Topics

Gears of bow thruster worn out after 12 times of use, two questions

Willem Kroes

Dear Amelians,

After installing a new kit with gears and bearings from Amel last October and after using the bow thruster not more than 12 times the gears are worn out like in October.

The diagnosis of the mechanic with some experience with Amel boats is that there was too much play between the vertical and horizontal gears and that spacers or shims are needed add to the bearings in order to set the gear wheels in a proper fixed position.

First question: is Amel selling a set of shims with different thickness (0.10 to 0.50 mm)?

Second question: What is your opinion about what the mechanic told me?

Best regards,

Willem Kroes

SM#351  KAVANGA

Now at anchor near the Aktio marina close to Preveza in Greece

If your bow thruster needs shims, it is the first time I have heard of this issue.

How much oil was in the bow thruster when the overhaul was done and the bow thruster reinstalled?

What type of oil did you use?

How much oil and/or water was in the bow thruster when you discovered the gears worn this time?

Do you know if the horizontal shaft is original? Is it worn? Did you replace it when the gears were replaced?

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 2:11 AM Willem Kroes <kavanga@...> wrote:
Dear Amelians,

After installing a new kit with gears and bearings from Amel last October and after using the bow thruster not more than 12 times the gears are worn out like in October.

The diagnosis of the mechanic with some experience with Amel boats is that there was too much play between the vertical and horizontal gears and that spacers or shims are needed add to the bearings in order to set the gear wheels in a proper fixed position.

First question: is Amel selling a set of shims with different thickness (0.10 to 0.50 mm)?

Second question: What is your opinion about what the mechanic told me?

Best regards,

Willem Kroes

SM#351  KAVANGA

Now at anchor near the Aktio marina close to Preveza in Greece

Alan Leslie

Willem,
When we replaced bow thruster parts in Fiji last year, Amel told us this :

-Bowthruster mechanism (see photo): the parts composing this mechanism cannot be sold separately as everything is perfectly adjusted together (especially the gears and shaft and black cap) to avoid any failure in the system. The price is 582.40 euros without taxes and without transport.

I am sure you can find the roller bearing locally. I can give you the exact SKF reference if needed.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Mark McGovern

Willem,

Can you post some pictures of your gears to show us the wear that you are seeing?  I changed out the bearings on my bowthruster this past winter for no real reason other than the fact that they were 15 years old.  I was surprised with how loose the gears fit together and found that there was a lot of "play" or "slop" in them.  However, there was no appreciable wear on the teeth.  I sent a video to my surveyor Olivier Beaute showing the amount of play and he said it was what he would consider a normal amount of play.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

Germain Jean-Pierre

FWIW, I had a set of gears machined by shop in NZ.  Works well although we use it rarely as we anchor most times.

GL with your repair.

JP Germain, Eleuthera, SM 007

On 17 Jun 2019, at 19:11, Willem Kroes <kavanga@...> wrote:

Dear Amelians,

After installing a new kit with gears and bearings from Amel last October and after using the bow thruster not more than 12 times the gears are worn out like in October.

The diagnosis of the mechanic with some experience with Amel boats is that there was too much play between the vertical and horizontal gears and that spacers or shims are needed add to the bearings in order to set the gear wheels in a proper fixed position.

First question: is Amel selling a set of shims with different thickness (0.10 to 0.50 mm)?

Second question: What is your opinion about what the mechanic told me?

Best regards,

Willem Kroes

SM#351  KAVANGA

Now at anchor near the Aktio marina close to Preveza in Greece

Willem Kroes

Hi Bill,

After discussions with the mechanic here in Preveza and phone calls with Maud at the Amel factory the following is now clear (to me):

Last year in October I experienced suddenly a screaming noise and no thrust anymore. I went to the Ascar Boatyard in Cartagena Spain and after opening they showed me worn out gears, not having grip at each other. So I ordered the kit from Amel and the mechanic of the Ascar boatyard experienced problems with the installation of the new end cap (part of the kit). The screw holes in the cap not matching the holes in the foot and also a difference in diameter between the old cap (just fitting) and the new cap going in very easy (new cap 84,02 mm and old cap 84,34 mm). So he used the old cap, but did nit notice that also the inside of the new cap was 0,25 mm more towards the bearing, compared to the old cap. He installed without checking the play by pushing and pulling the propeller hub after installation. The mechanic here at the Aktio Marina boatyard told me that there was a very big amount of play causing the premature failing of the gears. So he suggested to use spacers to control the amount of play. After consulting an Amel technician, Maud told me that using the new cap of the kit will result in a correct, very small amount of play between the gear wheels, but using the old cap will result in a premature extreme wear of the gears. She also told me that it is possible that the screw holes in the new cap will not correspond with the wholes in the foot and that also the diameter of the new cap is somewhat smaller than of the old cap. The Amel technician agreed that a solution can be reached with using the old cap with placing a spacer of about 0,25 mm against the bearing to correct the difference in inside depth compared to the new cap.

I still find it a little strange that Amel is supplying a not fitting end cap with the kit they sell to replace the bearings and gears of the foot of the bow thruster. She offered me a 20% discount on the price of the new kit.

Best regards,

Willem Kroes

SM#351 KAVANGA

Willem Kroes

Hi Alan,

Yes, I know all parts of the kit need to be installed. That was done last October except the end cap.  But dit the end cap fit on the foot of your bow thruster or did you had to drill other holes into the cap? Have a look also to my reaction to Bills comment.

Kind regards,

Willem

Willem Kroes

Hi Mark,

Yes, I took a picture of the bigger gear wheel. Please find it attached.

Kind regards,

Willem

SM#351 KAVANGA

Alan Leslie

Edited

Hi Willem
No issues with the end cap.
Everything Maud sent fitted perfectly EXCEPT the woodruff key!
The slot in the new gear was smaller than the old one, so I filed the key down to make it fit.
Alexandre (NIKIMAT) had the same issue but he had the slot in the gear re-machined to make the key fit.
Otherwise no issues.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437