Topics

owner of SY Phantom

Alexander Ramseyer

Hi,
Yesterday I saw SY Phantom in Jabin's  Yacht Yard in Annapolis. If the owner is on this forum or if someone knows him, I would like to get in touch and discuss his experience with the watt&sea generator that the boat has installed.
Fair winds,
Alex Ramseyer 
SY NO STRESS
AMEL54#15

Alan Grayson

Hi Alex, I have just arrived at Jabin. Have you got hold of the owner? If not I’ll go to the office and try and get their details. I have a SM and am also interested in the watt and sea.
Regards
Alan Grayson
SV Ora Pai SM 406

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Alex Ramseyer <alexramseyer@...>
Sent: Friday, July 5, 2019 4:38:42 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] owner of SY Phantom

Hi,
Yesterday I saw SY Phantom in Jabin's  Yacht Yard in Annapolis. If the owner is on this forum or if someone knows him, I would like to get in touch and discuss his experience with the watt&sea generator that the boat has installed.
Fair winds,
Alex Ramseyer 
SY NO STRESS
AMEL54#15

Matt Salatino

Not to be negative, but ask specifically about fouling from sargasso weed. 

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Jul 10, 2019, at 12:43 PM, Alan Grayson <bazgrayson@...> wrote:

Hi Alex, I have just arrived at Jabin. Have you got hold of the owner? If not I’ll go to the office and try and get their details. I have a SM and am also interested in the watt and sea.
Regards
Alan Grayson
SV Ora Pai SM 406

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Alex Ramseyer <alexramseyer@...>
Sent: Friday, July 5, 2019 4:38:42 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] owner of SY Phantom

Hi,
Fair winds,
Alex Ramseyer 
SY NO STRESS
AMEL54#15

Paul Osterberg

We have a Swetec hydrogenerator. Would not buy one again, very limited use. Only use it when sailing long distance about 300 nm or more. In Caribbean one has to continously clear it from see weed. When not in use one has to store it some where. We have 750 W of solar panels and only need to run the generator 45 minutes a day on passage. When at anchor only when we make water och washing. So we use the generator very little just to keep it in chape.
Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259 Horta 

Arno Luijten

Hi Paul,

Can you make a picture to show how it is attached to the boat. How much Amp does it provide? Do you notice a speed difference?

Kind regards,

Arno Luijten

Paul Osterberg

I  might be totally wrong in the below description, then enlighten me about charging, but both Swi-Tec and Watt & Sea, are programmed to charge batteries and not to feed the boats consumption, which has the strange consequence, that even when you consume a lot of power during sailing the hydro-generator only produce so much current as the batteries would take even if you where not consuming any energy. Don't ask me how it works but I talked with an owner of a Watt &Sea and he explained the issue for me but I can't repet the info, He was in contact with Watt & Sea who confirmed, they gave him info so he could reprogram his regulator, (out of my competence).

Both his experience and mine is they do not give as much as expected, when looking at the amp meter the current varies a lot jumping often between 5-8 Amps at speed around 6-7 knots  but seldom above 10 amps even at speed exceeding 8 kn.

Speed reductions is negligible.
but not the issue of cleaning the propeller from sea weed

Mounting; as I have a stern platform it was rather straight forward but do not see that it should be more difficult without the platform, I attache a few photos om my installation.
If someone is interested I would consider selling our Swi-Tec hydro-generator,, used less than 14 days

Joerg Esdorn

I have a W@S on my 55.  I use it for longer distances - overnight trips.  I find that together with wind generator and 400 W solar, the hydro covers all or almost all consumption with 2 fridges and a freezer and the autopilot running all the time.   I sometimes have to turn it off because the batteries are full. I have not re-programmed the regulator.  I have tried different size props and interestingly the smaller one seems to produce more current.  The one downside I have seen is that it needs to be on the leeward side except in very light reaching conditions.  Otherwise it will come out of the water.  So on the 55 you really need two because switching sides at sea is not possible.  

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222

Hello Paul 

is it not always so that always only the batteries are charged and all consumers are supplied via the battery ? 

I think it is also not possible otherwise, since the generator must switch off yes when the batteries are full. 

I also find the power of 5-7 A at 24 volt not so bad. 

have you tried to change the slope of the propeller, this is possible. 

yes I would be interested in a Swi Tec 

where is your location , what is your price and how about transport? 

Greeting Elja 

SM Balu 223

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 12.07.2019 um 00:45 schrieb Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...>:

I  might be totally wrong in the below description, then enlighten me about charging, but both Swi-Tec and Watt & Sea, are programmed to charge batteries and not to feed the boats consumption, which has the strange consequence, that even when you consume a lot of power during sailing the hydro-generator only produce so much current as the batteries would take even if you where not consuming any energy. Don't ask me how it works but I talked with an owner of a Watt &Sea and he explained the issue for me but I can't repet the info, He was in contact with Watt & Sea who confirmed, they gave him info so he could reprogram his regulator, (out of my competence).

Both his experience and mine is they do not give as much as expected, when looking at the amp meter the current varies a lot jumping often between 5-8 Amps at speed around 6-7 knots  but seldom above 10 amps even at speed exceeding 8 kn.

Speed reductions is negligible.
but not the issue of cleaning the propeller from sea weed

Mounting; as I have a stern platform it was rather straight forward but do not see that it should be more difficult without the platform, I attache a few photos om my installation.
If someone is interested I would consider selling our Swi-Tec hydro-generator,, used less than 14 days
<HG 2.jpg>
<Hydro generator.jpg>