Topics

Greasing autoprop

ahmet kipcak
 

Hi everybady,
I would like to grease my bruntons propeller according to bruntons maintance instruction but I couldn’t find any similar greas nipple hole on my propeller.
My one seems an older model,
I appreciate for your comments about greasing this propeller.

My best wishes for your safe Sailing
Ahmet Kıpçak
SM 247
Cesme / Izmir

Mark Erdos
 

Ahmet,

 

There is a small Phillips head screw on the side of the rotating blade. This is removed and where the grease nipple is attached. Item #7 in the diagram below. If your prop is painted, this will be painted over and more difficult to find. Each blade will have one.

 

AutoProp Explode Parts.jpg

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff

www.creampuff.us

 

 

-----Original Message-----
From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of ahmet kipcak
Sent: Monday, April 1, 2019 5:50 AM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Greasing autoprop

 

Hi everybady,

I would like to grease my bruntons propeller according to bruntons maintance instruction but I couldn’t find any similar greas nipple hole on my propeller.

My one seems an older model,

I appreciate for your comments about greasing this propeller.

 

My best wishes for your safe Sailing

Ahmet Kıpçak

SM 247

Cesme / Izmir

 

 

 

 

 

 

That grease nipple was 1/8" BPT on a 2002 AutoProp.

AutoProp H6 propellers changed around 1998 (don't have exact date, maybe you should check with Brutons with your serial number). The bearings required grease only after the change. Email david@... for the most accurate information, and, if needed, you can order the grease fitting and new bearings from him. Include your serial number which is stamped on the propeller. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970


On Mon, Apr 1, 2019, 7:48 AM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Ahmet,

 

There is a small Phillips head screw on the side of the rotating blade. This is removed and where the grease nipple is attached. Item #7 in the diagram below. If your prop is painted, this will be painted over and more difficult to find. Each blade will have one.

 

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff

www.creampuff.us

 

 

-----Original Message-----
From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of ahmet kipcak
Sent: Monday, April 1, 2019 5:50 AM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Greasing autoprop

 

Hi everybady,

I would like to grease my bruntons propeller according to bruntons maintance instruction but I couldn’t find any similar greas nipple hole on my propeller.

My one seems an older model,

I appreciate for your comments about greasing this propeller.

 

My best wishes for your safe Sailing

Ahmet Kıpçak

SM 247

Cesme / Izmir

 

 

 

 

 

Brent Cameron
 

The new forum with its ability to easily embed pictures into your posts as Mark has done to answer Ahmet's excellent question is a vast improvement.  It makes it so much easier for everyone to understand the topic in context.  It's been said many times now but kudos to all of the moderators for making this happen - especially as seamlessly as they did! 
--
Brent Cameron

Future Super Maramu 2000 Owner & Amel Owner Registry Moderator

Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada

ahmet kipcak
 

Dear all,
Thanks for your valuable feedback, As BilI said my one seems to be an old model, I will contact with Mr David from Bruntons.

Ahmet KİPCAK
SM247
Cesme/Izmir




Brent Cameron <brentcameron61@...> şunları yazdı (1 Nis 2019 16:38):

The new forum with its ability to easily embed pictures into your posts as Mark has done to answer Ahmet's excellent question is a vast improvement.  It makes it so much easier for everyone to understand the topic in context.  It's been said many times now but kudos to all of the moderators for making this happen - especially as seamlessly as they did! 
--
Brent Cameron

Future Super Maramu 2000 Owner & Amel Owner Registry Moderator

Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada

Beaute Olivier
 

Hello Ahmet,

I checked SM 246 and it had an AUTOPROP with open bearings, so, you probably have the same kind. Unlike the later models, which have sealed bearings with steel balls, your prop has stainless steel balls on open tracks. Although they don't really need it, you may grease these balls from the outside. This will prevent too much scaling on the balls.
If you feel the bearings make a grinding noise, then it's time to replace the balls and tracks, which you can order from Brunton's. The stainless steel balls don't stand wear as much as the steel ones (which rust, nobody's perfect, that's why they are sealed with grease nipples for renewing the grease).
No grease nipples on the first model of the Autoprop.

