Topics

Pump running

Patrick McAneny

For over a month my water pump comes on for a second,every 15 minutes or so. I have not been able to find any leaks. I just thought of one possibility, a leak in a valve for flushing the membranes ,which is impossible to determine as the outlet is at the waterline. A second possible cause I was think of is the water pump,and this is my question.Can a water pump have an internal leak allowing water to flow back to the tank,thus reducing the pressure and kicking on the pump?
Thanks,
Pat
SM#123
Christmas Cove,USVI

Mark Erdos

Pat,

Sorry, can’t help with the leak but thought you’d find this a good read since you are anchored there: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2015-09-03/this-couple-dropped-everything-to-open-a-pizza-boat-in-the-caribbean

Also, Sasha tells a really entertaining story about how they came to be on this podcast: https://www.sailloot.com/sail-loot-podcast-021-pizza-%CF%80-vi-a-pizza-sailboat-in-paradise/

Enjoy!

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, April 1, 2019 8:37 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Pump running

For over a month my water pump comes on for a second,every 15 minutes or so. I have not been able to find any leaks. I just thought of one possibility, a leak in a valve for flushing the membranes ,which is impossible to determine as the outlet is at the waterline. A second possible cause I was think of is the water pump,and this is my question.Can a water pump have an internal leak allowing water to flow back to the tank,thus reducing the pressure and kicking on the pump?
Thanks,
Pat
SM#123
Christmas Cove,USVI

Rainer Huthmacher

Hi Pat,
I had the same problem on my SM once, I just couldn’t find a leak. Turned out that the 3 way valve at the filter for the water maker didn’t close 100%. I simply installed a cock before the filter, problem solved....
Fair winds
Rainer

Pat,

You didn't say which pump you have. If you have the Amel original pump, I can send more information. 

Yes, all marine freshwater systems have a one-way valve, which allows the system to hold pressure. Sometimes this valve will fail, and more often it will get a piece of debris lodged in it. 

Which pump do you have? Picture?

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019, 7:36 AM Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks,
Pat
SM#123
Christmas Cove,USVI

Beaute Olivier

Hello Pat,

according to your hull number, you should have a foot pump in the galley as a back-up.
In order to use it, you need to move a three way valve under the galley sink. It happens sometimes that this valve moves or is moved unwillingly if you hit it. What happens then is that an internal leak is created, but you don't see it as the water from the electric pump (and the pressurized circuit) is returning through the foot pump into the tank. This what I call a "ghost leak".

Check the valve under the galley sink...

Olivier

On Monday, April 1, 2019, 3:05:00 PM GMT+2, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Pat,

You didn't say which pump you have. If you have the Amel original pump, I can send more information. 

Yes, all marine freshwater systems have a one-way valve, which allows the system to hold pressure. Sometimes this valve will fail, and more often it will get a piece of debris lodged in it. 

Which pump do you have? Picture?

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019, 7:36 AM Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks,
Pat
SM#123
Christmas Cove,USVI

Patrick McAneny

Mark, We had their pizza four years ago and two nights ago. It was very good pizza,but then I have never met a pizza I didn’t like. We will read their blog,we were wondering how they got into the business of making pizzas on a boat,they do well.
Pat

Patrick McAneny

Oliver, I did not know to even think of that possibility. I will have a look, we have the foot pedal depress as it would rub on the sink door. Bill I have Jabsco pump ,original long gone.
Thanks,
Pat
Sailing to Culebra

Pat,

The Jabsco pump has an internal one-way valve, but I am not sure it is serviceable. However, with a leaking internal one-way valve, possibly, you can add an external one-way valve:
image.png

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 6:10 AM Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Oliver, I did not know to even think of that possibility. I will have a look, we have the foot pedal depress as it would rub on the sink door. Bill I have Jabsco pump ,original long gone.
Thanks,
Pat
Sailing to Culebra

Pat, 

I am not sure my suggested valve will work for you with a freshwater system pressurized to 2 BAR. The valve I posted is for a suction line.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 8:17 AM CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io <brouse=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Pat,

The Jabsco pump has an internal one-way valve, but I am not sure it is serviceable. However, with a leaking internal one-way valve, possibly, you can add an external one-way valve:
image.png

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 6:10 AM Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks,
Pat
Sailing to Culebra

Edited

Pat, something like this (Home Depot) will work up to 200PSI. I think that you can find these pressure system check valves in many places, especially places that have water wells and accompanying water pumps.

image.png
Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 8:21 AM CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io <brouse=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Pat, 

I am not sure my suggested valve will work for you with a freshwater system pressurized to 2 BAR. The valve I posted is for a suction line.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 8:17 AM CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io <brouse=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Pat,

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

Thanks,
Pat
Sailing to Culebra