Topics

Fixed Port Lights - Maramu

Andy Croney

Dear Amel Family,

 a small question;

We intend to replace all four fixed port lights in the coming months .

We see that the stainless cover / fixing plate is held with screws , not bolted through and there appears to be a “rubber “ gasket.  Doesn’t seem to be silicone ?  .

Can anyone advise what material was used by Amel?

is there anything we should be aware of before attempting this project ????

Please see photo below by way of illustration:-

Thanks again for all support, very much appreciated.

christian alby <calbyy@...>

Hello Andy
did not see attachment & a little baffled by '4' fixed Port lights ?
just in case this meets your query, I just replaced my Port signal light by same model as original,
-manufacturer DHR in Holland, model 35 base Z (side holder);
helps keep the boat in vintage condition using Equipment worth its salt.
as Mr henri would have done.
DHR catalog is fairly comprehensive & true to tradition.

farewell

christian alby - Désirade VIII - Maramu 116 - now in Canet en Roussillon

Le lundi 17 juin 2019 à 23:21:00 UTC−4, Andy via Groups.Io <allezaubon@...> a écrit :

Dear Amel Family,

 a small question;

We intend to replace all four fixed port lights in the coming months .

We see that the stainless cover / fixing plate is held with screws , not bolted through and there appears to be a “rubber “ gasket.  Doesn’t seem to be silicone ?  .

Can anyone advise what material was used by Amel?

is there anything we should be aware of before attempting this project ????

Please see photo below by way of illustration:-

Thanks again for all support, very much appreciated.

Andy Croney

Hi Christian ,

Thanks for your feedback.

Apologies for the unintended ambiguity.

We are changing the four fixed a acrylic /Perspex windows, two port and starboard in the saloon and two in the aft cabin.

We see the saloon =E2=80=9C windows=E2=80=9D are 8mm thick and the aft cabin=
only 6mm.

We believe they may be original !!

We believe Sikaflex has been used as the sealant.
We intend to reseal using Dow 795 .

Apologies about not attaching the thumbnail. I had some
issues posting it ;-)

Trust above is helpful by way of clarification.

Fair winds

Andy Croney
SV Paladin
Maramu #75

christian alby <calbyy@...>

I get the 'four ports' now
vocaburay richer
did replace plexi on previous boat & used Sika 295UV, on primer Sika 209
choice of sealant is important, but procedure to remove existing without damage to structure or bolt holes, & positionning new one is of utmost importance !
On old boat I did edit Lewmar technical guide & Goiot recommendations & read carefully before tackling the job.
Did go hzardly well (with usual hicups with bolts holes & alignments) until completion, & waterproof test.
wishing you success & clear view of sky & sea

christian - Désirade VIII - Maramu 116 - now in Canet en Roussillon

Le jeudi 27 juin 2019 à 03:45:21 UTC−4, Andy via Groups.Io <allezaubon@...> a écrit :

Hi Christian ,

Thanks for your feedback.

Apologies for the unintended ambiguity.

We are changing the four fixed a acrylic /Perspex windows, two port and starboard in the saloon and two in the aft cabin.

We see the saloon =E2=80=9C windows=E2=80=9D are 8mm thick and the aft cabin=
only 6mm.

We believe they may be original !!

We believe Sikaflex has been used as the sealant.
We intend to reseal using Dow 795 .

Apologies about not attaching the thumbnail. I had some
issues posting it  ;-)

Trust above is helpful by way of clarification.

Fair winds

Andy Croney
SV Paladin
Maramu #75

Arlo

Edited

I just pulled the forward starboard port window to reseal and there were about 8 through bolts plus another few dozen screws.  The backside of these bolts are accessible by removing 2 pieces of trim just above and below the window. I used butyl tape to seal and it is works like a champ with the plastic window material. I have used butyl tape for 15 years for sealing hatches, chainplates, portlights, stantions and it has always held up well. Butyl tape has a higher elasticity compared to most of the sealants on the market, makes less of a mess and is easy to clean off if the parts should ever need removing and replacing.