Topics

Genoa Fair Leads

Capt. Steve Bode <whatsup@...>

Hey, Group.

What's the latest best answer on replacing the Genoa Fair Leads? My springs are broken, one wheel is chipped. Tried taking it apart, but can't figure out how to get the pin out of the center once the eye bolts are removed. Is that center bar screwed in? At $750 a piece online, I'm not jazzed about replacing the whole car.
Replacement car without extra hardware needed to adapt to Amel lead system:

Tags: Genoa Fair Lead, Genoa Track, Jib Car Lead, Jib fairlead, Genoa Fairlead, Foresail Track

Steve Bode, Captain of Sailing Vessel Intention
Currently Drydocked at ANT Yat Servis
Bodrum Marina Teknik Servisler
Neyzen Tevfik Cad. No. 5
48400 Bodrum, Mulga, Turkiye

Amel Super Maramu #117 (1994)
+1 415-710-6659 voice/text/whatsapp

Mike Ondra

Hi Steve,

We purchased replacement genoa cars from Euro Marine Trading, Inc. in Newport, RI,  the US distributer of Antal parts in 2016. Cost was $259.84 each plus $29 shipping from Italy (prorated as part of their larger shipment). Euro Marine was familiar with the Amel configuration with the bales on both ends of the car, and that’s how they arrived, identical to the original.

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM#240

Rock Hall, MD

What's the latest best answer on replacing the Genoa Fair Leads? My springs are broken, one wheel is chipped. Tried taking it apart, but can't figure out how to get the pin out of the center once the eye bolts are removed. Is that center bar screwed in? At $750 a piece online, I'm not jazzed about replacing the whole car.

Replacement car without extra hardware needed to adapt to Amel lead system:

Tags: Genoa Fair Lead, Genoa Track, Jib Car Lead, Jib fairlead, Genoa Fairlead, Foresail Track

Steve Bode, Captain of Sailing Vessel Intention

Currently Drydocked at ANT Yat Servis

Bodrum Marina Teknik Servisler

Neyzen Tevfik Cad. No. 5

48400 Bodrum, Mulga, Turkiye

Amel Super Maramu #117 (1994)

+1 415-710-6659 voice/text/whatsapp

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

Hello,

I had to do this, and filmed it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_XB5qfptqQ

Ken Powers
Aquarius SM2K #262

https://allpa-marine.com/antal-aluminum-stainless-steel-genua-maxi-car-40x8-with-sliding-inserts-172x60x166mm-lxwxh-weight-1-94kg-swl-safe-working-load-4800kg.html

Tags: Genoa Fair Lead, Genoa Track, Jib Car Lead, Jib fairlead, Genoa
Fairlead, Foresail Track

*Steve Bode, Captain of Sailing Vessel Intention*
Currently Drydocked at ANT Yat Servis
Bodrum Marina Teknik Servisler
Neyzen Tevfik Cad. No. 5
48400 Bodrum, Mulga, Turkiye

Amel Super Maramu #117 (1994)
svIntention.com <http://svintention.com/> Facebook.com/svIntention
<http://facebook.com/svIntention> YouTube.com/SailingVesselIntention
<http://youtube.com/SailingVesselIntention>
+1 415-710-6659 voice/text/whatsapp

Mark Erdos

Hi Ken,

Was the mainsheet on the boom rigged correctly to start with? It is hard to tell on the video but it looks as though it was the forward thingy under the boom that broke. We were warned when we purchased Cream Puff that only the middle under-the-boom-thingy was designed to take the loads required.

Nice video!

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper
Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275
Currently cruising - Panama
www.creampuff.us

[...]

Now you know what the 2 short pieces (about 6") of boom track are for.😀

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On 5/25/19, Capt. Steve Bode <whatsup@...> wrote:
> Hey, Group.
>
> What's the latest best answer on replacing the Genoa Fair Leads? My springs
> are broken, one wheel is chipped. Tried taking it apart, but can't figure
> out how to get the pin out of the center once the eye bolts are removed. Is
> that center bar screwed in? At $750 a piece online, I'm not jazzed about
> replacing the whole car.
> Replacement car without extra hardware needed to adapt to Amel lead system:
> https://allpa-marine.com/antal-aluminum-stainless-steel-genua-maxi-car-40x8-with-sliding-inserts-172x60x166mm-lxwxh-weight-1-94kg-swl-safe-working-load-4800kg.html
>
> Tags: Genoa Fair Lead, Genoa Track, Jib Car Lead, Jib fairlead, Genoa
> Fairlead, Foresail Track
>

> *Steve Bode, Captain of Sailing Vessel Intention*
> Currently Drydocked at ANT Yat Servis
> Bodrum Marina Teknik Servisler
> Neyzen Tevfik Cad. No. 5
> 48400 Bodrum, Mulga, Turkiye
>
> Amel Super Maramu #117 (1994)
> svIntention.com <http://svintention.com/> Facebook.com/svIntention
> <http://facebook.com/svIntention> YouTube.com/SailingVesselIntention
> <http://youtube.com/SailingVesselIntention>
> +1 415-710-6659 voice/text/whatsapp

It was the middle one that he yanked out.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 2:43 PM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:
Hi Ken,

Was the mainsheet on the boom rigged correctly to start with? It is hard to tell on the video but it looks as though it was the forward thingy under the boom that broke. We were warned when we purchased Cream Puff that only the middle under-the-boom-thingy was designed to take the loads required.

Nice video!

