Topics

Diesel Class

karkauai

Hi all,
 I tried a couple of years ago to put together a diesel maintenance and repair class for Amel owners with Mac Boring in New Jersey. I couldn’t make it work then, but I am going to try again.  They make an effort to have the engines available that we own, when ever possible.  In years past they had 4-6 participants on each engine who took it apart and put it back together again.  They are now offering 2-3 day classes on maintenance and simple repairs, but are willing to work with us and develop a more comprehensive class if that’s what we want.

id like to do it in late July, August or September if possible.

Anyone interested in a comprehensive (4 to 7 day) class, please contact me at karkauai@....  I’ll need your engine make and model, a description of what you’d like to get out of the class, and any dates which will NOT work for you.

I will compile the results and see what they can put together for us.

Please let me know as soon as possible so I can get to work on this.
thanks
Kent
Kristy
SM 243

Mike Ondra

Hey Kent. Sure sounds appealing, and NJ is close. I would prefer class on Volvo TMD22. Thanks for giving this another shot.
Mike
Aletes SM240

On Apr 7, 2019, at 5:57 PM, karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai@...> wrote:

[...]

Furthermore. Late July not good.
Interested in what I would consider “minor” overhaul or “deep” service. Not down to opening the block and pulling pistons, but all the peripheral stuff, 4000-5000 hr. Service type stuff, to get her running in top form.

[...]

Alan "Woody" Wood

Sounds like a superb idea Kent but I bit far for us unfortunately - currently in Med.
Just a thought but would it be possible to video such a course? I know it's no substitute for getting your hands dirty but great reference material. You could monetise it by putting it through Patreon / Vimeo etc. I'd also second Mike's preference of TMD22

Cheers..

Woody
SM#189

Mark Erdos

Kent,

There is a very good diesel class in Annapolis at the Annapolis School of Seamanship. It is divided into two parts, the first two days being basic maintenance and second two days being advanced diagnostics. I took both segments and highly recommend it. It is not cheap. The class includes hands on time on engines. For the final exam, I was in a group of three and our task was to start the engine we were assigned. It took us all day to get it running smoothly but it was at this point I realize how much I had learned.

This is one of the most in demand classes at the AASS. They sell out well in advance and can be booked on-line. The second class has about half the seats of the first due to the time spent in the workshop on the engines.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - San Blas Islands, Panama

www.creampuff.us

[...]

Thanks Mark, good to hear.  I contacted them this morning.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Apr 8, 2019, at 7:36 AM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Woody,
I don’t know if they would allow us to video it or not. If so, I could set up a go pro and just videoed the whole thing.

If that’s possible I will see what I can do.

[...]

Mike and Mohammad
So far it’s just the three of us, unless more express an interest, I’m sure that won’t be enough to have a special class for Amelians.

Mark Erdos had a good experience with a comprehensive class at the Annapolis School of Seamanship.  I’m looking into options and will let you know what I find out.
Kent

On Apr 8, 2019, at 9:54 AM, karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai@...> wrote:

[...]

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Kent;

Thanks, If it helps, my wife Aty will also be attending.

Respectfully;

Mohammad Shirloo

+1-323-633-2222  Cell

+1-424-644-0908  Fax

[...]

Cool!  Iris, too!

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Apr 8, 2019, at 10:12 AM, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

[...]

Arlo

I would be interested in a the class if they have my engine, the perkins 4-236M. Interest level is everything from routine maintenance to repair. As long as its in the U.S. I can make most dates work given a few weeks notice. Just need to avoid the last week of June and last week.of September.

karkauai

Hi Arlo,
So far I have 6 interested and one 75%.  Three have the Volvo TMD22, two have Yanmars, and you with the Perkins.  I doubt we’d be lucky enough to find a class with all three engines (or even two) available.  I’ll ask about the Perkins, and if anyone has it I’ll let you know.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Apr 8, 2019, at 10:32 AM, Arlo <svplanb@...> wrote:

I would be interested in a the class if they have my engine, the perkins 4-236M. Interest level is everything from routine maintenance to repair. As long as its in the U.S. I can make most dates work given a few weeks notice. Just need to avoid the last week of June and last week.of September.

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hi Gang,

From a good friend, superb diesel wrenched, the Volvo is a rebranded/repainted Perkins M80T.

If the class providers can arrange a Volvo, all should go well.

Lovely initiative regarding engine classes.  Can’t make it though

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre, SY Eleuthera, SM007

On 9 Apr 2019, at 02:53, karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai@...> wrote:

Hi Arlo,
So far I have 6 interested and one 75%.  Three have the Volvo TMD22, two have Yanmars, and you with the Perkins.  I doubt we’d be lucky enough to find a class with all three engines (or even two) available.  I’ll ask about the Perkins, and if anyone has it I’ll let you know.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Apr 8, 2019, at 10:32 AM, Arlo <svplanb@...> wrote:

I would be interested in a the class if they have my engine, the perkins 4-236M. Interest level is everything from routine maintenance to repair. As long as its in the U.S. I can make most dates work given a few weeks notice. Just need to avoid the last week of June and last week.of September.

karkauai

Thanks, JP!

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Apr 8, 2019, at 10:58 AM, Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...> wrote:

Hi Gang,

From a good friend, superb diesel wrenched, the Volvo is a rebranded/repainted Perkins M80T.

[...]

Barbara Stringfellow <bb16negri@...>

Hi, We are 2 coming from Italy. Available July but not August or September. Our motor is Perkins 4154. Our goals are trouble shooting, repairs, etc. Thanks

karkauai

Hi Barbara,  that puts us at 9 + (6 boats with three couples)interested so far.  Two have Perkins, two have Yanmar 4JH series, and two have Volvo TMD22s.  I doubt we’d be lucky enough to find a class with all three engines available, but I guess the Perkins and Volvo are very similar??  If the class cannot be offered with your engine, are you still interested?
Kent & Iris

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819