Topics

TMD22 Emergency Shutoff

What is the best way to shut off a TMD22 when there is no power available to use the normal shut off method?

Bill Rouse
Yacht School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

jlm@jlmertz.fr

Wery easy to do you stop the fresh air input .....:-)

JLMERTZ

CottonBay

Le 09/06/2019 à 20:23, CW Bill Rouse a écrit :
What is the best way to shut off a TMD22 when there is no power available to use the normal shut off method?

Bill Rouse
Yacht School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com

Thanks to Kent for this:
image.png
Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Sun, Jun 9, 2019 at 1:46 PM jlm@... <jlm@...> wrote:

Wery easy to do you stop the fresh air input .....:-)

JLMERTZ

CottonBay

Le 09/06/2019 à 20:23, CW Bill Rouse a écrit :
What is the best way to shut off a TMD22 when there is no power available to use the normal shut off method?

Bill Rouse
Yacht School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com

Germain Jean-Pierre

Or ....

Shut off the fuel via the shut off valve. Takes longer though.

Jean-Pierre

On 10 Jun 2019, at 07:39, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Thanks to Kent for this:
<image.png>
Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Sun, Jun 9, 2019 at 1:46 PM jlm@... <jlm@...> wrote:

Wery easy to do you stop the fresh air input .....:-)

JLMERTZ

CottonBay

Le 09/06/2019 à 20:23, CW Bill Rouse a écrit :
What is the best way to shut off a TMD22 when there is no power available to use the normal shut off method?

Bill Rouse
Yacht School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi,

This is not a light weight topic. There are serious dangers involved. First. The comment about shutting off the fresh air supply. I presume this reffered to blocking the air intake. A hand put over this at reves would almost certainly result in serious injury. The suction on a reving diesel engine is considerable. Secondly, in an emergency shutting the fuel off would be way too slow. The lever on the side of the injector oump is the only safe option snd every operator should be familar with this. Diesel engines in some  circumstances can run away rev. Also consider being in the engine room and an emegency happenned, something around the drive shaft, a burst water hose or any thing else that might require instant reaction. I commend to all owners to identify their emergency shut off and practice using it.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 10 June 2019 at 11:24 Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...> wrote:

[...]

Jean Boucharlat

Yes, stopping the air input does work, but…it can be seriously hazardous to the palm of your hand if you do it by hand as the depression is quite strong. On the other hand (pun intended), if you use rags, they will be sucked into the engine. So some caution is necessary with this method.

Jean Boucharlat

Formerly SM 232

Wery easy to do you stop the fresh air input .....:-)

JLMERTZ

CottonBay

Le 09/06/2019 à 20:23, CW Bill Rouse a écrit :

What is the best way to shut off a TMD22 when there is no power available to use the normal shut off method?

Bill Rouse
Yacht School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com

Craig Briggs

Bill and all,
On our SN there's a light line (or cord) tied to the hole in the injection pump lever and run to a hole drilled in the lip of the engine room hatch opening. You just lift the hatch and pull on the cord - no need to go anywhere near the engine.  I'm next to certain that Captain Henri installed it himself.
Craig, SN68 Sangaris.

jlm@jlmertz.fr

Super Idea ...

JLMERTZ

CottonBay

Le 10/06/2019 à 13:33, Craig Briggs via Groups.Io a écrit :
Bill and all,
On our SN there's a light line (or cord) tied to the hole in the injection pump lever and run to a hole drilled in the lip of the engine room hatch opening. You just lift the hatch and pull on the cord - no need to go anywhere near the engine.  I'm next to certain that Captain Henri installed it himself.
Craig, SN68 Sangaris.

Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com

Craig,

Photo when you get a chance.

My problem was someone else was asking me by phone. I knew where it was, how to operate it, but didn't have a drawing or photo to send to him. And, by phone, I couldn't describe it well enough for him to find it. In his case it wasn't painted red. Additionally, the manual I had did not have an illustration. Fortunately, Kent emailed me a drawing.

Craig, I believe the stop cord was a Volvo option, at least I remember reading that yesterday.

It is important to not only know where the lever is, but to ensure it is painted red and you have tested it. The Yanmar(s) and Onan(s) mechanical shut offs are painted red. The Volvo D3 has a red stop button on the stbd top side of the engine.

The Onan will shut down when Master Battery switches are turned OFF, or either the red Emergency or 12 volt switches on its panel are turned OFF. Like the Onan, the D3 requires 12 volts to run, but it will not shut OFF with the Main Battery Switches turned OFF because the D3 will self-power from it's 12 volt alternator.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019, 6:33 AM Craig Briggs via Groups.Io <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bill and all,
On our SN there's a light line (or cord) tied to the hole in the injection pump lever and run to a hole drilled in the lip of the engine room hatch opening. You just lift the hatch and pull on the cord - no need to go anywhere near the engine.  I'm next to certain that Captain Henri installed it himself.
Craig, SN68 Sangaris.