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper
Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275
Currently cruising - Panama
www.creampuff.us

> What's the latest best answer on replacing the Genoa Fair Leads? My springs
> are broken, one wheel is chipped. Tried taking it apart, but can't figure
> out how to get the pin out of the center once the eye bolts are removed. Is
> that center bar screwed in? At $750 a piece online, I'm not jazzed about
> replacing the whole car.
> Replacement car without extra hardware needed to adapt to Amel lead system:
> https://allpa-marine.com/antal-aluminum-stainless-steel-genua-maxi-car-40x8-with-sliding-inserts-172x60x166mm-lxwxh-weight-1-94kg-swl-safe-working-load-4800kg.html
>
> Tags: Genoa Fair Lead, Genoa Track, Jib Car Lead, Jib fairlead, Genoa
> Fairlead, Foresail Track
>

> *Steve Bode, Captain of Sailing Vessel Intention*
> Currently Drydocked at ANT Yat Servis
> Bodrum Marina Teknik Servisler
> Neyzen Tevfik Cad. No. 5
> 48400 Bodrum, Mulga, Turkiye
>
> Amel Super Maramu #117 (1994)
> svIntention.com <http://svintention.com/> Facebook.com/svIntention
> <http://facebook.com/svIntention> YouTube.com/SailingVesselIntention
> <http://youtube.com/SailingVesselIntention>
> +1 415-710-6659 voice/text/whatsapp

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

I had to re-rig it after I pulled the main connection point out of the
boom. Sailed from from the Marquises to Tahiti like shown at the
start of the video. If you look closely you can see where it should
be connected. Now it's back to the same spot, better than original.

Ken

On 5/29/19, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Bill. It was hard to tell in the vid.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff

www.creampuff.us

It was the middle one that he yanked out.

Best,

Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St.

Galveston, Texas 77550

832-380-4970

Image removed by sender.

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 2:43 PM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Hi Ken,

Was the mainsheet on the boom rigged correctly to start with? It is hard to tell on the video but it looks as though it was the forward thingy under the boom that broke. We were warned when we purchased Cream Puff that only the middle under-the-boom-thingy was designed to take the loads required.

Nice video!

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper
Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275
Currently cruising - Panama
www.creampuff.us

> What's the latest best answer on replacing the Genoa Fair Leads? My springs
> are broken, one wheel is chipped. Tried taking it apart, but can't figure
> out how to get the pin out of the center once the eye bolts are removed. Is
> that center bar screwed in? At $750 a piece online, I'm not jazzed about
> replacing the whole car.
> Replacement car without extra hardware needed to adapt to Amel lead system:
> https://allpa-marine.com/antal-aluminum-stainless-steel-genua-maxi-car-40x8-with-sliding-inserts-172x60x166mm-lxwxh-weight-1-94kg-swl-safe-working-load-4800kg.html
>
> Tags: Genoa Fair Lead, Genoa Track, Jib Car Lead, Jib fairlead, Genoa
> Fairlead, Foresail Track
>

> *Steve Bode, Captain of Sailing Vessel Intention*
> Currently Drydocked at ANT Yat Servis
> Bodrum Marina Teknik Servisler
> Neyzen Tevfik Cad. No. 5
> 48400 Bodrum, Mulga, Turkiye
>
> Amel Super Maramu #117 (1994)
> svIntention.com <http://svintention.com/> Facebook.com/svIntention
> <http://facebook.com/svIntention> YouTube.com/SailingVesselIntention
> <http://youtube.com/SailingVesselIntention>
> +1 415-710-6659 voice/text/whatsapp

Mark,

I had my eagle eye on it.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 4:39 PM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Thanks Bill. It was hard to tell in the vid.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff

www.creampuff.us

> What's the latest best answer on replacing the Genoa Fair Leads? My springs
> are broken, one wheel is chipped. Tried taking it apart, but can't figure
> out how to get the pin out of the center once the eye bolts are removed. Is
> that center bar screwed in? At $750 a piece online, I'm not jazzed about
> replacing the whole car.
> Replacement car without extra hardware needed to adapt to Amel lead system:
> https://allpa-marine.com/antal-aluminum-stainless-steel-genua-maxi-car-40x8-with-sliding-inserts-172x60x166mm-lxwxh-weight-1-94kg-swl-safe-working-load-4800kg.html
>
> Tags: Genoa Fair Lead, Genoa Track, Jib Car Lead, Jib fairlead, Genoa
> Fairlead, Foresail Track
>

> *Steve Bode, Captain of Sailing Vessel Intention*
> Currently Drydocked at ANT Yat Servis
> Bodrum Marina Teknik Servisler
> Neyzen Tevfik Cad. No. 5
> 48400 Bodrum, Mulga, Turkiye
>
> Amel Super Maramu #117 (1994)
> svIntention.com <http://svintention.com/> Facebook.com/svIntention
> <http://facebook.com/svIntention> YouTube.com/SailingVesselIntention
> <http://youtube.com/SailingVesselIntention>
> +1 415-710-6659 voice/text/whatsapp

Mark Erdos

Got it Ken. Thanks. Looks like the shop did a great job for you.

[...]

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Ken, Loved the video. However NSR did not need to cut the track. Had they taken the screws out of the stanchion just forward of the track end they could have easily pushed it sideways to allow the car to be removed. I share this information for others who may need to do this.
Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 29 May 2019 at 07:10 Ken Powers SV Aquarius <@KenPowers> wrote:

[...]

Removing the end-stop and the stanchion each time you need to replace the sliders or the springs is a bit much.  I think that removing the un-needed part of the track was the right decision.  Now, I remove one bolt and I can remove the Genoa car.

Thanks!

Ken

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Ken, everyone to their own. I didnt think once every 17 years too arduous to remove two  screws in the stauncheon base.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl