super maramu, vibrations generated when the engine is running

jlm@jlmertz.fr

Hello everyone
I have two friends who have a SM (1997 and 1999) who after having changed all the mounts  and the coupling of the engine have a significant residual vibration.
Both have the distinction of having a fixed three-blade propeller.
Would there be in our group a person who had this problem or could have a track?
Jean Luc
CottonBay

ngtnewington Newington

On my last boat I used to have a fixed three blade prop and there was some vibration. It was a traditional shaft  and stern tube arrangement. I spent ages realigning the engine. Then I pulled the shaft and sent it with the prop to a machine shop. The shaft was true but the prop was not balanced properly. I decided to buy a feathering prop and keep the old as a spare. No more vibration....So it could be the prop.
Nick
Amelia AML 54-019 Paxos

On 21 Jun 2019, at 08:43, "jlm@..." <jlm@...> wrote:

Hello everyone
I have two friends who have a SM (1997 and 1999) who after having changed all the mounts  and the coupling of the engine have a significant residual vibration.
Both have the distinction of having a fixed three-blade propeller.
Would there be in our group a person who had this problem or could have a track?
Jean Luc
CottonBay

Barry Connor

Hi Nick, we are anchored outside next to the power boat. Would you like to come for coffee.

Barry and Penny
“Lady Penelope II”
Amel 54. #17
Paxos Greece

On Jun 21, 2019, at 09:50, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

[...]

arthur saftlas <art@...>

I have heard Yanmar is particularly bad with going thru mounts. Some engines do not run smoothly, some do.

Eric Freedman

Did they use the special alignment tool when installing the engine back into the C drive?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

I have two friends who have a SM (1997 and 1999) who after having changed all the mounts  and the coupling of the engine have a significant residual vibration.

Both have the distinction of having a fixed three-blade propeller.

Would there be in our group a person who had this problem or could have a track?
Jean Luc
CottonBay

ngtnewington Newington

Hi I am at Lakka, but moving round to Gaios this pm.
Nick

On 21 Jun 2019, at 10:36, arthur saftlas <art@2b-one.com> wrote:

I have heard Yanmar is particularly bad with going thru mounts. Some engines do not run smoothly, some do.

On a C-Drives older than 1999, don't forget to check the C-Drive foot for side-to-side movement by pushing on the aft end of the foot. No more than 8-10mm. If you have more, remove the foot bolt to the ballast and replace the bushing which is made of heavy rubber hose.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019, 4:28 AM ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi I am at Lakka, but moving round to Gaios this pm.
Nick
> On 21 Jun 2019, at 10:36, arthur saftlas <art@...> wrote:
>
> I have heard Yanmar is particularly bad with going thru mounts. Some engines do not run smoothly, some do.

ngtnewington Newington

Hi Bill,
On the 54 there is a bolt covered in black mastic from the bottom of the C drive to the iron keel. Presumably this anchors the C drive. Is there any adjustments or anything to look out for?
Nick
Amelia AML54-019 in Gaios Paxos

On 21 Jun 2019, at 16:34, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

On a C-Drives older than 1999, don't forget to check the C-Drive foot for side-to-side movement by pushing on the aft end of the foot. No more than 8-10mm. If you have more, remove the foot bolt to the ballast and replace the bushing which is made of heavy rubber hose.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019, 4:28 AM ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi I am at Lakka, but moving round to Gaios this pm.
Nick
> On 21 Jun 2019, at 10:36, arthur saftlas <art@...> wrote:
>
> I have heard Yanmar is particularly bad with going thru mounts. Some engines do not run smoothly, some do.

jlm@jlmertz.fr

Super Nick,

It is exactly my conclusion bat the two fixed prop are perfect, so I could not image it could be possible ...

Before to turn back to Autoprop (actually as spare) I will check the big bolt on the bottom of the C-drive that fixed it  on the keel ...

Merci beaucoup for your help full answer ...

Jean Luc MERTZ

on CottonBay

Le 21/06/2019 à 08:50, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io a écrit :
[...]

Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com

jlm@jlmertz.fr

Yes they do and the mechanical gay was experiment with AMEL SM

Merci

JLMERTZ

Le 21/06/2019 à 10:52, eric freedman a écrit :

Did they use the special alignment tool when installing the engine back into the C drive?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

I have two friends who have a SM (1997 and 1999) who after having changed all the mounts  and the coupling of the engine have a significant residual vibration.

Both have the distinction of having a fixed three-blade propeller.

