Topics

Fuel Polishing

ngtnewington Newington

Any opinions or better ideas, would be well received.

I am thinking of rigging a simple fuel polishing system that utilises the existing Racor set up.

Between the Racor filters and the engine insert a Y valve that goes to the engine or to a new inline 24v fuel pump (120 lph) that then goes to the fuel return line with a T connector.

In polishing mode, in a harbour or at anchor, with the engine off, the Y valve is set to send the fuel to the pump which is turned on, and back to the tank via the fuel return line. The fuel is circulated all day or overnight and is filtered.

At the end just go back to normal mode and change the filter, check for debris.

Any thoughts? Total cost would be £45 for the pump plus a few fittings and a bit of hose. Call it £100.

Hello,

 Can I encourage you to identify yourself, the name and number of your Amel and where it is ? Its just makes it easier for anyone else to respond.

 I do wonder about the necessity of fuel polishing. We have twin Racors before the engine fuel filter itself and only once in almost 30 years of owning three Amels have we had a problem with dirty fuel, a problem quickly fixed by switching from one Racor filter to the other. This is despite 8 years in third world countries with few leisure marine facilities

 What is rarely mentioned is that diesel engines recycle back to the fuel tank more litres every hour than they consume. With the D2-75  I'm told that that can be as much as 75%. The effect of this is that you automatically have a fuel polishing system in place.

I should be interested to hear of other experiences.

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 Lavrion, Greece

Any opinions or better ideas, would be well received.

I am thinking of rigging a simple fuel polishing system that utilises the existing Racor set up.

Between the Racor filters and the engine insert a Y valve that goes to the engine or to a new inline 24v fuel pump (120 lph) that then goes to the fuel return line with a T connector.

In polishing mode, in a harbour or at anchor, with the engine off, the Y valve is set to send the fuel to the pump which is turned on, and back to the tank via the fuel return line. The fuel is circulated all day or overnight and is filtered.

At the end just go back to normal mode and change the filter, check for debris.

Any thoughts? Total cost would be £45 for the pump plus a few fittings and a bit of hose. Call it £100.

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Ian,

thanks for this. I was going to say the same but not knowing the number. I was once trouble shooting a fuel issue and rigged a 5 litre mini tank on the supply side, leaving the fuel return from the injector pump in place to the main tank.I was startled how quickly the 5 litre tank emptied. Obviously far more fuel is circulated than is used.

Having said that I have had my fuel tank cleaned when I was chasing a solution to low revs. (things you do when you've tried every thing) There was a build up of sludge that was not being picked up by the fuel supply pipe and thus causing no trouble. I put the boat on a dock. The fuel cleaner parked his gear alongside and circulated all my fuel through his system while agitating the tank. I could not believe the filth that he got out. Buckets of it. He started with a coarse filter and got a lot out, then finer and finally very fine. Had he started with the fine it would have clogged. However it was not the solution, I still had the problem but very clean fuel.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 10 April 2019 at 06:30 "ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@...>" <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:

[...]

35,000 miles and around the world I only had to throw the valve on the double Racor once, and never lost power.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019, 2:30 PM ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@...> <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:
[...]

Colin - ex SV Island Pearl

Since we are now 50% through a circumnavigation we have been very happy to have a fuel polishing system on board when some other yachts travelling through Indonesia with us experienced fuel problems.

The fuel there was often very dirty with all sorts of muck in it including match sticks, bits of plastic etc.

Other than Indonesia we have rarely had bad fuel but in any event NEVER put fuel straight into our tanks without either going through the Baja or Fuel Polisher.

More important than pending a lot on a comprehensive fuel polishing unit is to have a good transportable fuel filter (e.g. Baja or West Marine type), as well as installing dual Racor fuel filters with quick change over valve.

Our polishing unit has a Y valve so we also use it to suck fuel out of jerry cans directly to the tank. In this way we can immediately reject fuel if supplied with water in it, but in particular, this provides a zero fuel spillage transfer system whilst at sea which we like.

Colin & Lauren Streeter
SV Island Pearl II, AM #332
Amel Rally, Martinique

On Tue, 9 Apr. 2019, 15:18 CW Bill Rouse, <brouse@...> wrote:
[...]

Barbara Stringfellow <bb16negri@...>

Hi,
Wouldn't it be counterproductive to filter the diesel and put it right back into the tank? We use a shaker siphon (costs about 10€) with a weight on one end to get down to the gook. As being poured into the jerry cans, we filter with "Mr. Funnel" sold on Amazon 60€, the same that is used by US aeronautics. Actually it's become our newest best friend and we use it when going to the station, works great for removing water. Then the tanks get cleaned. Fuel stabilizers, biocides and water control are the trinity of treatment.

Barbara
Maramu #32

eric freedman

Hi Ian and Judy,
You forgot to mention your pre-fill filtering system. Thank you so much for that idea. I think I have about 86,000 miles on Kimberlite and never had a problem.
Fair Winds,
Eric
Sm 376 Kimberlite

On Tue, Apr 09, 2019 at 03:18 PM, CW Bill Rouse wrote:

[...]

Hi Eric ,

You’re right . When we bought Pen Azen we had Amel fit a big truck filter in line with the diesel intake . In the starboard cockpit locker we have a cock in the diesel hose which allows us to fill the tank either directly ( if we are confident of the fuel quality ) or divert the fuel through the big filter , propelled by an electric pump , and then into the tank .
Back in EU waters we rarely use the big filter but it was very useful elsewhere.

On 10 Apr 2019, at 00:19, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

[...]

I also use the same filter that you specified. I use 2 micron filters in the racor with no problems.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Any opinions or better ideas, would be well received.

I am thinking of rigging a simple fuel polishing system that utilises the existing Racor set up.

Between the Racor filters and the engine insert a Y valve that goes to the engine or to a new inline 24v fuel pump (120 lph) that then goes to the fuel return line with a T connector.

In polishing mode, in a harbour or at anchor, with the engine off, the Y valve is set to send the fuel to the pump which is turned on, and back to the tank via the fuel return line. The fuel is circulated all day or overnight and is filtered.

At the end just go back to normal mode and change the filter, check for debris.

Any thoughts? Total cost would be £45 for the pump plus a few fittings and a bit of hose. Call it £100.

Dan Carlson

My only experience with my boat and I have also discuss used with several other cruisers who have had similar problems is that you can get some water and microorganisms that form gelatenois blobs at the bottom of the tank.  They generally behave and stay put until you are in rough seas with low fuel level in the tank. Then the sloshing breaks them loose.  I did not experience any clogging as I saw the first signs of junk in the racor filters.  The fuel tank had only about 100 liters in it so when I opened the inspection ports I could see the globs on the bottom of the tank.  I attached a 3 meter length of fuel hose to the fuel dip stick with a couple zip ties and then using a 4 liter fluid extractor I sucked each of the remaining blobs of gunk out.  Less than $100 invested.

I can tell you that if you have 200 liters in your tank you will probably not be able to see the bottom, but a fellow cruiser just borrowed my rig last month an successfully sucked about 20liters of dirty fuel off the bottom of his full tank just by sweeping across the bottom.  He stopped when the fuel coming out became clean.

Daniel Carlson, Sm#387, sv BeBe