Topics

Volvo D3-110 belt changes

Theo s/v Paloma

Thank you Bill.

I can't wait to spend time on our 50 in the Med.
The 60 looks very nice and big! I will probably see it next week at the factory.

Theo
s/v Paloma, Amel 50 #18

Theo,

The way it was previously (might have changed): Volvo ships the engine to Volvo France where Amel-specific modifications are made. Then Volvo France ships it to Amel.

Have fun with your 50. I can't wait to test a 60!

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 10:24 AM s/v Paloma <sailingpaloma1@...> wrote:
Bill,

My engine is D3-110I-H. The picture I posted is of my engine while it was still on the crate. I am guessing that is the way it came from the Volvo factory.

Theo
s/v Paloma, Amel 50 #18

Theo s/v Paloma

Bill,

My engine is D3-110I-H. The picture I posted is of my engine while it was still on the crate. I am guessing that is the way it came from the Volvo factory.

Theo
s/v Paloma, Amel 50 #18

Alexander Ramseyer

It seems there are different belt configurations out there. A mechanic in St. Martin assumed that the three aggregats combined put to much stress on the belt. I also heard that AMEL originally had even more powerful 24V alternators installed, but had to change this because of that problem.

Theo, do you know which model your D3 110 is? Is it model "H" or different?

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 10:57 AM s/v Paloma <sailingpaloma1@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

On my Amel 50 with the Volvo D3-110 engine, the second alternator (Mastervolt 24V 110A, part number 48224110) is on a separate belt as the seawater pump. This is the way the engine came in a crate.

Theo
s/v Paloma, Amel 50 #18

Theo s/v Paloma

Edited

On my Amel 50 with the Volvo D3-110 engine, the second alternator (Mastervolt 24V 110A, part number 48224110) is on a separate belt as the seawater pump. This is the way the engine came in a crate.

Theo
s/v Paloma, Amel 50 #18

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Hi Alex

There is a Mastervolt 24V 110A Model: 90847, running on the same belt as the seawater pump, etc. Only one Belt.
Why are you asking?

Best regards
Ruedi

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Alex Ramseyer <alexramseyer@...>
Datum: Freitag, 24. Mai 2019 um 18:36
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Betreff: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Volvo D3-110 belt changes

Hoi Ruedi,
Could you please let me know what 24V alternator is installed on Wasabi?
Thanks, Alex

Alexander Ramseyer

Hoi Ruedi,
Could you please let me know what 24V alternator is installed on Wasabi?
Thanks, Alex

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Hi Gang
The Official Volvo Maintenance Schedule requires change of Cam Belt/Timing Belt every 1400 hours.

300h for the Alternator Belt (also drives the Water-Pumps (inkl. Impeller-Pump) is quite low. As mentioned before, - maybe slip or other issues.
BTW:
The Alternator Belt on my A-54 had 500h when I made Service with a certified Volvo technician from a Volvo dealer in Italy.
Volvo Technician said the Belt looks perfect and there is no need for change. He guarantied another 200h-300h lifetime.

Fair winds
Ruedi
"SY WASABI"
Amel 54. #55

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Alex Ramseyer <alexramseyer@...>
Datum: Freitag, 10. Mai 2019 um 17:14
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

The pulley that used to be on my Volvo has been changed to another model by a certified Volvo service shop in St. Martin 2 years ago. The change didn't impact the lifetime of my alternator belts.

In regards to the timing belt, based on the answer I received, I now think 1200h should be o.k., so I don't need to do this now at 800. If someone has pics and / sources to get the special tools, I'd appreciate.

fair winds
Alex
SY NO STRESS

Barry Connor

Hi Alex,
My large additional alternator is on the Port side with extra pulleys attached to the engine. On the later 54’s the additional alternator is on the Starboard side and uses the engine belt.
If you have the same as me then my last set of belts only lasted 400 hrs, supplied by Volvo mechanic HYERES but not Volvo parts. I have just bought better quality Gates belts and I think these will last longer. Let me know if you need the size, details.

Best Regards

Barry
“Lady Penelope II”
Amel 54. #17
Pilos - Sailing Greece

On May 9, 2019, at 02:28, Alex Ramseyer <alexramseyer@...> wrote:

The alternator belt on my Volvo D3 lasts ca 300h. In the French manual that I have onboard, it sais this belt should last 1200h. What's the experience in this group?

According to a certified Volvo technician from a Volvo dealer here in FLA, the TIMER BELT should last 1500h. I was about ready to change after 800h based on the advice from the former owner. What is the experience of this group in regards to the timing belt?

Also, if someone knows which exact special tool I need to change myself and where to get that, would be great!
Thank you for your advice.
Alex
SY NO STRESS
AMEL54#15

Alexander Ramseyer

The pulley that used to be on my Volvo has been changed to another model by a certified Volvo service shop in St. Martin 2 years ago. The change didn't impact the lifetime of my alternator belts.

In regards to the timing belt, based on the answer I received, I now think 1200h should be o.k., so I don't need to do this now at 800. If someone has pics and / sources to get the special tools, I'd appreciate.

fair winds
Alex
SY NO STRESS

Alex,

Write JEFFREY KRAUS <jmkraus"at"optonline.net>. I believe that he found Volvo installed the wrong pulley. Please post what you find.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 8:37 PM Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi Alex,

if your alternator belt is wearing it is highly likely you have belt slip. Check your tension. Other than an unlikely substandard belt it has to be slip.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 09 May 2019 at 18:28 Denis Elborn <delborn@...> wrote:

Alex,

It does seem a short time for the alternator belt, age is also a factor. At least you can see it and determine when to replace it unlike the timing belt.

Volvo sell two special tools, one needed and one nice to have. The needed one is a special puller to get the bottom pulley off of the crankshaft and the nice one is fitted to the bottom pulley to stop the engine rotating. Instead you can remove the starter motor and jamb something in there to stop the flywheel rotating, a bit crude but it will work.

IMO it is worth replacing the tensioner, idle pulley and water pump when doing the belt replacement. Volvo sell a kit excluding the water pump.

Denis
Aventura A54-113
Cleopatra marina -Greece

On 9 May 2019, at 12:28 am, Alex Ramseyer < alexramseyer@...> wrote:

The alternator belt on my Volvo D3 lasts ca 300h. In the French manual that I have onboard, it sais this belt should last 1200h. What's the experience in this group?

According to a certified Volvo technician from a Volvo dealer here in FLA, the TIMER BELT should last 1500h. I was about ready to change after 800h based on the advice from the former owner. What is the experience of this group in regards to the timing belt?

Also, if someone knows which exact special tool I need to change myself and where to get that, would be great!
Thank you for your advice.
Alex
SY NO STRESS
AMEL54#15

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

[...]

Mark & Debbie Mueller

The service manual I have says 1400 hours for the timing belt but makes no mention of the alternator belt.

--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Denis Elborn