Topics

St Vincent

Courtney Gorman

So Saturday I get a new crew in St Lucia heading south. I really don’t want to abuse them with a first long sail to Bequia so does anyone have a recommendation in st Vincent? Cheers
Courtney
S/v Trippin
54 #101

Giorgio Ardrizzi

Hi Courtney, we spent in January one night in Cumberland Bay swinging at anchor and had a good time.  Unfortunately there is only one point where you can anchor at a reasonable depth (10/15 metres).  It is on the left upon entering.
The rest of the bay is too deep.  However, there are numerous buoys available (negotiate the price), or anchor and tie a cable to a palm tree.
Same situation in Wallilabu Bay.
For one night you can avoid making entry formalities to the country.
On the way back, starting from the Pitons, we had a good wind and we arrived as far as Bequia without having to stop at SV.
Enjoy.
Giorgio Ardrizzi
Saudade III
Sharki #1, now on the ground in Trinidad.

Il Ven 28 Giu 2019, 04:03 Courtney Gorman via Groups.Io <Itsfun1=aol.com@groups.io> ha scritto:

So Saturday I get a new crew in St Lucia heading south.  I really don’t want to abuse them with a first long sail to Bequia so does anyone have a recommendation in st Vincent? Cheers
Courtney
S/v Trippin
54 #101

Courtney,

I've done St Lucia to Bequia at least 10 times. Take a Parks mooring ball at the small Bay south of Soufferie Bay. A Park Ranger will collect for the mooring. Depart 0500. Sail leeward of St Vincent to Bequia, arriving late afternoon before 1800.

We took St Vincent off our list years ago because of all of the violent crimes against cruisers. You will find many people advise differently. They are in the 98% who have never been robbed or assaulted, or do not know anyone who has been affected.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019, 2:32 AM Giorgio Ardrizzi <giorgio.ardrizzi@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks sounds like I have options
Cheers

On Jun 28, 2019, at 3:32 AM, Giorgio Ardrizzi <giorgio.ardrizzi@...> wrote:

[...]

Patrick McAneny

Courtney, I also have made that same trip Bill described many times ,including this past winter. Beware a boat boat may steer you to a fisherman's mooring in close to town, not where you want to be, and charge more than what the mooring cost in the bay Bill mentioned at the foot of the pitons. The ranger will collect $30 from you, you can trust those moorings and they have painters attached.  After many time in Bequia ,we just discovered that there is one of the best snorkeling/diving spots we have ever been , just inside/at the  pole marking the point as you enter Admiralty Bay ,many trenches and lots of fish. I wish I had known about it years ago,check it out.
Enjoy,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

[...]

James Cromie

Courtney -
I just did the passage from Martinique to Bequia with my father and  mother, who has never done an open water crossing in a sail boat and she is 75.

We did an afternoon crossing from Le Marin to Rodney Bay which was a very pleasant broad reach. I never checked in to St Lucia.  We pulled anchor at 0430 and sailed a broad reach to beam reach for the 72 miles to Bequia, arriving at 1600, just shy of 12 hrs.   The Anchorage is easy.  The last stretch between St Vincent and Bequia is fast - I overtook two catamarans coming in to Bequia whole cruising at 9+ knots.

We had slightly brisker conditions than average, with winds at 25 knots and seas 5'-6', but that is more than the average.

My mother didn't seem uncomfortable at all, and she is generally rather anxious!

I opted to not stop at St Vincent due to the reported higher theft rate.  My anxious mother was happy with kept going!

Fair winds.

James
Soteria
Sm2k 347