Topics

propeller/engine vibration

Ryan Meador

Hi all,

In the last few days I've noticed a strange, intermittent vibration that seems to be coming from my propeller.

We had the engine mounts and Vetus coupling rubber balls replaced in Le Marin a few months ago, and this vibration does not feel similar to the one from when those needed replacement (and the mounts and coupling still look and feel fine).  This vibration is almost unnoticeable in the cockpit, but you can feel it when trying to sleep in the aft cabin, particularly in your legs (i.e. far aft).  It is rather intermittent, only lasting a few "thumps" at a time.  It seems to correlate when the boat is strongly rolling from one side to the other and often goes away when we're at a constant heel.  It happens more frequently at lower RPMs and it goes away completely at about 2000 RPM and above.  Our C-drive oil and transmission fluid look good.  A diver confirmed our propeller is clean, though he did ask me if the propeller pivots side to side when he came up.  I think he had noticed there is a bit of side to side play due to the rubber mount at the base of the C-drive housing connecting it to the keel.

Have any of you experienced something similar before?

Thanks,

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Charleston, SC, USA

There should be a stud/nut and possibly a bushing under that mastic on the bottom of the C-DRIVE. This stabilizes the C-DRIVE from any twisting due to thrust. Inspect it by removing the mastic.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Apr 6, 2019, 12:35 PM Ryan Meador <ryan.d.meador@...> wrote:
[...]

eric freedman

If you notice that the mastic is domed and not flat where the c drive is fastened to the Keel then you definitely have to remove the mastic clean up the area and clean the bolt. Make sure to apply grease and use a torque wrench if you have one to torque the bolt down tight. If you are in the water you can inspect the mastic and if it is domed you have a problem., If it is flat that is not your problem.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

Craig & Katherine Briggs

Eric - is there a spec for the lbf (or N-m) to torque it to?
I just snug it with a socket wrench between "pretty tight and really tight" - seems fine.
My propeller, on the other hand, does specify 60 lbf for the shaft nut.
Craig

eric freedman

Craig,

I usually look up the torque specifications for the bolt if I want it really tight.

Most times just tight to my touch with a wrench or socket.

I recall looking up the torque for the C drive bolt but I don’t recall it .

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Eric - is there a spec for the lbf (or N-m) to torque it to?
I just snug it with a socket wrench between "pretty tight and really tight" - seems fine.
My propeller, on the other hand, does specify 60 lbf for the shaft nut.
Craig

Dave Ritten <daveritten@...>

Check that the prop is clean and also take note - when was the last time you greased it? You can lubricate the prop without a haul out if you think it through. We had a similar situation and after some underwater greasing the problem disappeared.
Dave

On 7/04/2019, at 7:10 PM, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

[...]

Giovanni TESTA

Hi to all,

is it possible to find some photos about this part/bolt on Photos section or drawing ?

Many thanks

Giovanni TESTA

Sv EUTIKIA  SM 428

Almerimar_Spagna

Il 07/04/2019 09:10, eric freedman ha scritto:

[...]

Hi Giovanni,

I do not have a photo because it is not visible. It is sealed with a black silicone sealant at the base of the C drive at the keel. It looks like a black silicone circle about 25-30 mm in diameter. The silicone should be flat. You can dive down and see it with a light it is quite visible.

[...]

Check these photos out: https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/album?id=84454

Bill Rouse
Yacht School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

eric freedman

Hi,

The drawing is upside down but I was referring to the bolt marked F.