Topics

AMEL 54 watertank compartments - access to clean

Stefan Schaufert

Dear Amel Group,

this my first topic and it seems to be a difficult one.
I want and need to clean all off the water tank compartments.
But the access specially to the
forward compartment seems to be nearly impossible.

For the aft compartment you can carefully slide the fridge forward (after loosening a few screws and the water hoses) and take it out.
But I see no solution for the forward compartment.
How is it working?

I’m asking you for your experiences. I am sure some of you cleaned the water tanks already ;-).

Thanks a lot for your help.
Best regards
Stefan
A54 / 119 / LADY CHARLYETTE

Barry Connor

Hi Stefan,
To clean the inside of that water tank you take the top cover off and put your hand inside.
Are you getting fresh water around that area? I had a leak under the sink which had fresh water in the compartments around the water tank.

Best

Barry and Penny
“SV Lady Penrlope II”
Amel 54. #17
Syracuse,   Sicily

On Jul 3, 2019, at 18:07, Stefan Schaufert <mail@...> wrote:

Dear Amel Group,

this my first topic and it seems to be a difficult one.
I want and need to clean all off the water tank compartments.
But the access specially to the
forward compartment seems to be nearly impossible.

For the aft compartment you can carefully slide the fridge forward (after loosening a few screws and the water hoses) and take it out.
But I see no solution for the forward compartment.
How is it working?

I’m asking you for your experiences. I am sure some of you cleaned the water tanks already ;-).

Thanks a lot for your help.
Best regards
Stefan
A54 / 119 / LADY CHARLYETTE

<Freezer_1.jpeg>

Stefan,

I remember my first years on BeBe. I seemed to do many things the hard way and some things the wrong way. It was a difficult and sometimes costly learning period. I am sure that everyone will join me in wishing you well with your 54.

To gain access to all 3 inspection ports on your A-54 is a very difficult task. Especially removing underseat refrigerator/freezer that I believe I see in the photo.

The three inspection ports for the 3 sections of the tank are:
Under the forward-facing refrigerator
Under the underseat refrigerator/freezer
Under the floor in the galley (shown in photo below).
image.png
If I were you, I would chemically clean/disinfect the freshwater tank via one of the ports...the easy one...the one under the floor.
1. To the freshwater water tank, add 2 liters of "household bleach" which is typically either 5.25 percent (“regular strength”) Chlorine
2. Fill the water tank with freshwater.
3. Allow the tank water with Chlorine to stand for 24-72 hours
4. Pump all of the water out of the freshwater tank using a submersible water pump through the middle inspection port.
5. Fill and pump-out 2 more times.
6. The appearance of the center patrician will mirror the other two.
image.png

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970 (If I do not have your number in My Contacts, you will go to VoiceMail. Text me in advance with your number and I'll white list it.)

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 11:16 AM Barry Connor via Groups.Io <connor_barry=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Hi Bill,
I was told to clean out the tank from the opening on top. After doing a clean with a sponge then I also have used Vodka, have about 100 liters of  water then pour in 4 liters of Vodka, let it sit for a few hours and then fill with fresh water.
Has anybody else used Vodka?

Best
Barry and Penny
“SV Lady Penelope II”
Amel 54. #17
Sicily

On Jul 3, 2019, at 19:49, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

karkauai

I tried power washing, vinegar, and  peroxide...all to no avail.

On Kristy, two liters of bleach didn’t touch it.  I used  4 gallons and left it overnight for ~15 hours...it killed everything.  Be sure you top the tanks up until the water is touching the top of the tanks to kill what ever is lurking there.

I am looking into an ozone solution to keep the tanks fresh.  I’ll report when I’ve had it installed for a while.

Kent & Iris
Kristy
SM243

On Jul 3, 2019, at 1:49 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul Brown

Yes, but only with fresh orange juice and lots of ice, I wake up and my tank remains an issue

Paul

On 3 Jul 2019, at 8:38 pm, Barry Connor via Groups.Io <connor_barry@...> wrote:

[...]