Good luck.

FYI (everybody) hull #259 has an Autoprop with sealed bearings, the change is around 250.

Olivier

On Monday, April 1, 2019, 4:25:19 PM GMT+2, ahmet kipcak <ahmetkipcak@...> wrote:


Dear all,
Thanks for your valuable feedback, As BilI said my one seems to be an old model, I will contact with Mr David from Bruntons.

Ahmet KİPCAK
SM247
Cesme/Izmir




Brent Cameron <brentcameron61@...> şunları yazdı (1 Nis 2019 16:38):

The new forum with its ability to easily embed pictures into your posts as Mark has done to answer Ahmet's excellent question is a vast improvement.  It makes it so much easier for everyone to understand the topic in context.  It's been said many times now but kudos to all of the moderators for making this happen - especially as seamlessly as they did! 
--
Brent Cameron

Future Super Maramu 2000 Owner & Amel Owner Registry Moderator

Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada

ahmet kipcak
 

Hello Olivier,

Thanks for info,as you said my one is previous model without greasing nipple. I got an maintance instruction from Bruntons which will be very helpfull for me.I will forward email came from Bruntons.


Best tehatds

Ahmet KİPCAK






Beaute Olivier via Groups.Io <atlanticyachtsurvey@...> şunları yazdı (1 Nis 2019 19:58):

Hello Ahmet,

I checked SM 246 and it had an AUTOPROP with open bearings, so, you probably have the same kind. Unlike the later models, which have sealed bearings with steel balls, your prop has stainless steel balls on open tracks. Although they don't really need it, you may grease these balls from the outside. This will prevent too much scaling on the balls.
If you feel the bearings make a grinding noise, then it's time to replace the balls and tracks, which you can order from Brunton's. The stainless steel balls don't stand wear as much as the steel ones (which rust, nobody's perfect, that's why they are sealed with grease nipples for renewing the grease).
No grease nipples on the first model of the Autoprop.

Good luck.

FYI (everybody) hull #259 has an Autoprop with sealed bearings, the change is around 250.

Olivier

On Monday, April 1, 2019, 4:25:19 PM GMT+2, ahmet kipcak <ahmetkipcak@...> wrote:


Dear all,
Thanks for your valuable feedback, As BilI said my one seems to be an old model, I will contact with Mr David from Bruntons.

Ahmet KİPCAK
SM247
Cesme/Izmir




Brent Cameron <brentcameron61@...> şunları yazdı (1 Nis 2019 16:38):

The new forum with its ability to easily embed pictures into your posts as Mark has done to answer Ahmet's excellent question is a vast improvement.  It makes it so much easier for everyone to understand the topic in context.  It's been said many times now but kudos to all of the moderators for making this happen - especially as seamlessly as they did! 
--
Brent Cameron

Future Super Maramu 2000 Owner & Amel Owner Registry Moderator

Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada

michael winand
 

Nebo is sm251 we have the open bearings. 

On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 at 4:05 pm, ahmet kipcak
<ahmetkipcak@...> wrote:

Hello Olivier,

Thanks for info,as you said my one is previous model without greasing nipple. I got an maintance instruction from Bruntons which will be very helpfull for me.I will forward email came from Bruntons.


Best tehatds

Ahmet KİPCAK






Beaute Olivier via Groups.Io <atlanticyachtsurvey@...> şunları yazdı (1 Nis 2019 19:58):

Hello Ahmet,

I checked SM 246 and it had an AUTOPROP with open bearings, so, you probably have the same kind. Unlike the later models, which have sealed bearings with steel balls, your prop has stainless steel balls on open tracks. Although they don't really need it, you may grease these balls from the outside. This will prevent too much scaling on the balls.
If you feel the bearings make a grinding noise, then it's time to replace the balls and tracks, which you can order from Brunton's. The stainless steel balls don't stand wear as much as the steel ones (which rust, nobody's perfect, that's why they are sealed with grease nipples for renewing the grease).
No grease nipples on the first model of the Autoprop.

Good luck.

FYI (everybody) hull #259 has an Autoprop with sealed bearings, the change is around 250.

Olivier

On Monday, April 1, 2019, 4:25:19 PM GMT+2, ahmet kipcak <ahmetkipcak@...> wrote:


Dear all,
Thanks for your valuable feedback, As BilI said my one seems to be an old model, I will contact with Mr David from Bruntons.

Ahmet KİPCAK
SM247
Cesme/Izmir




Brent Cameron <brentcameron61@...> şunları yazdı (1 Nis 2019 16:38):

The new forum with its ability to easily embed pictures into your posts as Mark has done to answer Ahmet's excellent question is a vast improvement.  It makes it so much easier for everyone to understand the topic in context.  It's been said many times now but kudos to all of the moderators for making this happen - especially as seamlessly as they did! 
--
Brent Cameron

Future Super Maramu 2000 Owner & Amel Owner Registry Moderator

Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada

David Vogel
 

Hi all,

Whenever hauling your AMEL fitted with a BRUNTONS AutoProp, one of the first things on the To Do list should be to grease the autoprop. This is because, especially for longer haul-outs, any water that is already/remaining in the grease channels and bearing races will dry out and leave residual salt crystals, thereby restricting the channels and potentiality also contaminating the grease in the bearing areas. Making it harder to later apply grease to all areas, and increasing the likelihood gunky grease, friction and excess wear. Applying grease early on straight after leaving the water introduces fresh grease to the area, thereby displacing any salt water that may be in the prop lube channels.

This was personal advice received from Rod Sampson, who is the US guy for Bruntons; we met him at the Annapolis Boat Show 2017; www.kingpropulsion.com.

David
SM#396, Perigee
Panama

Mohammad Shirloo
 

This is the same advice we received from Bruntons UK.

Happy Sailing;


Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
AMEL 54 #099

-----Original Message-----
From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Vogel via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2019 8:46 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Greasing autoprop

Hi all,

Whenever hauling your AMEL fitted with a BRUNTONS AutoProp, one of the first things on the To Do list should be to grease the autoprop. This is because, especially for longer haul-outs, any water that is already/remaining in the grease channels and bearing races will dry out and leave residual salt crystals, thereby restricting the channels and potentiality also contaminating the grease in the bearing areas. Making it harder to later apply grease to all areas, and increasing the likelihood gunky grease, friction and excess wear. Applying grease early on straight after leaving the water introduces fresh grease to the area, thereby displacing any salt water that may be in the prop lube channels.

This was personal advice received from Rod Sampson, who is the US guy for Bruntons; we met him at the Annapolis Boat Show 2017; www.kingpropulsion.com.

David
SM#396, Perigee
Panama

 

David,

This only applies to the H6 AutoProp designed to be greased. The older H6 version does not take grease.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970



On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 10:45 AM David Vogel <david.vogel@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Whenever hauling your AMEL fitted with a BRUNTONS AutoProp, one of the first things on the To Do list should be to grease the autoprop.  This is because, especially for longer haul-outs, any water that is already/remaining in the grease channels and bearing races will dry out and leave residual salt crystals, thereby restricting the channels and potentiality also contaminating the grease in the bearing areas.  Making it harder to later apply grease to all areas, and increasing the likelihood gunky grease, friction and excess wear.    Applying grease early on straight after leaving the water introduces fresh grease to the area, thereby displacing any salt water that may be in the prop lube channels.

This was personal advice received from Rod Sampson, who is the US guy for Bruntons; we met him at the Annapolis Boat Show 2017; www.kingpropulsion.com.

David
SM#396, Perigee
Panama