Topics

Stuffing box drainage path

Thomas Kleman

As I write this, I want to be clear that a) my stuffing box is dry thanks to copying Eric Freedman's stuffing box extension idea and b) I'm not contemplating changing anything on my boat (SM2K 422).

My question is more of a "why is it designed this way" question.

There are a handful of normal paths for water to enter the boat. They all lead to the bilge or out of the boat directly. Chain locker and bow thruster....plumbed to bilge. Main mast furler wire loop.....drains in bow shower. Cockpit....to the scuppers.....but the stuffing box area just overflows into the starboard lower cubby in aft and all over floor. This, when that area would have been a downhill run under bed and into aft shower. Seemingly consistent with the other areas if it drained that way.

I suspect that the designers felt it was important to spot the first gallon of stuffing box leakage by making it obvious, but bow thruster and chain locker water buildup are arguably also important.

As I said, I would never change something like this. Just wanted to understand more about the design theory.

Mark Erdos

We installed a water sensor alarm in this area.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us

[...]

Gary Wells

My bow thruster will not leak to an exit to the bilge.  It will be stopped at the forward head where it must be dealt with manually.  If you have a situation where seawater has a direct path to the the engine room bilge (other than the anchor locker), I would say that it's not original (or I didn't read your statement correctly). ..

Having a water alarm next to the rudder quadrant is a great idea.  I just have to hoist the bed once a month while we're parked, once a day while we are underway.

Gary W.
SM 209, Adagio
Maryland, USA

Gary

Late model SM Bow Thrusters do capture any sea water seepage and drain that to the gray water bilge. This change was done sometime in 2003.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019, 6:40 PM Gary Wells <gary@...> wrote:
My bow thruster will not leak to an exit to the bilge.  It will be stopped at the forward head where it must be dealt with manually.  If you have a situation where seawater has a direct path to the the engine room bilge (other than the anchor locker), I would say that it's not original (or I didn't read your statement correctly). ..

Having a water alarm next to the rudder quadrant is a great idea.  I just have to hoist the bed once a month while we're parked, once a day while we are underway.

Gary W.
SM 209, Adagio
Maryland, USA

karkauai

Can that change be retrofitted to a 1999 SM?

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Jun 7, 2019, at 8:11 AM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

John Clark

This is a mod that I want to do for Annie, SM 37.  I think a water indicator alarm would be a prudent addition to the water capture mod.

On Fri, Jun 7, 2019, 8:11 AM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
[...]

Kent,

I think Cream Puff was retrofitted. We have a pump in the area that collects water from the leaking bow-thruster area connected to a sensor and alarm. When the sensor kicks in the alarm sounds and the pump automatically pumps the water into the forward head shower pan that obviously makes its way to the bilge. The alarm can be silenced for those trips when the bow thruster seriously need new seals.

I particularly like this set up because no modification was made to the watertight bulkhead.

[...]

Let's add this to our agenda when we meet on your boat in July.

An identical retrofit would be difficult, but I've got an idea and a plan, which doesn't include pumps or bulkhead modifications. We can possibly do the modifications while I am there, then share it with everyone.

On Fri, Jun 7, 2019, 6:09 PM karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi guys

 I am staggered at the equanimity with which you accept water ingress. At the first sign of seepage around either the bow thruster or the rudder shaft I fix it. If there is a biannual replacement of the thruster foam seals  an at sea change of the upper seal does it and likewise the stuffing box is a easy at sea fix. Regular maintenance of both reduces the chance of needing to do it at sea.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 08 June 2019 at 12:52 Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

[...]

 Guys AND Gals,    ( Gotta get that right as the admiral on Pen Azen is female),

I share Danny's surprise, but maybe we are just lucky.  We have had water through the bow thruster but only when we have waited too long between changing the foam seals. We've just been through a big bash to windward when we had to motor sail into heavy seas---not a drop came in.  To be fair, we rarely use our bow thruster, as once we are afloat we prefer to live at anchor.

 As to the rudder stuffing box, I will have to leave you to guess if a drop has ever  come through in 19 years and nearly 65,000 miles, because my admiral is really superstitious and if I spelt out the answer she would hit me over the head with the anchor for tempting fate.

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 Greece

[...]

Craig & Katherine Briggs

Judy & Ian -
Let me guess: It's the same answer I give when people ask if I've been sailing all my life ......, "Not Yet!"
Cheers, Craig & Katherine, SN68 Sangaris

 Craig & Kathrine,

Can't say if you've guessed right--my lips are as sealed as our stuffing box......

Ian

Let me guess: It's the same answer I give when people ask if I've been sailing all my life ......, "Not Yet!"
Cheers, Craig & Katherine, SN68 Sangaris

karkauai

Thanks Mark.  I guess they drilled through the shower pan into the space below?  I have an alarm but have to pump by hand or with a 24v hand-held Pump.  So far the worst it’s been was 3-4 liters that collect in a couple of places that I can get to.  Some water collects outboard of the stringers if we’re heeled over, and there’s no way to get it out. I’d like to collect it in the forward cabin just aft of the bow thruster and pipe it directly into the drainage system that drains the forward AC condensate.
Has anyone tried that?
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Jun 7, 2019, at 8:52 PM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

[...]

Sounds good, Bill.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Jun 7, 2019, at 10:06 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Danny,
If it’s leaking when we set out, I fix it.  If it starts leaking while on passage, (and it has done this twice in 10 years), I’ve just kept an eye on it until I get to port.  Both times it wasn’t a lot of water, but enough that I pumped it into the shower when it got to be a few liters..  that was still enough to get some outboard of the stringers when close-hauled.  Once in port I do the seal changes.

If anyone has ideas about how to remove the water that gets outboard of the stringers, I’m all ears.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM 243

On Jun 8, 2019, at 10:00 AM, karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Kent,

I have a paddle wheel speed transducer that I swap for a blank when I leave the boat on the mooring to avoid it getting clogged up with marine growth. The swap always results in a few litres of water. I have a large sponge I use to mop it up and transfer it to the shower drain. A long arm on that sponge might reach behind the stringer, or if the arm is too short, extend it by tying  the sponge to a stick.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 09 June 2019 at 05:14 "karkauai via Groups.Io" <karkauai@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Danny.  I’ve tried that and if I twist into a pretzel and stand on my head I can get most of it on the starboard side, but not even close on the port side.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Jun 8, 2019, at 3:50 PM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

[...]

try healing on the opposite tack and bringing the water back to the middle. Lay some sponges there to catch it before it disappears to the other side

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 09 June 2019 at 10:32 "karkauai via Groups.Io" <karkauai@...> wrote:

[...]

Well, that makes sense...duh?  lol
I guess that’s why they pay you the big bucks, eh?

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Jun 8, 2019, at 9:45 PM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

[...]

James Alton

If you provide a path, water will flow to the lowest part of the bilge.  This does not have to be a limber hole though that is the fastest form of transport. ,You can  use something absorbent to form a wick that siphons the water slowly from the pool up higher to the lower bilge.  Fill a bucket half full and stick part of the towel into the bucket and lay the rest of the floor...

James