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Bill,

Woud that amount of flushing be suficient to get the chorine levels down enough to prevent damage to the water maker membranes when back flushing with tank water?. I have read that a miniscule ppm can destroy them. I know we have a carbon filter between the water tank and the watermaker pump but I dont trust it. Accordingly I have put nothing but water maker water in my tanks for many years. I removed the freezer last year and did a full top to bottom scrub of the inside of the tank.

Regards

Danny

On 04 July 2019 at 05:49 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Alcohol is a common disinfectant. The biggest issue is access to the 3 compartments in the SM and 54, especially if the SM or 54 has Salon Dining Seat Refrigeration.

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 2:38 PM Barry Connor via Groups.Io <connor_barry=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Good question Danny - would hate to loose an RO Membrane to chlorine destruction.
Points to consider:
  • Chlorine dissipates naturally over time - slower in a closed tank, though. So don't flush your water maker for a month or so after tank cleaning (just use it frequently).
  • Vitamin C or ascorbic acid neutralizes chlorine totally. Add a bunch. 2 pounds for 20 bucks.  (Maybe combine Orange Juice with the Vodka?)
  • Don't guess - get a swimming pool test kit and see how much chlorine you've got before, during and after cleaning the tank.
  • Replace your charcoal filter early and often but especially before your first back-flush after cleaning the tank.
Cheers, Craig Briggs, SN68 Sangaris

Stefan Schaufert

Thanks to all of you.
The chemical mace is usually not my favorit.
So I will try to dismantle the kitchen locker with the freezer completely.
If this is successful and discovers some secrets I will tell you.

Best regards
Stefan
A54 / 119 / Lady Charlyette

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hello,

I got the same problem.
I could imagine that dishwasher detergent might do a better job than chlorine. This dishwash detergent has chemicals that break down organic matter from the algees or bacteries living in these tanks.
Sodium Metasilicate is used by vegie Restaurants to clean their dishwashers.
I guess regular dishwash detergent will do the job too.
Its a similar job like cleaning the watermaker membranes chemically.

OLIVER

VELA NAUTICA 54 #39
Faro /Portugal

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019, 17:08 Stefan Schaufert <mail@...> wrote:

Dear Amel Group,

this my first topic and it seems to be a difficult one.
I want and need to clean all off the water tank compartments.
But the access specially to the
forward compartment seems to be nearly impossible.

For the aft compartment you can carefully slide the fridge forward (after loosening a few screws and the water hoses) and take it out.
But I see no solution for the forward compartment.
How is it working?

I’m asking you for your experiences. I am sure some of you cleaned the water tanks already ;-).

Thanks a lot for your help.
Best regards
Stefan
A54 / 119 / LADY CHARLYETTE

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

You need to flush carefully afterwards with lots of water....

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019, 10:39 Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica via Groups.Io <oliver.henrichsen=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Mark & Debbie Mueller

We cleaned the water tank on our 54 shortly after purchase.  We know Amel did not build all boats the same but I cannot believe they would make a significant change such as going from one to three tanks.  To verify open the port you show in front of the galley refrigerator and get rough dimensions on the tank, convert to cubic feet, then to gallons - 1 cu ft equals 7.48 gallons.  The tank extends forward and aft under the chest refrig/freezer & galley refrig.  We have one tank on this boat.  Removing the under seat freezer would be difficult (understatement).
--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

The SM & 54 have 2 partitions inside the freshwater tank and 3 inspection ports. The partitions do not go all the way to the bottom of the tank allowing water to flow throughout the entire tank.

The inspection ports in a SM or 54 are located:
1.) Under the forward facing galley door opening fridge.
2.) Under the galley floor.
3.) Under the forward facing salon table seat, under the fridge/freezer, which is likely under this seat. This fridge/freezer is very difficult to remove.

By far the easiest to gain access to is #2 above.

It is NOT necessary to remove the top opening fridge/freezer in a 54, or the clothes washer in a SM because there is no access port below these.

For all of the reasons above a chemical sterilization of the freshwater tank through port #2 above is my recommend choice.

