Chesapeake Bay mooring/slip for 2 months?

Scott SV Tengah

Hi all,

We're in The Bahamas now heading to the Chesapeake area for a bit and plan to leave Tengah, our A54 for 2 months to visit family and travel overland.

I know many of you are either from there or have spent far more time there than me (me = zero). Does anyone have suggestions for a place to leave her for July and August? I would prefer something cheap, obviously. Anywhere in the Chesapeake is fine as we are visiting my family in DC and am not opposed to traveling a bit overland to get there. Most of the places I've emailed either are too shallow (eg - "Do you mind bumping on the mud at low tide?") or can't handle boats of this size.

A mooring or a slip is fine. I won't be living aboard except maybe a few days on the frontend to prepare to leave her and on the backend to fix the things that broke while we are gone. :)

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Mark Erdos

Scott,

There is a state owned marina in Maryland that is perfect choice. It is inexpensive and very well protected on all sides. If I recall the rate was about $800 per month with electric and water included. But it is also off the beaten path. We stayed here for about 3 months and used it as a base to explore the surrounding areas. To rent a car, you need to take a bus to Princess Anne where Enterprise from Salisbury will meet you and take you up to Salisbury (not hard to do). There is a USCG station there and they have new floating docks. Here is a link: https://somerscovemarina.com/index.html

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us

Just remembered we also stayed at Hampton Bay – well protected and has good transient short term rates. Concrete floating docks. Rental car is on site: http://www.hamptonlandingmarina.com/

Another option is Fishing Bay Marina. We stayed there for about a month. Not as well protected as Crisfield but also nice. Old wood docks. https://fishingbay.com/

[...]

sherman.gifford

Hi Scott -

Rebel Marine in Norfolk is awesome - have been there with Brevis (SM291) for several years - have developed a network of services that know Amels well in case you need anything.

Best wishes - Sherman (804) 335-4146

[...]

Mark,

Thanks, for the Fishing Bay and Somers Cove info. It seems the link you sent for Hampton Landing is in NY?

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Scott SV Tengah

Thanks, Sherman. I reached out to them and mentioned your name.
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Mark Erdos

Sorry,

Not the Hampton Landing marina, this one: https://www.downtownhampton.com/boating/public-piers

This is a city own marina and is located downtown close to everything.

Are you familiar with ActiveCaptain.com – it is a good source for finding marina and being able to look at nautical charts for the approach etc. The site usually has rate info. In addition to reviews.

[...]

Great!  Pls let me know if I can help.  David Briggs is the owner/manager - really good guy.  Sherman