Topics

mildew / mold in cabinets on white fabric liner

Jarek Zemlo

Hello to All,

I am looking for a good proven way and products (home made or commercial) to fight and clean cabinets internal fabric lining which is covered by black mold/mildew in Amel SM.

Thank you for a good advice

--
Jarek Zemlo

Hi Jarek,

Sorry to hear of your mould . We had some on our alcantara covers  and Judy scrubbed with a nail brush and a VERY weak solution of vinegar and bleach ( clorox ) .
When clean again she treated with Scotchguard
When leaving the boat in humid places Judy wiped down the alcantara with a very weak solution of vinegar and bleach
There are rarely more than two of us on board and the alcantara is in good condition after 19 years

Hope that helps

Ian and Judy , Pen Azen , SM 302 Greece

On 4 Jun 2019, at 00:09, Jarek Zemlo <zemlo.jarek@...> wrote:

Hello to All,

I am looking for a good proven way and products (home made or commercial) to fight and clean cabinets internal fabric lining which is covered by black mold/mildew in Amel SM.

Thank you for a good advice

--
Jarek Zemlo

Jarek Zemlo

Dear Judy  & Ian,
thanks for the reply and advice.

Kind regards
--
Jarek Zemlo

Jarek,

That fabric is made from a synthetic yarn named Draylon. Draylon is an acrylic fiber. These fibers will not attract mold, but when dust accumulates on the fibers, mold can adhere to the dust. The cabinets should be vacuumed on an annual basis.

I have successfully used a product called MicroBan (https://www.microban.com) to kill mold and mildew. It will take 2 applications and about 2 weeks. Once that is done, you should vigorously vacuum the fabric to remove any residue. Once that is complete, if you still see signs of staining, you may want to shampoo the fabric with water and mild liquid soap (a weak mixture). Rinse using a sponge...then use a wet vac to remove as much moisture as possible. Getting all of the moisture out as soon as possible is very important...use fans to dry the fabric completely and leave the doors open for a week to ensure the fabric is dry.

You will find that this fabric is very durable and the fiber used to make this fabric is the best in the world.

I hope this helps you.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 6:31 AM Jarek Zemlo <zemlo.jarek@...> wrote:
Dear Judy  & Ian,
thanks for the reply and advice.

Kind regards
--
Jarek Zemlo

Jarek Zemlo

Bill

Thank you very much

Jarek Zemlo

Gary Wells

Ours were kind of rough when we bought Adagio, and it took some experimenting before I found a good option.  I say 'good' but it's still a.fair amount of work.
Folex brand stain and mildew remover was the first assault.  Spray it on heavily, let it soak for several (10-15) minutes then scrub with a bristle brush.
Next, I use a "Green Machine" miniature carpet cleaner with a mix of pet stain/odor removing carpet shampoo and hot water. Using this, I soak, scrub and wet-vac until it looks pretty good.
Finally, I again used the Green Machine with water and about 3%-5% bleach and it really made it look nice.
I did only a couple of cabinets at a time so I could use portable fans to make sure they dried out nice and quickly.

I was worried that all this chemical attacking would possibly loosen the adhesive, but so far so good after about 5 years.

Generally, we leave cabinet doors open if it's reasonably do-able just to keep some airflow going.

It's a tough scenario with such a tight boat.  Good problem to have, actually :).

Gary W.
SM 209, Adagio
Maryland, USA