Would there be in our group a person who had this problem or could have a track?
Jean Luc
CottonBay

Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com

jlm@jlmertz.fr

Thank you for the tip I will check it

Merci Beaucoup

Jean Luc MERTZ

On CottonBay

Le 21/06/2019 à 16:06, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io a écrit :
Hi Bill,
On the 54 there is a bolt covered in black mastic from the bottom of the C drive to the iron keel. Presumably this anchors the C drive. Is there any adjustments or anything to look out for?
Nick
Amelia AML54-019 in Gaios Paxos

On 21 Jun 2019, at 16:34, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

On a C-Drives older than 1999, don't forget to check the C-Drive foot for side-to-side movement by pushing on the aft end of the foot. No more than 8-10mm. If you have more, remove the foot bolt to the ballast and replace the bushing which is made of heavy rubber hose.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019, 4:28 AM ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi I am at Lakka, but moving round to Gaios this pm.
Nick
> On 21 Jun 2019, at 10:36, arthur saftlas <art@...> wrote:
>
> I have heard Yanmar is particularly bad with going thru mounts. Some engines do not run smoothly, some do.

Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com

jlm@jlmertz.fr

Thank you Bill, I will check this point at first,

Jean Luc MERTZ

On CottonBay

Le 21/06/2019 à 15:34, CW Bill Rouse a écrit :
On a C-Drives older than 1999, don't forget to check the C-Drive foot for side-to-side movement by pushing on the aft end of the foot. No more than 8-10mm. If you have more, remove the foot bolt to the ballast and replace the bushing which is made of heavy rubber hose.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019, 4:28 AM ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi I am at Lakka, but moving round to Gaios this pm.
Nick
> On 21 Jun 2019, at 10:36, arthur saftlas <art@...> wrote:
>
> I have heard Yanmar is particularly bad with going thru mounts. Some engines do not run smoothly, some do.

Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com

Nick, same as SM. There is a rubber bushing sleeved around that bolt. This is exactly what I am talking about.

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019, 9:06 AM ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Bill,
On the 54 there is a bolt covered in black mastic from the bottom of the C drive to the iron keel. Presumably this anchors the C drive. Is there any adjustments or anything to look out for?
Nick
Amelia AML54-019 in Gaios Paxos

On 21 Jun 2019, at 16:34, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

On a C-Drives older than 1999, don't forget to check the C-Drive foot for side-to-side movement by pushing on the aft end of the foot. No more than 8-10mm. If you have more, remove the foot bolt to the ballast and replace the bushing which is made of heavy rubber hose.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019, 4:28 AM ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi I am at Lakka, but moving round to Gaios this pm.
Nick
> On 21 Jun 2019, at 10:36, arthur saftlas <art@...> wrote:
>
> I have heard Yanmar is particularly bad with going thru mounts. Some engines do not run smoothly, some do.

ngtnewington Newington

Thanks  Bill,
I am pretty sure all is fine but next time I haul I will double check for any play beyond 8-10mm laterally.
Nick

On 21 Jun 2019, at 20:31, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Nick, same as SM. There is a rubber bushing sleeved around that bolt. This is exactly what I am talking about.

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019, 9:06 AM ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Bill,
On the 54 there is a bolt covered in black mastic from the bottom of the C drive to the iron keel. Presumably this anchors the C drive. Is there any adjustments or anything to look out for?
Nick
Amelia AML54-019 in Gaios Paxos

On 21 Jun 2019, at 16:34, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

On a C-Drives older than 1999, don't forget to check the C-Drive foot for side-to-side movement by pushing on the aft end of the foot. No more than 8-10mm. If you have more, remove the foot bolt to the ballast and replace the bushing which is made of heavy rubber hose.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019, 4:28 AM ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi I am at Lakka, but moving round to Gaios this pm.
Nick
> On 21 Jun 2019, at 10:36, arthur saftlas <art@...> wrote:
>
> I have heard Yanmar is particularly bad with going thru mounts. Some engines do not run smoothly, some do.

Peter de Groot

I just replaced that bushing on la Querida SM207 last week.
After replacing the fixed 19" prop with the original Autoprop (that the previous owner had removed) I found the vibration had increased.  When checking the C drive movement above the keel weight, there was more than 5mm but less than 10mm movement.  It seemed excessive, I checked in with Bill R, and then scraped away the sealing material.  In my case the bolt was loose.  so I found a soft but tight bushing material and reassembled making sure the bolt was snug. This has been the first weekend out since replacing and the vibration seem less, but not eliminated....(I know ...not very scientific).

Worthy of a mention:  To get the bolt centered, lateral adjustment (port to starboard) is easy, fore and aft adjustment is much stiffer.  My fore and aft alignment was 3 to 4 mm off in its unflexed state.  I could get alignment perfect by prying with considerable leverage.   Instead I opted for a softer hose material which absorbed the misalignment. I concluded the fore-aft alignment could be affected by too many factors in the engine compartment, and pressed for time I chose not to investigate further.
I'd be curious if any other Amelites have found similar conditions.

Peter de Groot
la Querida SM207
Moss Landing, California

jlm@jlmertz.fr

Merci Peter, Many thanks for this help full informations, I will check the C drive movement as soon as possible ....

Have a nice day....

JL Mertz

CottonBay