Topics

Material used by Amel on Super Maramus at the base of the masts

What is the material Amel used on a Super Maramu mast bases and where can it be purchased? Apparently it is a different material installed on 54s and later because the material used on later model Amels does not seem to last as long.

image.png
Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

Arno Luijten

Hi Bill,

You assumptions are only half correct. My mizzen has the same dark material underneath. The main has the lighter material. This was replaced at the time I purchased the boat. Amel Martinique has a special tool for this, a sort of modified jack to lift the mast just a bit for this.
If I were to guess both slabs are made out of solid polyurethane. Apparently the quality of the dark one is better. I may also be that the lighter one is actually an very dense form of polyurethane foam, so it has airbubbles inside contary to the mizzen mast version. Why they chose to change it I don’t know, maybe to dampen the shockloads when in heavy seas.

Just my 2 cents.

Arno
SV Luna,
A54-121