Topics

Rudder Post Conjecture

Gary Wells

Hi!

Just went through the exercise of pulling the steering crank from the rudder post as it is time to change then shaft stuffing.  Used the last sixth of a turn a couple of months ago so the big but has nothing else to give if (when) it starts to leak again.

To my surprise there were not three, not five (as I have read is something you can do with a cool bit of modificariion) but four pieces of stuffing in there.  I'm presuming this was because either; the P.O. used different size stuffing pieces (it's hard to tell because they're all smashed now) or maybe the last time the big nut hit the stop point the P.O. just added another piece to buy some time (which means what? .. could I just have added a fifth one??)
.
At any rate, i'm just going to use the three pieces that Amel sent and see how it goes (but I'm ordering more today :)

This is the first time I've done this job and I'll go on record as saying "wow! .. what a bear it is to get that crank off" after many years of siting and rust-welding into place.  After compulsory soakings with pbBlaster and AeroKroil and then the tugging, prying and banging I gave up and asked for yard help.  I have a puller, but it's not quite large enough for this job and a new one costs about an hour's worth of yard labor so I let them pull it apart.

After I cleaned (spelled "Angle Grinder) all the rust off and spent some quality time with the Dremel getting to the small spots the crank slipped back on very easily.

But ..  the hardest part so far has been that I purchased all new hardware (nut, bolts, washers lockpin) and one of the 14mm bolts galled a thread about half-way home.

I broke two tools trying to get it undone and finally used the angle grinder to cut the bolt hea off ..  sheesh .. didn't see that coming.

Ah well, should be finished by tomorrow .  Clean-up and de-corroding is the biggest part of the job :)

Will make.sur that the bonding circuit is good too (I just know someone was going to remind me of that :)

Gary W.
SM 209, Adagio
In the rack.

eric freedman

Hi Gary,

I painted The entire assembly with Rust Bullet paint except one side of the vertical portion that rests against the rudder post.

I have removed this “quadrant” a few times and the Rust Bullet is amazing stuff no rust.

I have painted a number of things on board and no rust after application. Used by the us navy.

It was recommended to me by my friend Eric Forsyth. An incredible sailor 360,000 miles on a home built boat .

3 x around the world northwest passage and much more. If you wish I would look at his book. It is his 50 year story about sailing. He is still sailing distances at age 86 years old.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

karkauai

Hi Gary,
Are you sure you’re not describing one of my projects?  Not that I wouldn’t expect problems anyway, but forewarned is forearmed.    Guess I should order two sets of stuffing and two sets of nuts and bolts, and gird myself for another 3-day job doing something that looks like it should take an hour or two.

Thanks for the description of what to expect.  Now anything less will be a pleasant surprise.
Kent

Kent & Iris
Kristy SM243

On Jun 25, 2019, at 1:26 PM, Gary Wells <gary@...> wrote:

[...]

Eric,  thanks for the heads-up on rust bullet.  I ~will~ find some.  I've already primed and painted  with plain Rustoleum and it turned out well.  Putting the hardware back together was not difficult at all.
Inserting the new strips of stuffing is also.pretty easy. They appear to be a bit too long and require some length-wise compression as you feed it into the slot.  I gently tapped around it using the wide end of a center punch (not the point) and then used the big nut to cinch it down into the tube.  Added the second one, did the same and then the third.

Three is definitely the number that fits when new.  No way a fourth one will go in there.

I'm not real.certainnhow tight to cinch it all.down, so it's half-way between "that ought to do.it" and "motorcycle tight".
This leaves a good portion of the nut's threads exposed; perhaps five turns worth

One item noticed with the nut up so high is that it contacted the lock nut holding the bonding wired.  The nut is bigger than the head of the bolt so push the bolt through from the bottom. Do this ~before~ you cinch the armature into position :).

Kent, do not fear!!   And, knowing what I know .. find a smallish (Honda style) car jack.  It fits under the long arm of the crank and can put upward pressure to break it free with some (5 lb sledge) light tapping (which was heard throughout the yard) :)

I've used quite a bit of anti-seize in the reassembly and I'm putting a.five-year look-see/cleaning flag on this one.

.
Now .. on to C-drive seals and bow thruster stuff!

Gary W.
SM 209, Adagio
Hot and dry in Maryland.

karkauai

Thanks Gary, I’ll do that too.

Kent

On Jun 26, 2019, at 9:31 AM, Gary Wells <gary@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi again,
im ready to order packing material for the first Tim and see that it comes in several sizes, from 1/8”-5/8” in 1/16” increments.  Which is appropriate for a SM rudder post?
Thanks,
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

I would order it from Amel. It will be the right size (metric) and come pre-cut and ready to install.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019, 2:10 AM karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi again,
im ready to order packing material for the first Tim and see that it comes in several sizes, from 1/8”-5/8” in 1/16” increments.  Which is appropriate for a SM rudder post?
Thanks,
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

karkauai

Will do, Bill.  I guess I’ll have to wait until next month, eh?

Kent Robertson
Kristy
SM 243

On Aug 4, 2019, at 8:42 AM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

I would order it from Amel. It will be the right size (metric) and come pre-cut and ready to install.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019, 2:10 AM karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi again,
im ready to order packing material for the first Tim and see that it comes in several sizes, from 1/8”-5/8” in 1/16” increments.  Which is appropriate for a SM rudder post?
Thanks,
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

Kent,

Sometimes they have minimal staff during shutdown.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 8:39 AM karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Hi Kent,

It is worth it to get it from Amel, It is precut and fits perfectly.

Order 2 sets and a spare packing nut.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

im ready to order packing material for the first Tim and see that it comes in several sizes, from 1/8”-5/8” in 1/16” increments.  Which is appropriate for a SM rudder post?
Thanks,
Kent
SM 243
Kristy