Topics

Bow Thruster lip seal

Duane Siegfri

The large lip seal that is glued in from inside and seals the thruster vertical shaft is marked "SOG 60 80 12".  The one I had in my spares has rusted along the outer ring where the plastic has gaps on the inside diameter.  I assume this is no longer useable, and I'm surprised it rusted in a zip lock bag!  what would have happened to it exposed to salt water?  I want to source this in the USA when I'm back.  Can someone direct me to the proper type?  I assume the metal needs to be stainless...

Thanks,
Duane
Wanderer, SM#477

Mark McGovern

Duane,

I purchased my 60x80x12 oil seal for the bowthruster tunnel here:  https://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=7ad56cfd50cade74b1beb97a630c80db&keyword=60X80X12TC

However, the spring is made from zinc-plated carbon steel, not stainless steel as I could not find a metric seal of that size with a stainless steel garter spring.  However, since you grease the seal when you install it with a waterproof grease like Super Lube or Molykote 111, I don't think that it will be an issue.  I guess I will find out in ~2 years when I do my next bowthruster service.  Or perhaps sooner if the springs rusts out and causes the seal to fail!

By the way, https://www.theoringstore.com is also a great site to find hard to find metric o-rings.  They have a huge selection of them in stock.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

Craig Briggs

Edited

Duane,
SOG is the manufacturer (SO Giant Oil Seal Co, Taiwan - a major supplier) and I'd guess whoever got that spare erred in getting one without a totally embedded metal insert.
SKF is another major manufacturer and you might try their HMS5 RG style that is nitrile covered with a single lip. Need to specify stainless steel garter spring. Try Florida Bearings or Miller Bearing near Ft Lauderdale. SOG also has a totally covered style. These are commodity items with many manufacturers. Mrs. Google will help.
Cheers, Craig
PS They also have a style with the garter spring encased.

Duane Siegfri

Thanks Craig!

Duane