Hoping to tour an Amel Santorin in USA


Will Marks
 

Hey all, I am hoping that someone in this group would be so kind as to give us a tour of their US-based Santorin.

My wife and I are on the hunt for our next cruising boat to take on an open-ended world voyage starting 2020 and the Santorin appears to check all the boxes. We're moving up from a CS 36 Merlin that we spent a year cruising in the Caribbean and Bahamas. We're pretty well sold on the Santorin's basic design and construction, but it's been years since I've been on an SN (and never for her) so we would like to get on board one to confirm our feelings before we engage a broker and begin searching far and wide. 

We are currently land-bound in Chicago, so we'll gladly make a weekend trip out to anywhere on the US East or West coast. Please let me know if you'd be willing give us a tour.

Alternatively, if you happen to know of an SN for sale in the US (none currently listed on yachtworld), that would be great info.

All the best,
Will

William.L.Marks@...
312.203.4091


Mark McGovern
 

Will, 

Welcome to the group. There is a Santorin for sale in Martinique. I know it's not the US, but its a fairly easy trip from the US and it's listed at a fantastic price.  Here is a link from the listing on the Amel For Sale subgroup of this forum: 

https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/yachtforsale/message/16

My wife and I loved your YouTube channel, btw.  Say hi to Cat.

Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA


Mark McGovern
 

Will,

It looks as if that Santorin in Martinique is actually sold.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA


Germain Jean-Pierre
 

Hello William,

First step is to look at Yachtworld.com and find the listed Santorins.  I found 8… all in the Med.  One of them caught my eye, the one listed with Michel Charpentier; he is almost exclusively an AMEL broker and is top notch. 

There is also 1 sloop rigged Santorin in the list…. FWIW, I would prefer a ketch rig as the sloop does not have “balanced” proportions IMO of course.

GL with the search.

Jean-Pierre Germain, SY Eleuthera,
Amel SM 007, Suva Fiji

On 11 Jul 2019, at 09:03, Will Marks <William.L.Marks@...> wrote:

Hey all, I am hoping that someone in this group would be so kind as to give us a tour of their US-based Santorin.

My wife and I are on the hunt for our next cruising boat to take on an open-ended world voyage starting 2020 and the Santorin appears to check all the boxes. We're moving up from a CS 36 Merlin that we spent a year cruising in the Caribbean and Bahamas. We're pretty well sold on the Santorin's basic design and construction, but it's been years since I've been on an SN (and never for her) so we would like to get on board one to confirm our feelings before we engage a broker and begin searching far and wide. 

We are currently land-bound in Chicago, so we'll gladly make a weekend trip out to anywhere on the US East or West coast. Please let me know if you'd be willing give us a tour.

Alternatively, if you happen to know of an SN for sale in the US (none currently listed on yachtworld), that would be great info.

All the best,
Will

William.L.Marks@...
312.203.4091


Will Marks
 

Hi Jean-Pierre,
I'm tracking the 8 you found on Yachtworld. The concentration of them in the Med is a big part of the impetus for why I want to view one in the US. We are open to the possibility of buying in Europe next year, but we would want to be 100% confident that a Santorin is the right boat for us before embarking on such a long distance search.

-Will


Ian Park
 

Will,
I think you will find that every Santorin owner on the owners site will say it is the right boat for them. For us it’s been perfect.
One question though is what height are you? At 5’10” the aft double berth is just right if I was much over 6’ it would be a bit short. The forward bunks are fine, but not much good on s heavy sea.
I didn’t want a Super Maramu because they cost a lot more, I didn’t need the extra length and I was worried about the extra things to service/look after / like air con, washing machine, generator etc.
But I wouldn’t say no to one now.
Agree with the comment about the ketch rig. It’s great.
Any specific questions you have will be answered by a number of owners cruising oceans and living aboard.
Good luck.

Ian
Ocean Hobo. SN96


Brent Cameron
 

Sometimes I really wish this forum had a way of indicating a huge thumbs up for a particular post!  What a great little nugget of information on the differences between models.  I have been trying to come up with a list of differences between the different models and think that I have them pretty well sussed out when someone like Ian posts this little gem and reminds me how much more there is to learn!    

Decisions, decisions...
--
Brent Cameron

Future Amel Owner & Amel Owner Registry Moderator

Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada


Will Marks
 

Hey Ian,
Thanks for the heads up about the aft berth. At 6'1" it may be a little tight, but I can't imagine ruling out the boat over that unless it totally egregious and I have to sleep in the fetal position. A very generous forum member has already emailed me with an offer to let us visit their boat in Florida, so will hopefully get a chance to find out for myself very soon.

The only Santorin that I have ever stepped aboard, circa 2009 in Carriacou, was owned by a rather tall German couple. I believe the boat was named Cayenne. Unless I am totally mis-remembering the gentleman's stature, it would suggest that they found a way to make it work.

A much appreciated tip, either way.

-Will


David Wallace
 

The owners of Cayenne, Hannes and Sabine (from Austria) are both tall and I don't ever remember hearing them complain about the aft cabin headroom. Their boat is now in Australia and they are home in Austria for a time. I'll ask them to get in touch with you.


