Topics

Spinnaker Pole Strut Support

Roger Wilson

On my Sharki 127 I have the usual stainless tubing support for the strut for the spinnaker pole. The support has a clamp assembly (6 fasteners) on the cap shroud and hides a 120mm length of wire.  The spport crimps onto the lowers with just one fastener.
I am curious if an owner has experienced a corrosion problem on the cap shroud where it it hidden within the support clamp assembly.  This is a place to collect dirt and must be disassembled for inspection.

smiles bernard

Hi there

Apparently Amel call these stainless sections ‘boomerangs’ for obvious shape based reasons.
I had crevice corrosion in all 6 shrouds on the main mast - where they passed through these boomerangs which prompted a complete replacement of all our standing rigging in Martenique this year.

I would recommend all to have a look at there shrouds at this location.

It’s a 5 min job to loosen the shroud clamps and move the boomerang up for a peek.

Interestingly on my Maramu the shrouds had plastic around them at the point of passing through the boomerang clamps. I’ve since noticed that all the SMs I’ve seen since don’t have this plastic sheathing. The boomerangs just attach directly to the wire shrouds. Perhaps this causes less problems.

I for one will be washing / moving the boomerangs frequently. I might even take them off if the boat is stationary for a while as it’s a quick job.

Interested to hear others experience

All the best

Miles
Maramu 162
Plymouth uk

On 5 Jul 2019, at 23:53, sailhanoah@... wrote:

On my Sharki 127 I have the usual stainless tubing support for the strut for the spinnaker pole. The support has a clamp assembly (6 fasteners) on the cap shroud and hides a 120mm length of wire.  The spport crimps onto the lowers with just one fastener.
I am curious if an owner has experienced a corrosion problem on the cap shroud where it it hidden within the support clamp assembly.  This is a place to collect dirt and must be disassembled for inspection.

Ian Park

Miles,
On my previous boat (not an Amel) I got rid of the plastic shroud covers because they collected and held rainwater. All the wire underneath the plastic had rust marks on it.
I have moved my boomerangs and there was no real sign of corrosion. But our Santorin had no plastic covers, just clamped straight to the shrouds.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96

What I have seen happen is that salt accumulates where the stainless steel tubing is crimped and folded over the shrouds and held in place with a bolt.

This is an important area to rinse with freshwater after each sailing and weekly if in harbour. Salt that has accumulated on the entire length of the shroud will run down the shroud and accumulate at this point. Freshwater rinsing solves the issue.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 3:37 PM Ian <parkianj@...> wrote:
Miles,
On my previous boat (not an Amel) I got rid of the plastic shroud covers because they collected and held rainwater. All the wire underneath the plastic had rust marks on it.
I have moved my boomerangs and there was no real sign of corrosion. But our Santorin had no plastic covers, just clamped straight to the shrouds.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Bill, I have never done that freshwater rinse and have not had the problem, I wondered why and then realised rain does quite a good job. Perhaps where I am and have been has more regular rainfall.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 24 July 2019 at 02:35 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

The issue is light rain or humid mornings will cause the salt to run down the shroud. Heavy rain will rinse everything very good.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550