From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of karkauai via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, May 12, 2019 3:58 PM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Main Outhaul early SM 2K

I’ll get my tool made and report on its efficacy, with pics if it works

 ;-)>.  Will definitely take all advice, trim the key and the shaft, use NeverSieze, and remove every 3 months for regreasing.

I’ll spray some PB Blaster around the top seal, but doubt much if any will make it past the seal.  Dry Ice and heat if the tool doesn’t work.

Jeez, somehow I make seemingly simple tasks into major productions.  At least this one seems to have given most everyone problems...

Kent

Kristy

SM243

On May 12, 2019, at 2:23 PM, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Gary,

When I had to drive out the shaft with a sledge hammer I found that as soon as the key cleared the keyway the shaft slid out easily. I believe the key is the only thing that needs to be adjusted. I remove the shaft 4 times a year and lubricate it with high temp. stainless Neva-Seez and have had no further problem in over 10 years.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sorry to hear of your difficulties removing the outhaul shaft.  Also interesting to see the different mounting methods used by Amel over the various SN boats  I don't have any specific answers to getting the shaft out unless it would be to use dry ice to cool the shaft and/or applying heat to the gearbox shaft.  Like so many things this is an all hands on deck situation so penetrating oil, heat, cold, vibration, and pressure may all be needed

Note that there is no seal between the outhaul shaft (male) and the gearbox shaft (female) into which the outhaul shaft inserts.  The only seal here is the lip seal that is press fit into the upper cover (and lower cover) of the gearbox and provides a seal to the gearbox (female) shaft.  I have found that removing the outhaul shaft once yearly and lubing it has always yielded easy removal, not sure why your's is stuck after so little calendar time.  I do rinse thoroughly the areas of the outhaul and furling gearboxes with fresh water after every sail and I do slather an unsightly amount of grease around the upper surface of the shaft/shaft interface but it sound like you do the same. Eric suggestion to remove a couple of thousandths from the keyway seams reasonable, perhaps an easier thing would be to remove a couple of thousandths of an inch from the shaft itself (larger bearing area and hence a larger "sticking" area).

Wish you luck,

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 #335
Puerto Del Rey - Puerto Rico

karkauai

[...]

Gary Silver

[...]

Thanks again, Eric and John. I’ve been hearing about all the problems with removing the Outhaul shaft, and now have the same problem. Others have suggested it was because the shaft seal is vertical and prone to water intrusion. When mine was removed with great difficulty, I found the shaft had rusted and salt was everywhere. That was about two years after I had rebuilt the previous one that had lasted many years. I had been putting silicone grease on the upper seal every few months for those two years. Now after only six months with a new gearbox, it’s stuck again, despite NeverSieze and grease on the outside of the seal every 2 months.

I need to find a better way...

Kent
SM 243
Kristy

John Clark

Kent,
   Annie SM 37 has the same arrangement, though with bonfig gears.  I disassembled mine a couple of years ago but did not have any issues so can't help you there, just wanted to let you know that the arrangement is OEM.

Regards,. John
SV Annie
SM 37
Brunswick GA

On Fri, May 10, 2019, 5:33 PM karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all,
I had my masts and booms painted last Fall, and had a helluva time getting the outhaul shaft out.  The yard ended up breaking the cover plate of the gearbox, so I bought a new gearbox and motor from Amel (they wouldn’t sell me a new cover plate). I asked that they grease the shaft well with NeverSeize, and they said they did.  The bracket isn’t like the one pictured here, just two tabs welded to the boom, with a black plastic connector that bolts to the gearbox, and in turn bolts to the tabs on the boom.  After a few months I noticed the motor and gearbox moving when furling the main, and discovered the forward bolt holding the black plastic part to the tab on the boom was almost completely out.  I screwed it back in, but the black plastic part has stripped threads and it won’t hold.

Now, 6 months after installing the new gearbox and motor, I want to replace the black plastic connector, but I can’t get the shaft to budge.  I’ve tried tapping on a bolt in the bottom of the shaft while putting wedges between the boom and black plastic.  With seals in place, I’m not confident any PB Blaster would make its way down the shaft.  The way it’s attached to the boom doesn’t allow for a puller (pusher in this case) to fit between the gearbox and the boom.  It’s only about 1/8” with the plastic part down as far as it will go.  See pic below.

Have you seen anyone remove the shaft with this installment configuration?  Some special tool that will work?  I hate to put something across the boom with the new paint job.

Thanks for any ideas.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

eric freedman

Hi Kent,

I grease the gearboxes 4 times a year and have not had a problem with water.