Topics

Am I the only one so stupid?

Arno Luijten

All,

Our 54 has a major design flaw. Or it’s not protected against stupidity, take your pick.
Anyway I managed for the third time now to overflow the fresh water tank while refilling. The problem is that the water does not simply overflows through the filler cap. Instead it gushes out of the level meter pipe next to the companionway right into the main saloon bilge that has no drain. Oops.
Anyone else has the same problem?

Arno
SV Luna,
A54-121

Yes, same problem on a SM...I set an alarm every time I filled the tank because I wasn't smart enough to watch it after I overflowed the first time.😡
.
Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 4:34 PM Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
All,

Our 54 has a major design flaw. Or it’s not protected against stupidity, take your pick.
Anyway I managed for the third time now to overflow the fresh water tank while refilling. The problem is that the water does not simply overflows through the filler cap. Instead it gushes out of the level meter pipe next to the companionway right into the main saloon bilge that has no drain. Oops.
Anyone else has the same problem?

Arno
SV Luna,
A54-121

karkauai

Yep, I’ve done it three times in ten years.  Duh!!!  Nice clean bilge, though  ;-)>
I’ve put everything in the floor lockers in plastic bins, so it’s not as  difficult to clean up.  Water alarm in bilge just under companionway.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On May 26, 2019, at 5:40 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Courtney Gorman

Yes we had same problem once

[...]

Mark Erdos

We are also members of this club. We now set a timer when filling the water tank to remind us to check the progress. It is amazing how many times the timer goes off and we both suddenly sit up because we forgot the water is running.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Panama

www.creampuff.us

Our 54 has a major design flaw. Or it’s not protected against stupidity, take your pick.
Anyway I managed for the third time now to overflow the fresh water tank while refilling. The problem is that the water does not simply overflows through the filler cap. Instead it gushes out of the level meter pipe next to the companionway right into the main saloon bilge that has no drain. Oops.
Anyone else has the same problem?

Arno
SV Luna,
A54-121

Ian Townsend

We have the old 40L/hr DC Dessalator. Our timer is more like a calendar. 💧⌛️😊

Ian & Margaret
S/V Loca Lola II
SM153
Bahamas

On May 26, 2019, at 6:16 PM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

[...]

Dean Gillies

We also joined that club, in Week 1 of ownership 💦😳

Gerhard Mueller

When refilling I drop the level pipe into the close position and block it. I need some strength to push it down and block it because I have equipped the level pipe with an o-ring seal which presses now against the outer pipe and so no water can come out from the small space between the 2 tubes. Very simple solution.
--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60

Gerhard Mueller

Here are some pictures.

--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Gerhard,

I also thought about doing that but then a) what happens when the tank is full and you’re using the Dessalator so the filler is also closed, where does the water go? And b) how do you know when its full?

Surely a better solution would be to have an overflow, but where?

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98