Furuno Weather Fax

James Cromie

Hello everyone -

I'd like to ask of those on the forum who uses their Weatherfax units?  I don't even know to use the one on my boat.  It seems to me that it may be a legacy item and no longer serves much use because of newer and less bulky technology.

I'd like to know how many of you use this!

Thanks!
James
Soteria SM347.  Le Marin

Craig Briggs

James,
They make OK dinghy anchors.
Then again, they are kind of bullet proof as legacy technology should you not have newer replacements and DIY weather forecasting is kind of cool if you're into that.
This is why they make chocolate and vanilla.
Craig

Alan Leslie

Used it once just to see how it worked. Never used it again, de-installed it and put in a cupboard !
We use the fax decoder that comes with the Airmail client for Sailmail on a laptop connected to the SSB. It works very well.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

karkauai

Mine has never worked.  I use Iridium and have an old iridium phone as backup.  But...before we cross the Pacific I’m going to get the SSB and Weatherfax working and learn how to use it in case the Iridium fails.

Kent & Iris
Kristy
SM 243

On Jun 17, 2019, at 1:35 AM, Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:

Used it once just to see how it worked. Never used it again, de-installed it and put in a cupboard !
We use the fax decoder that comes with the Airmail client for Sailmail on a laptop connected to the SSB. It works very well.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

James Cromie