Amel 54 Standing Rigging and changes to the Mainmast Lower and Intermediate Shrouds

Amel 54 owners,

Many of you are considering new standing rigging.

It has come to my attention that sometime between 2009 and 2010 Amel installed larger size Mainmast Lower and Intermediate Shrouds on Amel 54s. I am not sure at which hull number the change took place, but I know that the smaller shrouds were still being used from the first Amel 54 to hull 117 (2009); and I know that the larger shrouds were installed on hull 162 (2010). Between these two hull numbers, Amel increased the wire size, first on the Lower and later on both the Lower and Intermediate shrouds.

   Amel 54 Mainmast Shrouds latest information (French):
   Top Shroud (Galhaubans) 12mm (no change)
   Intermediate Shroud (Inters) 10mm (changed from 8mm)
   Lower Shroud (Bas Haubans AR) 12mm (changed from 10mm)

ACMO, Amel's OEM standing rigging supplier, currently ships the larger Lower and Intermediate shrouds when they receive orders for either these shrouds separately, or a complete standing rigging kit. If you have already installed new rigging and you or your rigger ordered the rigging from ACMO, you are likely fine. If the rigging was not made by ACMO, chances are your new wire is the same size as the wire you had. This may be a problem for you.

Obviously, you will need to inform any rigger you use of this change. This week I have informed several riggers that I regularly contact,

As with some information I share with the Amel Yacht Owners Group, my information is not necessarily officially from Amel. I do not speak for Amel. This is the case with this Amel 54 rigging wire size change. Because some of you are currently in the process of changing rigging, I am posting what I know today. If I learn more about this subject, I will update you here.

Best,

Bill Rouse
Yacht School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Arno Luijten

Hi Bill,

On hull 121 the sizes are still the original ones so 8 intermediate, 10 lower.
I have not noticed any issues with these shrouds.
I have more concern with the lower shroud on the mizzen as it is 7 mm and seems to be a bit too stretchy when sailing.
Did the OEM rigger give any reason why they beefed up the main mast rigging?

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Arno,

I think we can assume that ACMO did this on instructions from Amel because the larger rigging wire was installed on later production 54s, and obviously ordered that way by Amel.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, May 30, 2019, 6:45 AM Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
Hi Bill,

On hull 121 the sizes are still the original ones so 8 intermediate, 10 lower.
I have not noticed any issues with these shrouds.
I have more concern with the lower shroud on the mizzen as it is 7 mm and seems to be a bit too stretchy when sailing.
Did the OEM rigger give any reason why they beefed up the main mast rigging?

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Peter Forbes

My Main Aft Lowers are 12mm- on AMEL 54 #035 - I imagine these are the original.

Peter Forbes
Amel 54
Carango
La Rochelle

--
Best wishes
Peter Forbes

Peter,

Probably not. Rudi probably changed them before you bought her. Amel 54 #46 was made several months after #35 and had 10mm Lower Shrouds.

#46 reported to this group a failure of both lower shrouds which caused rig failure near Easter Island. You can search topics in this group for "Lower Shrouds Main Mast" to see that report.

Best,

On Thu, May 30, 2019, 7:59 AM Peter Forbes <ppsforbes@...> wrote:
[...]

I get that, but it does not reveal the real cause for the increase. I would imagine Amel would issue a safety bulletin if they found out the original sizes too small. Loosing your rig seems a bit much to find out the shrouds were not beefy enough.

Arno
SV Luna,
A54-121

Peter Forbes

Bill,

OK if Rudi had them changed ‘up-spec’ then I’m not surprised - lucky for me and any new owner of Carango.

Thanks

Peter

Peter Forbes
The Old Rectory
Farnham
Blandford
Dorset
DT11 8DE

#46 reported to this group a failure of both lower shrouds which caused rig failure near Easter Island. You can search topics in this group for "Lower Shrouds Main Mast" to see that report.

Best,

[...]

Arno, yes, I also would think that Amel should have notified owners, but apparently did not issue anything to the owners. However, apparently Amel did change the specification with ACMO. And, yes, I would have expected SAV to give me some guidance when I specifically asked, but, maybe I will eventually receive that.

I am sure that there is a lot that I do not know about this, and if known, might answer your questions.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

#46 reported to this group a failure of both lower shrouds which caused rig failure near Easter Island. You can search topics in this group for "Lower Shrouds Main Mast" to see that report.

Best,

[...]

Dean Gillies

Bill,
For your records I can confirm that A54-154 has the reinforced mast, and the up-sized rigging.
best regards,
Dean

Thanks, Dean. As far as I know, that makes Stella #154 the earliest produced Amel 54 with 12mm lowers and 10mm Intermediates.

