Bow Thruster lip seal

Duane Siegfri

The large lip seal that is glued in from inside and seals the thruster vertical shaft is marked "SOG 60 80 12".  The one I had in my spares has rusted along the outer ring where the plastic has gaps on the inside diameter.  I assume this is no longer useable, and I'm surprised it rusted in a zip lock bag!  what would have happened to it exposed to salt water?  I want to source this in the USA when I'm back.  Can someone direct me to the proper type?  I assume the metal needs to be stainless...

Thanks,
Duane
Wanderer, SM#477

Mark McGovern

Duane,

I purchased my 60x80x12 oil seal for the bowthruster tunnel here:  https://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=7ad56cfd50cade74b1beb97a630c80db&keyword=60X80X12TC

However, the spring is made from zinc-plated carbon steel, not stainless steel as I could not find a metric seal of that size with a stainless steel garter spring.  However, since you grease the seal when you install it with a waterproof grease like Super Lube or Molykote 111, I don't think that it will be an issue.  I guess I will find out in ~2 years when I do my next bowthruster service.  Or perhaps sooner if the springs rusts out and causes the seal to fail!

By the way, https://www.theoringstore.com is also a great site to find hard to find metric o-rings.  They have a huge selection of them in stock.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

Craig Briggs

Edited

Duane,
SOG is the manufacturer (SO Giant Oil Seal Co, Taiwan - a major supplier) and I'd guess whoever got that spare erred in getting one without a totally embedded metal insert.
SKF is another major manufacturer and you might try their HMS5 RG style that is nitrile covered with a single lip. Need to specify stainless steel garter spring. Try Florida Bearings or Miller Bearing near Ft Lauderdale. SOG also has a totally covered style. These are commodity items with many manufacturers. Mrs. Google will help.
Cheers, Craig
PS They also have a style with the garter spring encased.

Duane Siegfri

Thanks Craig!

Duane