Topics

Electric Motor for SM main outhaul/furler

David Vogel

Greetings,

AMEL France just filled an order for a spare electric motor and gearbox for the SM Main Outhaul/Furler.

The electric motor is a little different to what I expected. Please see the silver motor in the photos attached (the one with the small gauge red and black wires). What I was expecting to see was a motor as per SM#335, which is what I have on Perigee.

Does anyone know if the silver unit as supplied is a 'drop-in' replacement? Or do I need to re-order and obtain the 'old style"?

(I am writing to Maude but, being the weekend, thought it quicker to check with the forum.)

Thanks in anticipation.

David
SM#396/Perigee
Panama, almost prepped for French Polynesia

Gary Silver

Hi David:

It appears that the specifications are very close to the LeRoy Somer motor, however, it seems to be smaller in diameter so some accommodation for mounting would be necessary.  Also, the wiring will need to be adapted.  Does the new motor have brush covers to allow servicing the brushes?  Does the RPM say 3,100 rpm?  Not that a 100 RPM difference would be of any significance.

Gary S Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 #335

David Vogel

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your response.  The silver motor is by “Nidec”, sub-titled LEROY-SOMER (L-S is part of the NIDEC group, apparently).

Yes, further research reveals that the motors I have installed on PERIGEE/SM#396 are identified as model number MBT86M.  (The MBT denotes permanent magnets, the “86” is the diameter of the motor casing in mm, the “M” is the length of the motor casing, either S|M|L.)

SPECS of the motor as shipped -> Type: MBT82M | 24V/27A/450W | 3100rpm (I noted this difference in revs as well, as this would seem to make it out of sync with the other motor, = more blipping the toggle switches).  On the 82 as received, there are no ports enabling direct access to the brushes, for servicing.

Another difference is the ‘Service Code”; the ‘as installed’ unit, model 86, the service code is S2 10mn; the one supplied (mode 82), the service code is S2 5mn; I haven’t yet cracked the code on what the difference means, excepting the obvious regarding lack of service ports.

It appears that I should have the MBT86M, not the 82M.  I think that perhaps the thinner 82-model is intended for an A54 (and maybe even a later model SM than #396).

When I get a response from Maud, then I’ll post an update.  But in the interim, if anyone else can chime in, please do.

Best,

David

SM#396/Perigee

Panama

eric freedman

Hi David,
Would you please supply the information on the tag of the new
motor.
Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

AMEL France just filled an order for a spare electric motor and gearbox for the SM Main Outhaul/Furler.

The electric motor is a little different to what I expected. Please see the silver motor in the photos attached (the one with the small gauge red and black wires). What I was expecting to see was a motor as per SM#335, which is what I have on Perigee.

Does anyone know if the silver unit as supplied is a 'drop-in' replacement? Or do I need to re-order and obtain the 'old style"?

(I am writing to Maude but, being the weekend, thought it quicker to check with the forum.)

Thanks in anticipation.

David
SM#396/Perigee
Panama, almost prepped for French Polynesia

David Vogel

Hi Eric,

With pleasure ...

Type: MBT82 M
Induit: 24V 27A
Puissance: 450W
Vitesse: 3100min-1
Service: S2 5mn
Protection: IP44 Classe: F

Blue skies,

David
SM#396/Perigee

Alan Leslie

When I ordered a new motor from AMEL 2 years ago, this is what I got.
Maud told me the original MBT86 was not available anymore. I only realised the new one was smaller diameter when it arrived.
I used some 2mm rubber strip to wrap around the motor so it would fit more snugly in the black housing end piece.
It appears there is no way to service the brushes on these motors.
Best
Alan
Elyse SM437

rossirossix4

We also replaced an old motor about a year ago (it really was very un-repairable).  Couple of things.  Like you say, David, the replacement motors are a slightly smaller diameter.  We used 3 rubber spacers and then silicone sealer/adhesive to fit it to the black enclosure holder.  But first, the motor needs to be painted.  The yard at Malta--Manoel Island Yacht Yard--recommended 2 part epoxy InterProtect which is what we used--several coats.  Easy to do, we did all the work ourselves.

Also, at our later request Maud shipped us the brush replacement kit.  It was, of course, more expensive than just brushes--I can probably find the part number and price if anyone needs it.  The Amel parts person at Hyères told us that the new motor was more powerful than the old--I have not confirmed that but seems to work well.

We just arrived at the dock in front of Chantiers AMEL - Caraïbes bound for Aruba.  Didier is going to do some preventative maintenance in the form of engine mount replacement, carbon removal from the Onan, and an impeller strainer for the Onan.  Will take some pics.

Bob and Suzanne, KAIMI

Didier is the absolute best for those things, and a Preferred Vendor of yacht School.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 11:52 AM rossirossix4 <rossidesigngroup@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Bob,

Yes, Didier, he is a real gem.  He did our engine mounts in 2017, and the new wire-mesh filter (and stop-cocks) for the ONAN in 2018.  Most comforting to know that the impeller is still intact.

I’ll try to track down some InterProtect here in Panama before we leave, and that can be another of the many little projects for when we’re whiling away the time, twiddling our thumbs with nothing else to do out in the remote Pacific.  Ha - dreamin!  (In the meantime, it the motor is safely tucked away and vacuum-sealed.)

Blue skies,

David&Leanne

SM#396/Perigee