Topics

Wind Generators

islandpearl2_sm2k332

Yes, no doubt a compromise for some but ofor us out here, we never take our awning down.

Actually on Island Pearl we have the complete (as new) original Amel supplied fold back awning permanently sitting under the new higher and wider one. The new one is done in a way that it is never removed.

We did not like the original one as it had no windows facing forwards above the cockpit hard top and was difficult to see the sails plus lacked decent air flow through the cockpit. Using the new one there is excellent viability and no need to remove.

Colin
SV Island Pearl II #332
Panama

On Mon, 6 May 2019, 02:20 Alan Leslie, <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:
Impressive !, but it means the cockpit is permanently covered...maybe not so bad these days !
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Alan Leslie

Impressive !, but it means the cockpit is permanently covered...maybe not so bad these days !
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

islandpearl2_sm2k332

Here are a few pics today. Still experimenting with angles to sun so outer two panels tied on before bolting through, but note the aluminium welded bars between stays and again at rear between mizzen mast and stays.

On Sat, 4 May 2019, 08:07 Sailing Island Pearl, <colin.d.streeter@...> wrote:
Hi Alan

We have 540w on the rear arch and 500w on top of cockpit area.

For the cockpit top I inherited and nicely welded/shaped aluminium bar from SM SV Oris which attaches to the two fwd mizzen stays. At the rear I have alumni bars from mizzen mast to rear mizzen stays.

Will send you a pic direct.

Great to have the serenity and peace of mind at anchorages when one sees other SM genders gurgling away seemingly endlessly.

On Sat, 4 May 2019, 03:56 Alan Leslie, <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:
Hi Colin,

What is your physical arrangement for mounting all these solar panels?
We have 600w on the arch and found we can mostly get away with running the Onan every second day, but we are certainly more frugal with electricity
Cheers
Alan

Teun BAAS

I have the Superwind on my solar arch very close to the aft Master cabin. No vibration nor noise at all. Very happy and it generates around 5Amps/hour here in the South Pacific.

Combined with 875 solar I am energy positive while sailing.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

Plage de PEDE  MARE  NEW CALEDONIA

May 5, 2019 21:34:31