Topics

Wind Generators

islandpearl2_sm2k332

Yes, no doubt a compromise for some but ofor us out here, we never take our awning down.

Actually on Island Pearl we have the complete (as new) original Amel supplied fold back awning permanently sitting under the new higher and wider one. The new one is done in a way that it is never removed.

We did not like the original one as it had no windows facing forwards above the cockpit hard top and was difficult to see the sails plus lacked decent air flow through the cockpit. Using the new one there is excellent viability and no need to remove.

Colin
SV Island Pearl II #332
Panama

On Mon, 6 May 2019, 02:20 Alan Leslie, <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:
Impressive !, but it means the cockpit is permanently covered...maybe not so bad these days !
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Alan Leslie

Impressive !, but it means the cockpit is permanently covered...maybe not so bad these days !
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

islandpearl2_sm2k332

Here are a few pics today. Still experimenting with angles to sun so outer two panels tied on before bolting through, but note the aluminium welded bars between stays and again at rear between mizzen mast and stays.

On Sat, 4 May 2019, 08:07 Sailing Island Pearl, <colin.d.streeter@...> wrote:
Hi Alan

We have 540w on the rear arch and 500w on top of cockpit area.

For the cockpit top I inherited and nicely welded/shaped aluminium bar from SM SV Oris which attaches to the two fwd mizzen stays. At the rear I have alumni bars from mizzen mast to rear mizzen stays.

Will send you a pic direct.

Great to have the serenity and peace of mind at anchorages when one sees other SM genders gurgling away seemingly endlessly.

On Sat, 4 May 2019, 03:56 Alan Leslie, <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:
Hi Colin,

What is your physical arrangement for mounting all these solar panels?
We have 600w on the arch and found we can mostly get away with running the Onan every second day, but we are certainly more frugal with electricity
Cheers
Alan

Teun BAAS

I have the Superwind on my solar arch very close to the aft Master cabin. No vibration nor noise at all. Very happy and it generates around 5Amps/hour here in the South Pacific.

Combined with 875 solar I am energy positive while sailing.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

Plage de PEDE  MARE  NEW CALEDONIA

May 5, 2019 21:34:31

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joerg Esdorn via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, May 3, 2019 16:51
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Wind Generators

My Superwind does not create any noises or vibrations.  It is attached to the mizzen mast via a decoupling device that does not transmit vibrations.   It is expensive, though.  

Joerg Esdorn

A55 #53

Kincsem

Nicolas Klene

Hi Colin 
I would love to see the picture of your solar arrangement too if possible !
more than 1Kwatt of solar power , has to be seen :-))
safe passage 
nick

islandpearl2_sm2k332

Hi Alan

We have 540w on the rear arch and 500w on top of cockpit area.

For the cockpit top I inherited and nicely welded/shaped aluminium bar from SM SV Oris which attaches to the two fwd mizzen stays. At the rear I have alumni bars from mizzen mast to rear mizzen stays.

Will send you a pic direct.

Great to have the serenity and peace of mind at anchorages when one sees other SM genders gurgling away seemingly endlessly.

On Sat, 4 May 2019, 03:56 Alan Leslie, <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:
Hi Colin,

We have 600w on the arch and found we can mostly get away with running the Onan every second day, but we are certainly more frugal with electricity
Cheers
Alan

ofer magen

Hi, 
Thanks for sharing. 
How and where did you install the extra solar panels? 

SY ALBA 
Amel 54 160
Ofer Magen

Alan Leslie

Hi Colin,

Cheers
Alan

islandpearl2_sm2k332

Hi Gary

After 2 years cruising with the two Rutland 1200's we are still delighted with them. Had dual Airx and Airbreeze wind gens on our last boat and these are better in every way.

Your wind gens however will only ever be incremental amps with solar being the key driver, but without two of them you will absolutely never stop the need for daily generator use.

How much solar? We started off with 540w and had to run the genset morning and night. (note we have two freezers running all the time for 8 months out in the remote Indian Ocean & now again as we are stocked up for 7 months crossing the Pacific).

540w was clearly insufficient so in Malaysia we added another 280w taking us to 820w total run through two independent solar controllers for redundancy.

Whilst better, we still found yourself using the genset approx1 hr morning and night. (I had crew in the Indian Ocean & Atlantic oceans so we had 5 computer's, numerous ipads, cameras etc..Also I should point out we use a electric kettle jug and induction stove exclusively with  very little gas use except when oven baking food. 

Unlike now when it is just Lauren and I in the Caribbean and crossing the Pacific, with crew we found our fast boiling electric kettle was used at lib very inefficiently ie. each crew boiling it every time they wanted a hot drink. This wasted a lot of power and I was equally surprised at how much power each PC drained from the batteries.

Wind forward to the Caribbean and I added another 200W again through another independent controller taking our solar to 1.04kw and BINGO!!!

Now with just two of us on board, we are able to run the boat energy needs totally off solar and wind alone. What a pleasure!!!  ...not only in saving genset wear and tear and noise, but also for the extended fuel range we now have as the genset, although frugal in diesel use, actually chews up a large portion of your fuel reserves reducing substantially your motoring range if you ever needed it. For example we set off next week on a direct Panama to Marquesas sail of 4000nm without stopping at Galapagos in windless doldrum conditions, so for us, not wasting fuel through the genset can sometimes be a huge bonus providing peace of mind.

Only sometimes when night sailing down wind in the trades do I find it necessary to run the genset for an hour or less. In the Caribbean however, we found the two Rutland powered our night sailing needs fine as we were generally on a beam reach, with the wind gens pumping in significantly more power than the autopilot, lights and freezers needed.

Thought I'd share this as others may also be wondering about how much solar is enough in the quest to run a typical Amel power needs totally on nature to leave a lighter environmental footprint.

Colin & Lauren Streeter
Shelter Bay Marina. Panama
SV Island Pearl II, SM#332 
(soon for sale when we complete our circumnavigation in either New Zealand or Brisbane)

On Thu, 2 May 2019, 08:53 Gary Wells, <gary@...> wrote:
Just replaced an ancient Air-x with a Rutland 1200.  
The new level of sound from the Rutland is such a nice change from the Air-x.  I won't ever complain about the "noise" when I can remember the db level of the old one. 
Can't wait till we add some solar later this year ;)

Gary W.
SM298, Adagio
St.Thomas, USVI

Joerg Esdorn

My Superwind does not create any noises or vibrations.  It is attached to the mizzen mast via a decoupling device that does not transmit vibrations.   It is expensive, though.  

Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53
Kincsem

Gary Wells

Just replaced an ancient Air-x with a Rutland 1200.  
The new level of sound from the Rutland is such a nice change from the Air-x.  I won't ever complain about the "noise" when I can remember the db level of the old one. 
Can't wait till we add some solar later this year ;)

Gary W.
SM298, Adagio
St.Thomas, USVI

ngtnewington Newington

I have two Rutland 1200’s on Amelia and two 275w solar.
For the money the solar payback is a no brainer. Money well spent.
As for the WG’s. The payback is poor and although the blades are silent there is a resonating hum that is annoying at night in the aft cabin.
However there are occasions whilst on passage, when it gets a bit rough and the autopilot is working hard, maybe it is raining and the visibility poor and the radar on 24/7 plus all the navigation instruments. When one would normally be pulling 15A out of the batteries. That they come into their own and really chuck out the power such that the batteries just stay full.
Would I do it again......Probably but if money is tight no.

Nick
Amelia in Funchal waiting for my crew to sail to Corfu
AML54-019