Topics

New Wheel Leather

Thomas Peacock
 

After several years of appearing “fashionably distressed”, our original wheel leather now just looks distressed. Does anyone have any tips for replacing this? Where might I get leather that would fit, or be fitted? Any shared experiences would be much valued. 
Tom Peacock
SM Aletes 240
Off Cape May, New Jersey USA

Mark Erdos
 

Thomas,

 

Loco Lola II did a very nice job using leather paint and reconditioned their wheel cover. Or: https://youtu.be/rnf1EaOZsik

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Thomas Peacock
Sent: Friday, July 5, 2019 1:39 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] New Wheel Leather

 

After several years of appearing “fashionably distressed”, our original wheel leather now just looks distressed. Does anyone have any tips for replacing this? Where might I get leather that would fit, or be fitted? Any shared experiences would be much valued. 
Tom Peacock
SM Aletes 240
Off Cape May, New Jersey USA

Alan Leslie
 

Hi Tom
We replaced ours with a kit from these guys
http://boatleather.com/product/boatleather-wheel-covers/
You just need to measure your wheel as they show and order whatever colour you want.
The kit comes with everything you need and instructions to sew it on.
It is a slow job believe me, but worth it in the end.
Good luck.
Alan
Elyse SM437

 

Boat Leather is a Preferred Yacht School vendor and they have measurements for SM and 54. Contact Tom Armantrout at Tom"at"BoatLeather.com or 1-206-284-9110
image.png
Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970 (If I do not have your number in My Contacts, you will go to VoiceMail. Text me in advance with your number and I'll white list it.)



On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 6:26 PM Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:
Hi Tom
We replaced ours with a kit from these guys
http://boatleather.com/product/boatleather-wheel-covers/
You just need to measure your wheel as they show and order whatever colour you want.
The kit comes with everything you need and instructions to sew it on.
It is a slow job believe me, but worth it in the end.
Good luck.
Alan
Elyse SM437

Porter McRoberts
 

There is a leather upholstery gentleman near vista mar in Panama. He does surprisingly good work at a very reasonable price. We got steering wheel and new seat etc for 200us. 

After that then dinghy cover, winch covers etc. 

Arnulfo 

+507 6008 0629


Porter
S/V Ibis A54-152
Moorea

Excuse the errors.  
Sent from my IPhone 

On Jul 5, 2019, at 1:38 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Boat Leather is a Preferred Yacht School vendor and they have measurements for SM and 54. Contact Tom Armantrout at Tom"at"BoatLeather.com or 1-206-284-9110
<image.png>
Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970 (If I do not have your number in My Contacts, you will go to VoiceMail. Text me in advance with your number and I'll white list it.)



On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 6:26 PM Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:
Hi Tom
We replaced ours with a kit from these guys
http://boatleather.com/product/boatleather-wheel-covers/
You just need to measure your wheel as they show and order whatever colour you want.
The kit comes with everything you need and instructions to sew it on.
It is a slow job believe me, but worth it in the end.
Good luck.
Alan
Elyse SM437

Annsofie & Jonas Svanberg
 

This is how we did on Lady Annila.

This one is to mark ”0”

And this is the other two


Regards
Ann-Sofie
on S/Y Lady Annila, SM 232, 1998


Skickat från min iPhone

Craig & Katherine Briggs
 

We got our replacement from Amel - it even included the leather cover for the wheel hub with a gold embossed "H.Amel" signature on it that was the original design for the SN.
Craig Briggs, SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL 

Thomas Peacock
 

Thanks to all for your suggestions for wheel enhancements. I’m torn between ordering a leather kit from boat leather, versus proceeding along the lines of Annsofie’s decorative braiding. Annsofie, how long have you had it? Does it hold up well?
We did a similar project on our companionway handrail. 
Thanks as always
Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes
New York Harbor

image1.jpeg

On Jul 5, 2019, at 10:11 PM, Annsofie & Jonas Svanberg <ann-sofie@...> wrote:

This is how we did on Lady Annila.

