Anchor Chain Size and Length

Jose Venegas

I am getting ready to replace my current anchor chain.   The chain that was installed by the yard 7 years ago tends to jump when enough force is made by the windlass, which I imagine is because is not the exact size for the original windlass on Ipanema.
First question: Do you know what size chain should be used?  I am still going to buy a sample before getting the full length to make sure it fits well, but I may save time and money if I try the proper one first.

A second question: how long (meters or feet) of chain are recommended for long distance cruising.  I find that 100 meter is too short and restricts the anchorages I can use.

Jose Venegas
Ipanema, SM2K 278
Boston

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Jose,

Chain size. May be either 10 mm or 3/8 inch gypsy. You need to check. Good idea to take the gypsy with you when you go to buy the chain. Check for wear on the gypsy, that may be why it skips although even right size and good condition will skip under high loading. We have 100 m of chain and a further 70 m of heavy nylon anchor rode (rope)  spliced to the chain. Very important that the rode never makes contact with coral as it would cut. I found this to be a good combination. I spliced it through two links to get it to fit and did a nice tight splice so it would go down the hawse pipe. The gypsy will grip the rode if you find a way to apply a little pressure to the rode onto the gypsy.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 11 April 2019 at 08:10 "Jose Venegas via Groups.Io" <josegvenegas@...> wrote:

I am getting ready to replace my current anchor chain.   The chain that was installed by the yard 7 years ago tends to jump when enough force is made by the windlass, which I imagine is because is not the exact size for the original windlass on Ipanema.
First question: Do you know what size chain should be used?  I am still going to buy a sample before getting the full length to make sure it fits well, but I may save time and money if I try the proper one first.

A second question: how long (meters or feet) of chain are recommended for long distance cruising.  I find that 100 meter is too short and restricts the anchorages I can use.

Jose Venegas
Ipanema, SM2K 278
Boston

ngtnewington Newington

Hi Jose,

After two circumnavigations, in two yachts, and a lot of cruising in other vessels including my latest Amel 54, I say that you have to compromise. Of course more chain would be nice on occasion but that needs to be weighed against stowage and a heavy weight in the bow. 100m of 10mm chain (250kg) is about the maximum you can  stow and is generally sufficient. If in extremis you can add some nylon rope. I have noted though that when anchoring in say more than 25m less scope often holds quite well. Three to one in 30m of water holds whilst in 3m of water 9m will not do it. However if on short scope and it starts to blow you ain’t gonna sleep well. It is just one of those things. There is only so much chain you can practically have. You can though go for a really good modern anchor like maybe a Rocna, say 40 Kg and 100m 10mm chain and the windlass /stowage. You will have a pretty solid system.

On the gypsy should be stamped the chain size iso/din etc often on the underside. As Danny says you must check it for wear.

Nick

Amelia

Aml 54-019 La Palma

On 10 Apr 2019, at 21:55, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

[...]

Theo s/v Paloma

Edited

On my A50, Amel is installing 100m of 10mm G4 chain. I plan to splice 30m of 8-plait rode at the end of it, for the deeper anchorages, or stronger blows. The factory recommended the 35kg Ultra anchor, but I will have the Ultra 45kg. I know it's on the heavier side, but I like to sleep well at night.

Theo.
s/v Paloma
2019 A50 #18, handover in 2 weeks

Jose Venegas

Thank you guys,  I was mistaken, My current chain length is 60 m.  Clearly, 100m plus extra 30 of rope should be plenty.

Theo, congratulations on Paloma.  The Ultra anchor is beautiful.

Jose
Ipanema

Theo s/v Paloma

Thank you!

I hope the Ultra works as good as it looks. I wasn't looking for a SS anchor but Amel told me that anchors with bars wouldn't fit the A50. So, we'll see...

I've used Manson Supreme and Rocna on previous boats and I was very pleased by them.

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello Theo,

I’ve had a ULTRA since 2015.  It has yet to drag if set properly.  It is the 35 KG version.

I’ve gone from Turkey to New Zealand in the meantime ; it’s a good looking piece of SS sitting on your bow.

Enjoy your boat!

Jean-Pierre Germain, SY Eleuthera, SM 007, NZ.

On 13 Apr 2019, at 07:37, s/v Paloma <sailingpaloma1@...> wrote:

Thank you!

I hope the Ultra works as good as it looks. I wasn't looking for a SS anchor but Amel told me that anchors with bars wouldn't fit the A50. So, we'll see...

I've used Manson Supreme and Rocna on previous boats and I was very pleased by them.

Theo s/v Paloma

Edited

Thank you Jean-Pierre.

I spent 3 seasons in the S. Pacific with my previous boat, Lagoon 450. I used NZ for off season, which was ideal. I had an unforgettable time... I plan to go again with my A50. I found catamarans to be miserable, but safe, in rough ocean. They are best on anchor.

I also went through some of the strongest storms I've ever experienced. I had a 35 kg Manson Supreme for my 450 and I only dragged once in Opua because of the river mud bottom. So, I'm hoping that the 45kg Ultra will be at least comparable. The 450 has much more windage .I'm glad you like your Ultra. I've read good things about them.

Enjoy the S. Pacific. It's amazing there.

Theo
Paloma
2019 A50 #18