness, they can be tightened by sliding the motor on its mounting.

In reply to Bill's request about the CAT pump, when my last one gave up I got a used CAT 277 but the 24V breaker kept tripping. I asked Dessalator and they said you cannot use the this one as it will burn out the motor. That's when I ordered one from Dessalator, and they sent me a CAT 237. My old one had the centre piston removed and blocked off. I don’t know if the new one is the same and I'm not about to take it apart to find out. I note that BHP pumps sells a CAT 237 for USD1113 whereas I paid Dessalator EUR1300 = USD1450. I note some differences in the spec between the 277 and 237, but I still don’t know if the blocked centre piston is a standard feature or a Dessalator modification.

Cheers,
Paul
S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

When I took apart my watermaker last week I saw no way to tighten the belts. So over tightening the belts seems unlikely unless you have replace them with shorter ones.
It seems like your pump is taking more power than expected to rotate. Did something change about the pump?
I did replace the oil in mine (using standard 15W40 motor oil as prescribed). There is a small indicator that tells you about the oil level.
Did you take any of the single direction pulleys off? Did you put them back on in the correct way?
Also you may have introduced a blockage in the path after the pump. Does it run smoothly when you take off the HP hose from the mebranes?

Just some suggestions to help determine what is wrong…

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna
A54-121

Gary Silver

Hi Bill and Paul:

If the run capacitors on the 230 volt motor are old and out of specification they can cause your motor to run hot.  It might be worth disconnecting the capacitors and testing their capacitance with a multimeter that has a capacitance measuring capability.  My experience is that these capacitors are good for about 10 years.  Just one more thing to consider.

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 #335
Puerto Del Rey Marina, Puerto Rico

Mark & Debbie Mueller

Hi Paul,
If not to much trouble could you please forward a photo of the TDS sensor, I would like to see if the Dessalator on our version includes this item.  I have always heard that the TDS sensor on at least the Dessalator 160's is a myth.  That the "Good Quality" light related only to a time delay circuit in the control system not an actual internal check.  Thanks.
--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Mark,

See attached. There’s not much to see really – just the connection to the probes that sit in the pipe. I think the clever stuff must be done in the controller.

An interesting development is that my watermaker is no longer getting to the “good quality” stage so I’m not making water at the moment. I measured TDS at 420ppm and have asked Dessalator what the threshold is. I’m now thinking new membranes. Mine are 11 years old.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98