Topics

Vetus Coupling - When to Service and Replace Rubber Donuts - Warning

All,

A client of mine recently replaced the Rubber Bushings inside his Vetus Coupling. His SM Yanmar had 4500 hours and zero vibration. Please look at the Rubber Bushings which were removed. It is estimated that within a few hundred hours, there would have been serious problems.
image.png

I recommend that you seriously plan on replacing these rubber bushings (Vetus K018 Bushing Kit) beginning at 3500 hours. Be careful because this job really requires some experience in realigning the engine/transmission/C-Drive. If you are in the Caribbean I recommend Didier at La Marina du Marin. Contact: Didier Lohezic <vaguesca"at"gmail.com> Mobile +596696815722. If you do not use Didier, I recommend that you source the Amel alignment coupling blank seen here:
image.png
You will likely replace the 4 bolts and nuts with:
  • 4 each 10mm diameter, 9cm long threaded studs
  • 8  nylon-insert lock nut
  • Specify for the studs and nuts: Hardened Steel (Grade 8 in the US and normally black in color).

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Bill,

I have in the past shared my story of having this situation in Tonga some years ago. Without going into those details I would comment that unlike the situation if one was changing engine mounts, the bush replacement gave no realignment issues. I removed the 4 bolts securing the motor to the angle iron frames and slid the motor aft to facilitate the replacement process. Then it was just a matter of sliding it back and replacing the bolts into the frames. No realignment needed. Likewise I have replaced the gearbox. Again no realignment needed as this had not changed. Just slide the motor along the frames and slide it back again. Years and many motoring hours trouble free since. The beauty of the Amel engine mount system.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 05 April 2019 at 04:38 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

eric freedman

Hi Bill,

I made that coupling alignment tool. If you would like the drawing of it I will be happy to send it to you .

There is also a trick to remove the coupling as it is the exact same diameter as the input shaft of the C drive.

Fair Winds

Eric

[...]

Bill,

I assumed that you also are suggesting changing the engine mounts. If you don’t, you do not need to realign the engine.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

Your situation was rarer than you think.

A significant amount of owners don't change the Vetus coupling bushings until after the failed bushings has caused the running engine has shaken everything out of alignment.

And, most owners need to change the the motor mounts at the same time.

Thus, the Amel alignment coupling blank.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 1:58 PM eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

[...]

We are in agreement that if the engine mounts are changed alignment is needed.  In my case the bushes had worn through and the bolts holding the coupling together were loose and one was broken and yet no vibration. I had no alignment issues. We were in Tonga at the end of our Pacific crossing. Lucky it lasted.

Moving on. It is impossible to remove the bolts without getting the coupling off the c drive. Getting that off, as has been attested by many, is near impossible.After trying hard to get it off I opted for the simple and effective solution. I cut the heads off and replaced the bolts with nuts at both ends. I lost the locating system on the heads of the bolts but I used nyloc nuts and I have had no issue with the bolts loosening any more than the original. However it is important to regularly check these coupling bolts. Needs to be part of the regular engine room check.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 05 April 2019 at 08:21 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Jamie Wendell

Didier just replaced the coupling on my Amel 54. One of the bolt heads on the shaft brake sheared off leaving just the bolt behind. Luckily it did not come out completely, as that would have destroyed the gearbox and probably my relatively new engine. The Vetus coupling appeared just as in the photo - broken rubber and a couple of the bolts inside were actually sheared off. Had I gone even another 10 hours - well who knows. I saw the bolt-head in the bilge and knew something was not right. I watched it constantly until I arrived in Le Marin.

Didier at Le Marin Martinique is absolutely the best of the best. He replaced everything, which required him to lift up and slide the engine back, remove the gearbox, and even the inner part of the C-drive. A lot of work and all the time he was very calm and joking about the whole thing. Again, I cannot ask for better service and very reasonable costs, although you must pay him in cash.

He replaced all my engine mounts a couple years ago and was just as great then.

I am now a happy camper.
Jamie

Alan Leslie

Hi Eric,

What is the "trick" to removing the coupling from the C drive ?

Cheers
Alan

Alan,

I believe Eric is referring to using bolts and nuts to push it off.
image.png
Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 5:04 PM Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:
Hi Eric,

What is the "trick" to removing the coupling from the C drive ?

Cheers
Alan

eric freedman

Alan,

Did you see the photo on Facebook?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

What is the "trick" to removing the coupling from the C drive ?

Cheers
Alan

Alan Leslie

Eric,
No I didn't.
I'm not on Facebook anymore...I ditched it about 18 months ago.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437