This is a summary of what I know as of today. I am sure the hull numbers will narrow with more reporting:
  1. #46 (2007) was produced with 10mm lowers and 8mm intermediates. Had rig failure due to lower shroud failure-reported in Amel Yacht Owners Group ​in ​July 2014.
  2. #117 (2009) was produced with 10mm lowers and 8mm intermediates. #128 (2009) was produced with 12mm lowers and 8mm Intermediates.
  3. #128 (2009) was produced with 12mm lowers and 8mm Intermediates.
  4. #154 (2010) was produced with 12mm lowers and 10mm Intermediates.

Best,

Bill Rouse
Yacht School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

ngtnewington Newington

Amelia AML 54-019 2006 has 10mm lowers and 8mm intermediaries.
This is annoying as when I bought the boat in 2017, I had all new standing rigging made.
Food for thought.....
Nick

  1. #46 (2007) was produced with 10mm lowers and 8mm intermediates. Had rig failure due to lower shroud failure-reported in Amel Yacht Owners Group ​in ​July 2014.
  2. #117 (2009) was produced with 10mm lowers and 8mm intermediates. #128 (2009) was produced with 12mm lowers and 8mm Intermediates.
  3. #128 (2009) was produced with 12mm lowers and 8mm Intermediates.
  4. #154 (2010) was produced with 12mm lowers and 10mm Intermediates.

Best,

Bill Rouse
Yacht School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Porter McRoberts

Great info Bill. Thank you.
I’ll measure and get back to you
Porter
S/V IBIS 54-152

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone

On May 29, 2019, at 12:24 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Roque

Nick

Diz you buy the new rig from ACMO?

Roque
Attika A54 117
Paraty Brazil

  1. #46 (2007) was produced with 10mm lowers and 8mm intermediates. Had rig failure due to lower shroud failure-reported in Amel Yacht Owners Group ​in ​July 2014.
  2. #117 (2009) was produced with 10mm lowers and 8mm intermediates. #128 (2009) was produced with 12mm lowers and 8mm Intermediates.
  3. #128 (2009) was produced with 12mm lowers and 8mm Intermediates.
  4. #154 (2010) was produced with 12mm lowers and 10mm Intermediates.

Best,

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Thank you Bill, these is great info!

On WASABI #55 (2007) I can confirm
MAIN:
   Top Shroud (Galhaubans) 12mm
   Intermediate Shroud (Inters) 8mm
   Lower Shroud (Bas Haubans AR) 10mm
- Backstay 10mm

Bill I measured also MIZZEN shrouds which have 8mm and 7mm. Is that standard? I feel strange metric?
- Top Shroud 8mm
- Lower Shroud 7mm
- Backstays 7mm

Thanks and best regards
Ruedi
WASABI - A54#55
Currently Pylos, GR.

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...>
Datum: Donnerstag, 30. Mai 2019 um 19:08
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Betreff: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Amel 54 Standing Rigging and changes to the Mainmast Lower and Intermediate Shrouds

  1. #46 (2007) was produced with 10mm lowers and 8mm intermediates. Had rig failure due to lower shroud failure-reported in Amel Yacht Owners Group ​in ​July 2014.
  2. #117 (2009) was produced with 10mm lowers and 8mm intermediates. #128 (2009) was produced with 12mm lowers and 8mm Intermediates.
  3. #128 (2009) was produced with 12mm lowers and 8mm Intermediates.
  4. #154 (2010) was produced with 12mm lowers and 10mm Intermediates.

Best,

Bill Rouse
Yacht School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Nick, that is exactly the reason I posted this as soon as I found out about it and confirmed that it happened. Amel 54 owners need to know.

I am sure that if you didn't go to Amel or ACMO, you probably wouldn't have found out that your rigging was undersized based on apparent changes communicated to ACMO and the last 54s built.

You are faced with making a decision on whether to change 4 shrouds, which could cost about 20% of the total.

  1. #46 (2007) was produced with 10mm lowers and 8mm intermediates. Had rig failure due to lower shroud failure-reported in Amel Yacht Owners Group ​in ​July 2014.
  2. #117 (2009) was produced with 10mm lowers and 8mm intermediates. #128 (2009) was produced with 12mm lowers and 8mm Intermediates.
  3. #128 (2009) was produced with 12mm lowers and 8mm Intermediates.
  4. #154 (2010) was produced with 12mm lowers and 10mm Intermediates.

Best,

Bill Rouse
Yacht School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

ngtnewington Newington

No I had the riggers at Spice Island Marine in Grenada make it all up.
Nick

  1. #46 (2007) was produced with 10mm lowers and 8mm intermediates. Had rig failure due to lower shroud failure-reported in Amel Yacht Owners Group ​in ​July 2014.
  2. #117 (2009) was produced with 10mm lowers and 8mm intermediates. #128 (2009) was produced with 12mm lowers and 8mm Intermediates.
  3. #128 (2009) was produced with 12mm lowers and 8mm Intermediates.
  4. #154 (2010) was produced with 12mm lowers and 10mm Intermediates.

Best,