Topics

Seawater Flush

Dean Gillies

Hi all,
i decided to test the operation of our optional seawater flush on the forward head. I’ve never used it before and In the absence of any instructions in the user manuals, I opened the seawater valve and tried to flush. There is no seawater being pulled through at all.

Can anyone advise if there is an additional step I need to do to make the seawater flush work.
I know it worked when we bought the boat because it was checked off by Olivier on survey, so I’m sure I must be missing something.
Thanks guys
Dean
SY Stella
A54-154

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Dean;

If I’m not mistaken, the anchor wash has to be on to supply the salt water to the forward head.

We’ve never tried it, but that’s what I recall from 5 years ago when we purchase Kokomo.

I’m sure others will correct this if I’m mistaken.

Respectfully;

Mohammad & Aty
B&B Kokomo
AMEL 54 #099

On May 15, 2019, at 4:07 PM, SY STELLA via Groups.Io <stella@...> wrote:

Hi all,
i decided to test the operation of our optional seawater flush on the forward head. I’ve never used it before and In the absence of any instructions in the user manuals, I opened the seawater valve and tried to flush. There is no seawater being pulled through at all.

Can anyone advise if there is an additional step I need to do to make the seawater flush work.
I know it worked when we bought the boat because it was checked off by Olivier on survey, so I’m sure I must be missing something.
Thanks guys
Dean
SY Stella
A54-154

Dean Gillies

Hi Mohammad,
You are absolutely correct. When I open the valve and turn on the anchor wash pump then water flows freely into the toilet. The line retains water when I turn the anchor wash off, and the toilet can be used, although I suspect it will lose prime over a short period.

However as soon as the anchor wash is turned on again the toilet starts to fill immediately. This seems like a poor situation really.

I guess the saltwater flush mode really needs to be treated as a degraded mode of operation rather than an alternative mode of operation you could choose when on an ocean crossing for example.

Anyway, I now understand the operation. Thanks Mohammad.
Cheers
Dean

Arno Luijten

Hi, you also need to switch on the anchor flushing pump from the helm.
Take care that the toilet does not overflow. Also be prepared for some horrible smell in the beginning.

Cheers,

Arno

Dimitris Krasopoulos

Dean,

I do not know your boat exactly but I have installed a cane from the saltwater supply to electro and that is behind the toilet in order to be able to remove the electrovalve for cleaning and extra security. Perhaps the previous owner has done the same. I also think that in the motor compartment you have to press the salt water pump on on the grey panel

Let us know

--
Best Regards

Dimitris Krasopoulos
Dubai Mob: +971 564602575
Greek Mob:+306944302318

Dimitris Krasopoulos

Dean,

I had the same problem and I installed in the saltwater line a cane so I can close the saltwater flow safely and clean the electrovalve which does close tight due to salt remains.

It is bad designed by Amel but ..,

Στάλθηκε από το iPhone of Dimitris Krasopoulos

On May 16, 2019, at 00:49, SY STELLA <stella@...> wrote:

Hi Mohammad,
You are absolutely correct. When I open the valve and turn on the anchor wash pump then water flows freely into the toilet. The line retains water when I turn the anchor wash off, and the toilet can be used, although I suspect it will lose prime over a short period.

However as soon as the anchor wash is turned on again the toilet starts to fill immediately. This seems like a poor situation really.

I guess the saltwater flush mode really needs to be treated as a degraded mode of operation rather than an alternative mode of operation you could choose when on an ocean crossing for example.

Anyway, I now understand the operation. Thanks Mohammad.
Cheers
Dean

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Dean;

It is my understanding that this is a backup emergency system only and not an option to fresh water.

You really don’t want to use saltwater, unless fresh water is not available for some reason, since the salt water will lead to the usual smell related to salt water flush systems.

I think it’s a simple use of an existing pump for a case that may never arise.

Respectfully;

Mohammad & Aty
B&B Kokomo
AMEL 54 #099

On May 16, 2019, at 6:57 AM, Dimitris Krasopoulos via Groups.Io <dkrasopoulos@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Arno and Dimitris,
Thanks, I have it working now with the pump and noticed the overflow problem immediately. I was lucky and didn’t get any smells at all when I changed over, maybe because the toilet has never been used with saltwater.

The previous owner made no modifications in this area.  Needless to say, I’ll be sticking with the freshwater flushing mode of operation!

Thanks all.

Cheers
Dean
A54-154