Topics

Eberspacher 5L diesel heater

Duane Siegfri

Hi all,

We have the 5L diesel heater on Wanderer.  It wasn't working when we bought the boat, and I had it checked when we were in Jamestown last August.  The tech right away found it was the PCB that was the problem, "corrosion".  He replaced it and Voila! it worked!  He told me to run the heater once a month to keep it dry.

What I really liked about this unit, is that when it's raining and the boat is closed up, we can turn on the "ventilation" mode where only the fan runs but no diesel is burned.  It brings in outside air and keeps the boat cooler.  Also, when it's cold, it takes outside air with low humidity, heats it, lowering the relative humidity even more resulting in less humidity problems in the winter.

Now ten months later we're back to it doesn't work and it has the same symptoms.  It seems the PCB is again corroded.  The PCB runs $250.  Has anyone else had this problem?   Is the unit not made for marine service?  Most of the videos I've seen for repair advice are related to van installations.  I plan to hit liberally with some Corrosion-X but not sure that's a solution.

Duane
Wanderer, SM#477

Dave Ritten

Sounds like you should consider applying a “conformal coating” to the PCB. This is like a thick lacquer that prevents corrosion and is a standard process in preparing PCBs for harsh environments. It is s PITA for manufacturers as they have to mask off connectors, relays etc but pretty easy to do on a one off retrofit basis. Most electronics hobbyist stores carry spray cans of the stuff. I had same problem with the rear SAM (computer) module in my Merc and gave a spray coating and no more issues. Hope this helps.
Dave

--
Dave Ritten
Auckland

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi,
I spray all electrical connections with marine crc, or WD 40 or Corrosion x. All work for me and avoid these corrosion problems.
Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 21 June 2019 at 19:11 Dave Ritten <daveritten@...> wrote:

Sounds like you should consider applying a “conformal coating” to the PCB. This is like a thick lacquer that prevents corrosion and is a standard process in preparing PCBs for harsh environments. It is s PITA for manufacturers as they have to mask off connectors, relays etc but pretty easy to do on a one off retrofit basis. Most electronics hobbyist stores carry spray cans of the stuff. I had same problem with the rear SAM (computer) module in my Merc and gave a spray coating and no more issues. Hope this helps.
Dave

--
Dave Ritten
Auckland
Prospective SM Owner

Alan Grayson

Hi Duane, what were your symptoms? How long does it run on heat mode? Does the thermostat shut it down when it's warm?
Mine runs for about 7 mins just fine then stops. It has done this for a while but I have never been in a temp below 70 degrees. Tomorrow is forecast for 64 so I will try again.
Who did you have work on it as I can't seem to find anyone?
Regards
Alan Grayson
SV Ora Pai. SM 406
Washington DC
[...]

Alan,

Symptons:  When I turn the dial to ventilate, or one of the heat settings, the green indicator light in the dial comes on, but nothing else happens.  No heat, no fan.

The boatyard I was in (Jamestown RI), I'm not sure who the subcontractor was.

Duane

karkauai

Hi Duane,
where are you now?  There’s a good guy in Annapolis area who was recommended by Coastal Climate Control.  He works on Climma, Frigoboat, and Espar and....
His name is Mike Coleman, (443) 351-7827, AStarYachtServices@...

Hope you get it working, I’m going to be working on mine this summer, too.
Kent & Iris
Kristy
SM243

Mark McGovern

Duane,

Clean the corrosion off and pick up some of this to coat the PCB with:  https://www.mgchemicals.com/products/conformal-coatings/silicone-conformal-coating-422b

You can get it on Amazon.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

Duane Siegfri

Mark,

Thank you for the link.  I'm heading home for the summer soon, so it will be a while before I know if it works..

Duane

Duane Siegfri

Mike,

Thanks for the info.  We're in Carriacou headed for Grenada.  I'll keep the Annapolis info.

Hope all is well with you and Iris!
Duane
Wanderer, SM#477