Topics

100 amp charger on sm2k

Thomas Kleman

My original 100 amp Dolphin died about 4 years ago, and it made me nervous anyway because it lacked a battery temperature sensor. I replaced it with a 100 amp Mastervolt charger, which seems to have died this weekend....having verified all connections and voltage and still getting nothing. Wondering what others have chosen when replacing the Dolphin. Having done several hours of customer complaint sleuthing it seems that the Mastervolt can be temperature sensitive and the battery chargers on a SM are relatively close to the gen.

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Thomas. If the dolphin is still available I would go with them. I replaced mine 5 or 6 years ago and found the company very good and the chargers work well.

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 28 April 2019 at 19:16 Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:

My original 100 amp Dolphin died about 4 years ago, and it made me nervous anyway because it lacked a battery temperature sensor. I replaced it with a 100 amp Mastervolt charger, which seems to have died this weekend....having verified all connections and voltage and still getting nothing. Wondering what others have chosen when replacing the Dolphin. Having done several hours of customer complaint sleuthing it seems that the Mastervolt can be temperature sensitive and the battery chargers on a SM are relatively close to the gen.

Danny,

I have seen more Mastervolt chargers fail on 54s in about 5-10 years of life that I have seen Dolphin chargers in 20 years of life on SMs. And remember there are more than twice as many SMs.

I don't have any specific data, but I believe that Victron may currently offer the best charger. I was told that Dolphin ownership changed about 2006...I am not sure about this.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Apr 28, 2019, 8:01 AM Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi Thomas. If the dolphin is still available I would go with them. I replaced mine 5 or 6 years ago and found the company very good and the chargers work well.

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 28 April 2019 at 19:16 Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:

My original 100 amp Dolphin died about 4 years ago, and it made me nervous anyway because it lacked a battery temperature sensor. I replaced it with a 100 amp Mastervolt charger, which seems to have died this weekend....having verified all connections and voltage and still getting nothing. Wondering what others have chosen when replacing the Dolphin. Having done several hours of customer complaint sleuthing it seems that the Mastervolt can be temperature sensitive and the battery chargers on a SM are relatively close to the gen.

Mark Erdos

Tom,

Victron Energy, in my opinion, makes the best chargers.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - San Blas Islands, Panama

www.creampuff.us