I will note that your Amel Manual recommends chlorine for this purpose, however doesn't offer much detail. I suggest that you refer to the instructions I posted earlier regarding chlorine concentration, length of time, and tank rinsing. If you feel that your tank requires more chlorine, I suggest that you double the chlorine quantity I specified and add 1 more rinse.

Hope this helps.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019, 7:55 AM Mark & Debbie Mueller <brass.ring@...> wrote:
We cleaned the water tank on our 54 shortly after purchase.  We know Amel did not build all boats the same but I cannot believe they would make a significant change such as going from one to three tanks.  To verify open the port you show in front of the galley refrigerator and get rough dimensions on the tank, convert to cubic feet, then to gallons - 1 cu ft equals 7.48 gallons.  The tank extends forward and aft under the chest refrig/freezer & galley refrig.  We have one tank on this boat.  Removing the under seat freezer would be difficult (understatement).
--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Gary Wells

I've had pretty good luck so far doing an alternating system of bleach and Star right purifier.
Since we travel.quite frequently and use the watermaker fairly regularly the water in the tank stays pretty clean and we'll agitatted.
.
I've chosen a plain household bleach and add about 16-20 ounces (500ml) when the tank is 3/4 filled then fill the rest of the way.

This solution is not strong enough to harm things but will prevent growth.
I do not back-flush the watermaker with this tank .. even if it means using the watermaker without a flush for a few days.
We try to use this tank quickly; laundry really helps :) ..  when the tank is low, a freshwater refill is made and we can again flush the watermaker (as a side note, the Dow membranes have a stated ppm rejection/tolerance number started in the literature .. and while I don't remember it offhand, I do remember it being more than I expected.).
The next refill will have two teaspoons of the Starbright water purifier (diluted with 20 oz of warm water) added to the tank when about 3/4 full.

Then, we are set for a month or two of regular use and dock-water fills.

I will (perhaps brazenly) say that all growth need not be fretted about. If the water is regularly treated then the growth will gradually go away.
I do use a test kit available for hot tubs/pools to test ph and chlorine after treatments as well as a TDS meter ($16 on Amazon) to make sure nothing is getting out ofnhand. (some  ockdwater has been extremely "hard" and tests badly so we try to avoid it .. calcium in the shower head and all that...)

So far, so good :).

Gary W.
SM 209 Adagio
Maryland, USA .. waiting on new sails :)

greg greg

Stefan Schaufert

Dear Oliver,

thx.
That seems to be a good idea too.
Maybe I prefer this when I have to struggle with the freezer (locker) more then 2 or 3 hours.
This will be my work for the weekend :-).

Best regards
Stefan
A54 / 119 / LADY CHARLYETTE / La Rochelle

Alan Leslie

Stefan Schaufert

No news so far.
But Olivier told me, there are 4 (not 3) compartments, means 4 accesses.
Good to know and not motivating :-).

Best regards
Stefan
A54 / 119 / LADY CHARLYETTE / La Rochelle

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Dear Amel Group, hi Stefan

After having a wonderful season we are now cleaning and make WASABI ready for the winter.

I have followed the tread about cleaning the water tank compartments last summer and I’m curious if you where successful opening all the 4 compartment access.

Olivier is right there are 4 access points on the AMEL-54. From aft to bow: 1. Under the Galley door opening Fridge 2. Under the Galley floor 3. Under the Galley top load Freezer 4. Under the Salon Seat (2nd Freezer).

The 2 in the aft (Fridge and Galley floor) are easy to access, but the other 2 are nearly impossible unless dismantle the Galley-Freezer/Saloon seating completely.

Therefore I’m searching for the best way of cleaning without using Chlorine. I tried to get Aquasafe from Microlene which Alan Leslie recommended but I can’t get it in Europe.  https://www.microlene.com.au/products/acquasafe-liquid-disinfectant

Any more experience with cleaning and disinfection? Maybe there are more options?

Thanks and best regards

Ruedi

SY WASABI

AMEL-54 #55 / Marina di Ragusa