Outhaul-furler motor shaft failure

Mike Ondra

We have now had the second Leroy Somer motor shaft shear off where in enters the gearbox. First the outhaul 2 years ago, and now the mainsail furler. Sheared at same location. Rust evidence of possible stress crack that eventually left maybe 10%-15% of the shaft in tact that then sheared off. Aletes is 20 years old. Has anyone else experienced this? Had a spare for the first failure, now sourcing a replacement for the second failure.

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM#240

Chesapeake Bay

Mike Ondra

Upon disassembly of the gear box I found that the top furler gearbox main bearing had seized. This could well have been the origin of the shaft failure. These gear boxes being mounted with the shaft vertical are subject to water intrusion from above. I saw similar but not as severe deterioration on the outhaul gearbox several years ago when I rebuilt it. This bearing is above and probably not receiving grease, so even with the grease nipple configuration may be vulnerable. It might be a good idea at several year intervals to take apart the gearbox to check and possibly replace this bearing. They cost less than $20. Strategies to keep water off the top of these gearboxes would be helpful however difficult they may be to execute.

Anyway replacement of the Leroy Somers motor seems to be a problem. It appears that this model is no longer in production, there is no inventory, and they do not have a replacement with these specs. I have not as of yet heard from Maud if Amel may have this motor. Searching for a like spec/dimension motor on the internet gets close, but not perfect, matches relative to hp/Kw, rpm, Intrusion Protection, Insulation, shaft diameter/length, etc.

BTW, the manual furling system works quite well, but obviously not convenient.

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM#240

Rock Hall, MD