Topics

220 volt exhaust blower replacement

Thomas Kleman

On SM #422 my brand new Victron 100 amp charger gave me an ambient temp warning and lowered it's output. I've noticed that the 220 volt blower above the genset is weak even after I changed the capacitor. I'm hoping that the fact I had left on the incandescent engine room light by mistake, inches from the charger, was partly to blame for this but I feel like the blower should be doing more. Anyone know what the replacement for this blower is ?

Thomas,

I am 99% sure that it is a Blower from a Climma A/C. You can probably get a replacement in Europe from http://www.veco.net/

BTW, I have always felt that this blower is not strong enough.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 3:30 PM Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:
On SM #422 my brand new Victron 100 amp charger gave me an ambient temp warning and lowered it's output. I've noticed that the 220 volt blower above the genset is weak even after I changed the capacitor. I'm hoping that the fact I had left on the incandescent engine room light by mistake, inches from the charger, was partly to blame for this but I feel like the blower should be doing more. Anyone know what the replacement for this blower is ?

Gerhard Mueller

Thomas

You can get spare parts fror Victron devices directly from Victron.
See: https://www.victronenergy.com/chargers
--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60

Thomas Kleman

Thanks Bill- mine is just bungied to the ceiling and puts out very little air now. I think I know why my previous Mastervolt 100 amp charger may have failed. Not sure it had an ambient temp cutoff circuit. It may have just baked over time due to high temp in the engine room during use of the genset. Based on what spare parts from Climma/veco cost, an industrial exhaust extractor fan (available everywhere and cheap) will fit nicely and dramatically boost airflow. To avoid the Amel purist red card, I'll save the old fan for a possible next owner of #422.

rossirossix4

Agree on the wimpy 220V exhaust blower.....after installing a new capacitor (original spec) it works OK but seems about half the flow of the engine fans--others, trying to juice it up with a capacitor have noted burning smells, I think.  The watermaker pump is another device that has to work in high heat.  We have a 220V outlet high up on the forward bulkhead of the engine room and a 220v fan aimed at the watermaker and charger (also used off the inverter or shore power when working in the engine room).  Like many others with solar we only run the generator to make water....so that and the charger are always working when the generator is on.  If others are not close around I open the engine compartment to keep things cooler but we shouldn't have to do so.

Maybe someone has a good, more powerful, replacement for the extractor fan--by definition when the generator is going we don't need to skimp on 220 power.  Or maybe there is a way to activate the engine blowers when the generator is on.  I like the idea of manually switched engine blowers. In hot climates, frequently when we switch off the motor we like to vent the heat out of the engine room and usually open the engine hatch to do so.  In many situations the batteries are charged up and we would still have enough solar to offset the fans.

Bob and Suzanne, KAIMI SM429
Spaanse Water, Curacao

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Hi Thomas, Bob and Suzanne, anyone else with advice here,

Did you find a suitable 220V fan that you are happy with? I need to install something to keep the engine room cool while generator, water maker, battery charger, etc. are running. Currently I leave the engine room cover open when I can, not a good set up.

Thomas, I like your idea of a less expensive industrial type fan. Did you find one that works? Can you recommend a brand, model, CFM rating?

I'm currently in New Zealand if anyone has any suggestions of where to look.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy - SM23
Opua, NZ

JOHN HAYES

Hi Mike

I have 2 new 12 volt fans in my Santorin purchased in Wellington last year they were about nz$ 30 each and a common industrial type and performed well during 4 months in the pacific and are going well as we motor towards banks peninsula without any wind on our way to the Auckland islands

On the Santorin one fan sucks air in the other pushes it out through the port cockpit coaming

The 2 fans  move a significant volume of air

Best

John Hayes
Nga Waka
Sn 41

On 13/02/2020, at 2:56 PM, Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy) <svtrilogy53@...> wrote:

Hi Thomas, Bob and Suzanne, anyone else with advice here,

Did you find a suitable 220V fan that you are happy with? I need to install something to keep the engine room cool while generator, water maker, battery charger, etc. are running. Currently I leave the engine room cover open when I can, not a good set up.

Thomas, I like your idea of a less expensive industrial type fan. Did you find one that works? Can you recommend a brand, model, CFM rating?

I'm currently in New Zealand if anyone has any suggestions of where to look.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy - SM23
Opua, NZ

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Thanks John.

I do have the normal engine room blowers that run when the ignition key is turned, but maybe you're on to something with the inexpensive 12V fans.

The Onan genset has a 12V alternator so could a simple 12V fan do the job here? Then it's just a matter of having it power on automatically, or remembering if it's manual.

I still think the best choice is tapping into the excess 220V power. But perhaps the 12V starter circuit is an easier and less expensive option. Any reason to not do this? Obviously maintaining the shared 12V starter battery is essential and not something you want to mess up.

Regards,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
Opua, NZ

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020, 3:17 PM JOHN HAYES <johnhayes862@...> wrote:
[...]

Craig & Katherine Briggs

Mike - I've rewired mine so the standard fans operate when either main engine or genset is operating plus I have a manual "on" position so I can run the fans with no engine (when working in the engine room or to cool it after motoring). Use a couple of diodes in the circuit to isolate the engines.
Cheers, Craig

JOHN HAYES

Mike we run them only when the motor is running
And have put in a seperate switch to turn them on and off

Currently we heading south to bluff before the entrails of the cyclone gets there and then will head south to the Auckland islands

Our issue the reverse of yours spent the day fiddling with the fuel flow to the diesel heater eventually getting it right .... we need heat not cold for the next few weeks

Give me a shout if you are coming to Wellington