Topics

Absence of boom-kickers on a 54

Arno Luijten

It may have been asked before, but does anyone know why both booms on a 54 are not equipped with a kicker to keep the boom down in aft winds?
It seems an omission but there may be a good reason for it that I can't see at the moment.

Cheers,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

I wish that I knew the answer. The base of the 54 mast has the hole for a shackle for a boom kicker.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 7:24 PM Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
It may have been asked before, but does anyone know why both booms on a 54 are not equipped with a kicker to keep the boom down in aft winds?
It seems an omission but there may be a good reason for it that I can't see at the moment.

Cheers,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Ian Park

I’m guessing here but the SN and SM have a rope that ‘serves’ as a kicker. But with the full width main sheet track on the foredeck and then the preventer when fully downwind I haven’t had cause to need a kicker. I can get all the flattening I need on the mainsail from this combination.
Obviously I have no experience of the 54.

Ian

Ocean Hobo

Ian,

You are correct and the same boom rigging exists for the 54 sans the rope boom kicker.

I believe that Henri Amel placed a rope kicker on HIS boats because he knew that "sometimes, something goes wrong with even the most experienced crew."

It appears to me that it was likely planned for the 54, but someone at the last minute decided that it wasn't necessary on the 54. It was probably the same person who decided that the engine room hatch didn't really need to miss the cockpit table when opening the engine room hatch.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Tue, May 14, 2019, 9:49 PM Ian <parkianj@...> wrote:
I’m guessing here but the SN and SM have a rope that ‘serves’ as a kicker. But with the full width main sheet track on the foredeck and then the preventer when fully downwind I haven’t had cause to need a kicker. I can get all the flattening I need on the mainsail from this combination.
Obviously I have no experience of the 54.

Ian

Ocean Hobo

Barry Connor

Food for thought.
On our Amel 54 "Lady Penelope II" # 17 we have the rope boom attachment and on Ruedi's Amel 54 "Wasabi #55 he does not have the rope boom attachment.
We are sailing together at this time and I do see that my rope is tight in strong winds, keeps the boom from rising.
We are noticing and discussing the changes that took place between #17 and  #55

Best Regards

Barry

On Wednesday, May 15, 2019, 9:40:51 AM GMT+3, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

ngtnewington Newington

On Amelia we have the rope kicker. I use it as a preventer to the forward lifting chainplate when sailing off the wind. Or as a kicker to the mast base. Upwind it is not needed as the main sheet track is so far forward but as soon as the wind is aft then it is essential to keep the main powered up.
Amelia AML54-019
Nick

On 15 May 2019, at 09:14, Barry Connor via Groups.Io <connor_barry@...> wrote:

[...]

Well, like so many things on the 54, it is difficult to compare one 54 to another because so many things changed during the production run.

Just when I think I know this boat, something else pops up that shatters that assumption. The first time this rope kicker thing came up, I was certain I had seen it and it existed on 54s. Then I was on at least eight 54s that were missing the rope kicker. My first thought was that "old age memory loss" was showing its ugly face...well maybe it is. I assume that the 54s with the rope kicker have a slightly different boom, because those booms without the rope kicker have no attachment point on the boom. I still say those missing the kicker were also probably missing the unwavering attention to detail from Henri Amel and his ability to understand the unforgiving sea and his customers.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 8:01 AM ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Hi Bil,

If you are referring to the hole that sits at the very base of the mast, that hole is the drain hole for water that gets into the mast. I wonder if it is able to take the loads of a kicker. I also noticed the later 54’s do not have the same “hole-arrangement” at the underside of the boom as the early ones.

I do love your remark about the table behind the steering chair. I wondered the same thing. That thing must be the number 1 design flaw for the Amel 54. I actually removed it. That makes the cockpit much roomier as well. We now use a small foldable table if we need to support our drinks…

I was thinking about this thing to put against the back wall of the cockpit:

But maybe I will just change the way the original table is designed and make it a bit lighter as well.

Cheers,

Arno

Arno, no not a drain, rather a tang with a hole. It probably disappeared also when Amel reengineered the 54 mast so that it could take to expected loads.

On Wed, May 15, 2019, 2:09 PM Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
[...]

Bill,

They had to change the mast when they changed from a horizontal to a vertical furling-motor setup. The needed to make the slot bigger to fit the motor. My mast also has the reinforcing shell around the lower part of the mast.
I was looking at the promo video for the A54 and captured this frame:

Here you can see the original horizontal motor and also the kick-strap in place. It may be because of the change of motor setup they dropped the kicker. I don't think the mizzen has ever had a kicker. Maybe the logic is that if you rig a preventer you can keep the boom down as well. I wonder....

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Ours came with no kicker but the boom does have an attachment point.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
Cheers
Paul

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Hi Arno

I’m very interested in your project with a changed cockpit table. I have the Lagun as well, it’s ok for 2 but not if you have guests on board. I had some thought how to change the original but no real idea yet. It is not urgent so it will may takes years ;-)
Let us know when you have done your changes or when you get a brilliant idea.

Cheers
Ruedi
A54 #55
South Peloponnese