This one is to mark ”0”

And this is the other two


Regards
Ann-Sofie
on S/Y Lady Annila, SM 232, 1998


Skickat från min iPhone



<image1.jpeg>
<image2.jpeg>

Annsofie & Jonas Svanberg
 

We did it 2014 in the Carabbien and it still looks as new. Our first attempt was with a withe rope, that was not a good idea, changed very fast to this black one.

image1.jpeg
This is taken today.

Hälsningar
Ann-Sofie Svanberg


Skickat från min iPhone

6 juli 2019 kl. 19:58 skrev Thomas Peacock <peacock8491@...>:

Thanks to all for your suggestions for wheel enhancements. I’m torn between ordering a leather kit from boat leather, versus proceeding along the lines of Annsofie’s decorative braiding. Annsofie, how long have you had it? Does it hold up well?
We did a similar project on our companionway handrail. 
Thanks as always
Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes
New York Harbor

<image1.jpeg>

On Jul 5, 2019, at 10:11 PM, Annsofie & Jonas Svanberg <ann-sofie@...> wrote:

This is how we did on Lady Annila.

This one is to mark ”0”

And this is the other two


Regards
Ann-Sofie
on S/Y Lady Annila, SM 232, 1998


Skickat från min iPhone



<image1.jpeg>
<image2.jpeg>

Steve Bode
 

I think Michelle did a really nice job on our helm...

--
Steve Bode
Capt. SV Intention
Amel SM #117 (1994)
+1 415 710-6659 Mobile/Text/WhatsApp
facebook.com/stevebodesanfrancisco
svintention.com

Steve Bode
 

Wait, here's a better shot.


--
Steve Bode
Capt. SV Intention
Amel SM #117 (1994)
+1 415 710-6659 Mobile/Text/WhatsApp
facebook.com/stevebodesanfrancisco
svintention.com

Mark Erdos
 

That’s beautiful! How hard is it to do?

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Galapagos

www.creampuff.us

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve Bode
Sent: Saturday, February 8, 2020 4:34 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] New Wheel Leather

 

I think Michelle did a really nice job on our helm...

--
Steve Bode
Capt. SV Intention
Amel SM #117 (1994)
+1 415 710-6659 Mobile/Text/WhatsApp
facebook.com/stevebodesanfrancisco
svintention.com

karkauai
 

We want to wrap our wheel and companionway handrail, too.  That's the nicest one I have seen yet!  Does that braid have a name?  Instructions on how to do it?

Michelle, you are hired!

Thanks

Kent and Iris
SM 243
Kristy
Bahamas, heading South

On Feb 8, 2020 3:33 AM, Steve Bode <Whatsup@...> wrote:
I think Michelle did a really nice job on our helm...

--
Steve Bode
Capt. SV Intention
Amel SM #117 (1994)
+1 415 710-6659 Mobile/Text/WhatsApp
facebook.com/stevebodesanfrancisco
svintention.com

Annsofie & Jonas Svanberg
 

Here is how we did on Lady Annila.



Regards
Ann-Sofie on S/Y Lady Annila, SM232, 1998


Skickat från min iPhone

10 feb. 2020 kl. 14:37 skrev karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai@...>:


We want to wrap our wheel and companionway handrail, too.  That's the nicest one I have seen yet!  Does that braid have a name?  Instructions on how to do it?

Michelle, you are hired!

Thanks

Kent and Iris
SM 243
Kristy
Bahamas, heading South

On Feb 8, 2020 3:33 AM, Steve Bode <Whatsup@...> wrote:
I think Michelle did a really nice job on our helm...

--
Steve Bode
Capt. SV Intention
Amel SM #117 (1994)
+1 415 710-6659 Mobile/Text/WhatsApp
facebook.com/stevebodesanfrancisco
svintention.com