Craig Briggs

Bill,
I'd be surprised that a piece of string was a Volvo option - I'm stickin' with Captain Henri having installed it.
Cheers, Craig

Craig,

Well, maybe we are both right.

There is a Volvo part with a pull cord, but not as foolproof as what the captain installed on your SN😀.

Actually, I can't believe this part! I am sure it is expensive from Volvo!

image.png
Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 7:41 AM Craig Briggs via Groups.Io <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bill,
I'd be surprised that a piece of string was a Volvo option - I'm stickin' with Captain Henri having installed it.
Cheers, Craig

rossirossix4

Hi Bill,

Previous owner had installed a cable shut off pull--just Google "cable shut off pull" or you can buy them on eBay.....the red pull handle is right under the helm seat and he had just drilled a small cable diameter hole straight down into the engine room and then to the manual fuel shut off lever thingy on the engine....cable is not in the way of anything.  We went through a period when our red Yanmar stop button did not work (fixed with CorrosionX) and it was pretty handy!  There are plenty of situations where you don't want to have to climb down into the engine room to stop the diesel engine. I can send pics but it is pretty straight forward.

Blocking the air intake is necessary if you have a diesel runaway (where the engine begins to consume the crankcase oil).  The electric or manual fuel shut off will not work in that situation.  I just hate it when that happens!

Bob KAIMI SM 429
Aruba, Apparently the Windiest Place in the Universe

Ian Park

Craig
My Santorin does not have that line fitted. I will check on the lever on the pump. It sounds like a good idea to fit one and put a dash of red paint on it too.

On another topic - do you still have the fuel dipstick? I can only fill my fuel tank up to the 360 litre mark. I can see the diesel in the neck of the filler pipe so I know it must be full. I just wonder if Henri designed it to have a 40 litre reserve.....

Best wishes. Just out of the Caledonian canal en route to the Baltic. Lots of ran here.

Ian and Linda

Ocean Hobo SN96

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Bob, of course you are right about the runaway engine needing air intake stopping. However please all, never try with a hand. You might and only might get away with it if the motor is at an idle, at high revs a hate to think of the outcome

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 11 June 2019 at 03:34 rossirossix4 <rossidesigngroup@...> wrote:

[...]

Ric <ric@...>

Isn't the point to see how empty the tank is? Dipstick works great & a new one can be made.
Still kickin it
Ric
Bali Hai SN24
Annapolis

My Santorin does not have that line fitted. I will check on the lever on the pump. It sounds like a good idea to fit one and put a dash of red paint on it too.

On another topic - do you still have the fuel dipstick? I can only fill my fuel tank up to the 360 litre mark. I can see the diesel in the neck of the filler pipe so I know it must be full. I just wonder if Henri designed it to have a 40 litre reserve.....

Best wishes. Just out of the Caledonian canal en route to the Baltic. Lots of ran here.

Ian and Linda

Ocean Hobo SN96

Ian Park

Ric
Exactly! So once I’ve used 350 litres do I have 10 litres left or 50? It’s the original stick too. So I was just asking other Santorin owners whether they register a 400 reading when the tank is full?

Ian

Ocean Hobo

On 10 Jun 2019, at 21:07, Ric <ric@...> wrote:

Isn't the point to see how empty the tank is? Dipstick works great & a new one can be made.
Still kickin it
Ric
Bali Hai SN24
Annapolis
My Santorin does not have that line fitted. I will check on the lever on the pump. It sounds like a good idea to fit one and put a dash of red paint on it too.

On another topic - do you still have the fuel dipstick? I can only fill my fuel tank up to the 360 litre mark. I can see the diesel in the neck of the filler pipe so I know it must be full. I just wonder if Henri designed it to have a 40 litre reserve.....

Best wishes. Just out of the Caledonian canal en route to the Baltic. Lots of ran here.

Ian and Linda

Ocean Hobo SN96

Germain Jean-Pierre

I do not know about the Santorin specifically but on my SM, #007 an early hull, my fuel tanks do not hold 600 liters as per the 2000’s but only 565.

As an aside, the “stick" is accurately graduated and I can estimate the refill to +- 5 liters on each fill up.

The Volvo is a bit less thirsty than Yanmar… this may be the reason for less fuel quantity in the early SM’s.

Good luck but if you want a definitive answer, Olivier would be a good source….

Blue side down.

Jean-Pierre Germain, SY Eleuthera, SM 007, Fiji.

On 11 Jun 2019, at 08:44, Ian <parkianj@...> wrote:

[...]

HI guys,
Yes, mine's the same - seems the stick is a bit off.  Only tempted the fates once and ran down to about 20 liters and got away with it.
DId you get a nibble from Nessy in the canal - super place.
Cheers, Craig

rossirossix4

Agree!  I think I would just stay away and let the motor disintegrate!

John Clark

Bill, there is a lever next to the point where the throttle cable connects to the engine.  Lift/ twist the lever and it cuts off the fuel supply just like the shut off solenoid would if there was power.

I painted mine bright pink(only highvis color available in Marin) so other crew could find it fast.