Topics

SM Chain Counter


Thomas Peacock
 

I am in the process of trying to fix our chain counter, which has not worked since we purchased the boat several years ago.
Troubleshooting thus far points to a probable short in the sensor up by the windlass.
I have purchased a nearly identical new sensor; the only difference is the old sensor is "normally closed", while the new sensor is "normally open".
Anyone have any thoughts on whether the different open/closed setting will make a difference?

Thanks as always to all on this invaluable forum.

Tom Peacock
SM #240 Aletes
St Augustine, Florida, soon to depart for the Cheseapeake


Ryan Meador
 

Hi Tom,

I don't know how the stock chain counter works, but I was able to fix the one on our boat (I don't think it's original) by duct taping a magnet to the windlass.  I'm unsure if the original magnet fell off or just lost its magnetism, there's just a tiny rusty insert where it should be. The sensor was fine.  What makes you think there is a short in your sensor?  If you're just looking at the output of the sensor with a voltmeter while the windlass is running, it's possible the pulse is happening too fast for the meter to react.  You might want to try using an oscilloscope if you haven't already.

I think it's unlikely your new sensor will hurt anything, since it will be providing the same signals as the existing one -- just with opposite duty cycle.  You may find that it works perfectly if the display is edge-triggered rather than level-triggered, as I suspect it is.  if you do find you need to invert the signal, it should be possible by adding a relay. The exact way to wire it up will depend on specifics of your system.

Good luck,

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Southport, NC, USA


On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 12:59 PM Thomas Peacock <peacock8491@...> wrote:
I am in the process of trying to fix our chain counter, which has not worked since we purchased the boat several years ago.
Troubleshooting thus far points to a probable short in the sensor up by the windlass.
I have purchased a nearly identical new sensor; the only difference is the old sensor is "normally closed", while the new sensor is "normally open".
Anyone have any thoughts on whether the different open/closed setting will make a difference?

Thanks as always to all on this invaluable forum.

Tom Peacock
SM #240 Aletes
St Augustine, Florida, soon to depart for the Cheseapeake


 

Ryan,

Amel owners should never admit to the use of duct tape. 😀

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970


On Fri, Apr 12, 2019, 6:11 PM Ryan Meador <ryan.d.meador@...> wrote:
Hi Tom,

I don't know how the stock chain counter works, but I was able to fix the one on our boat (I don't think it's original) by duct taping a magnet to the windlass.  I'm unsure if the original magnet fell off or just lost its magnetism, there's just a tiny rusty insert where it should be. The sensor was fine.  What makes you think there is a short in your sensor?  If you're just looking at the output of the sensor with a voltmeter while the windlass is running, it's possible the pulse is happening too fast for the meter to react.  You might want to try using an oscilloscope if you haven't already.

I think it's unlikely your new sensor will hurt anything, since it will be providing the same signals as the existing one -- just with opposite duty cycle.  You may find that it works perfectly if the display is edge-triggered rather than level-triggered, as I suspect it is.  if you do find you need to invert the signal, it should be possible by adding a relay. The exact way to wire it up will depend on specifics of your system.

Good luck,

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Southport, NC, USA


On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 12:59 PM Thomas Peacock <peacock8491@...> wrote:
I am in the process of trying to fix our chain counter, which has not worked since we purchased the boat several years ago.
Troubleshooting thus far points to a probable short in the sensor up by the windlass.
I have purchased a nearly identical new sensor; the only difference is the old sensor is "normally closed", while the new sensor is "normally open".
Anyone have any thoughts on whether the different open/closed setting will make a difference?

Thanks as always to all on this invaluable forum.

Tom Peacock
SM #240 Aletes
St Augustine, Florida, soon to depart for the Cheseapeake


Craig Briggs
 

HEAR! HEAR!


islandpearl2_sm2k332
 

Our original Amel chain counter had always worked perfect till we arrived in the Caribbean. I tried everything to fix it myself to no avail then asked Amel here in Martinique who put me onto Pouchon Electronics at Le Marin marina who are the only shop in the Caribbean to hold the replacement sensors.

280 euros and 20mins job by them and our Amel chain counter is like new again.

We also replaced our old chain here with 110m of new top grade French manufactured 10mm P30 chain for just 750 Euro.

As others commented here this is avai5 at Le Ship Chanderly at Le Marin which seems like the best place by far for Amel bits and pieces. 

Colin & Lauren
SV Island Pearl II #332
St Anne's anchorage

On Sat, 13 Apr. 2019, 08:24 Craig Briggs via Groups.Io, <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
HEAR! HEAR!


Thomas Peacock
 

Thanks for your insights. I’m pretty sure the old sensor is blown because when it is online, the fuse on the Sailor 24V->12V transformer blows.

I’ll be on the boat in a couple of weeks and work on it. It seems like a pretty simple system, the digital display was working, the junction box above the galley looks good. I have both a new sensor and a relay to change the normally off to on if necessary. I’ll share any insights if I get it to work.

Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes
Chesapeake Bay

On Apr 13, 2019, at 10:43 AM, islandpearl2_sm2k332 <colin.d.streeter@...> wrote:

Our original Amel chain counter had always worked perfect till we arrived in the Caribbean. I tried everything to fix it myself to no avail then asked Amel here in Martinique who put me onto Pouchon Electronics at Le Marin marina who are the only shop in the Caribbean to hold the replacement sensors.

280 euros and 20mins job by them and our Amel chain counter is like new again.

We also replaced our old chain here with 110m of new top grade French manufactured 10mm P30 chain for just 750 Euro.

As others commented here this is avai5 at Le Ship Chanderly at Le Marin which seems like the best place by far for Amel bits and pieces. 

Colin & Lauren
SV Island Pearl II #332
St Anne's anchorage

On Sat, 13 Apr. 2019, 08:24 Craig Briggs via Groups.Io, <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
HEAR! HEAR!