On Jul 11, 2019, at 9:29 AM, Will Marks <William.L.Marks@...> wrote:

Hey Ian,
Thanks for the heads up about the aft berth. At 6'1" it may be a little tight, but I can't imagine ruling out the boat over that unless it totally egregious and I have to sleep in the fetal position. A very generous forum member has already emailed me with an offer to let us visit their boat in Florida, so will hopefully get a chance to find out for myself very soon.

The only Santorin that I have ever stepped aboard, circa 2009 in Carriacou, was owned by a rather tall German couple. I believe the boat was named Cayenne. Unless I am totally mis-remembering the gentleman's stature, it would suggest that they found a way to make it work.

A much appreciated tip, either way.

-Will


Craig Briggs
 

Will, 
I don't remember all the details but some years ago we met another Santorin owner in the Med who had extended the aft berth with a "foot-well" into the aft locker area. I recall he was a cabinet maker and it was a good looking "Amel-like" job that did not seem to compromise anything structural and retained the water-tight aft lazarette, albeit making that a bit smaller.

We modified ours at one point with a filler piece of plywood and a couple of supports that gave us athwartship sleeping.  That gave a very long berth that was comfy in a roll. I had engineered it to be changeable at will so now we have three possible layouts: 1. Two separate berths; 2. one single to starboard and a double to port; and 3. an extra long, extra wide athwartship "king" size berth.

Lotsa ways to skin a cat.  

Cheers,
Craig Briggs SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL


Scott Brown
 

Hi Will,

I’ve spent a couple of nights sleeping in the aft cabin of a Maramu, I’m 6 feet tall and found it quite comfortable. I’m assuming the Santorin dimensions are comparable but hopefully someone can verify this?

I’ve also heard of a few owners who have customised the aft cabin layout to incorporate a larger bed, so I’m sure there are ways to squeeze in taller owners :o)

Have you considered a Maramu? There are more on the market and they will often be lower in price than Santorin’s.

Aesthetically I prefer the sugar scoop rear of the Santorin but beyond this I think they are quite similar - anyone care to chime in with any other major differences between the two models?

Not sure if you have looked around a Super Maramu? If your budget can stretch, the additional space will be most welcome if you plan to have guests on board on a regular basis. If you plan to sail solo or as a couple, then the Santorin, Maramu or even the Sharki would be perfect. 

Good luck with your search.

Best wishes,

Scott



On 11 Jul 2019, at 17:29, Will Marks <William.L.Marks@...> wrote:

Hey Ian,
Thanks for the heads up about the aft berth. At 6'1" it may be a little tight, but I can't imagine ruling out the boat over that unless it totally egregious and I have to sleep in the fetal position. A very generous forum member has already emailed me with an offer to let us visit their boat in Florida, so will hopefully get a chance to find out for myself very soon.

The only Santorin that I have ever stepped aboard, circa 2009 in Carriacou, was owned by a rather tall German couple. I believe the boat was named Cayenne. Unless I am totally mis-remembering the gentleman's stature, it would suggest that they found a way to make it work.

A much appreciated tip, either way.

-Will


david bruce
 

Hi Will,  

We have a Santorin sloop, purchased in southern France, early model, SN006, but w an incredible investment by the former owner in the 3 yrs prior to our purchase, equal to cost of boat actually.  Having only coastal cruised so far we are really happy with the openness and simplicity of the sloop, but I can appreciate the comments regarding the balance of the rig, and I am adding a staysail stay to increase sail handling options, which would not be necessary with the ketch rig. (although several listed do have this modification i note). 

Regarding the aft berth, at 5’11” I do sleep a bit kitty cornered since I tend to have my arms under the pillow, which makes it a bit tight, if not for this it would be fine.  

Regarding purchasing in the Med, I would caution you of the logistical and financial implications of equipping the boat for your plans for long distance passage making, as very few boats in the Med are equipped as such.  We are faced with this, and the challenges include the exchange rate, the VAT, the language barriers, as well as varying levels of work ethic, shall we say,

  We are part time cruising at present and having work done in absentia is frought with potential hazards and expenses.  I am deciding where to have the bigger ticket items such as arch and solar array, install of SSB, auxiliary form of self steering, water maker done.  At present we are considering Turkey, but given the challenges we’ve had with even relatively minor type issues i am approaching all this with some trepidation.  

We do love the boat, it’s manageable, stable, comfortable, and safe. I do agree with Ian, that it’s a bit simpler than the SM, less expensive to buy and own, but a washing machine and stand up walk through to the aft cabin do have a certain appeal……. 

Good luck, I think you are making a great choice and if you have any questions feel free to contact me directly. 

Best regards,  Dave Bruce,  sv Liesse,  SN006




On Jul 11, 2019, at 2:40 PM, Scott Brown <sbrown@...> wrote:

Hi Will,

I’ve spent a couple of nights sleeping in the aft cabin of a Maramu, I’m 6 feet tall and found it quite comfortable. I’m assuming the Santorin dimensions are comparable but hopefully someone can verify this?

I’ve also heard of a few owners who have customised the aft cabin layout to incorporate a larger bed, so I’m sure there are ways to squeeze in taller owners :o)

Have you considered a Maramu? There are more on the market and they will often be lower in price than Santorin’s.

Aesthetically I prefer the sugar scoop rear of the Santorin but beyond this I think they are quite similar - anyone care to chime in with any other major differences between the two models?

Not sure if you have looked around a Super Maramu? If your budget can stretch, the additional space will be most welcome if you plan to have guests on board on a regular basis. If you plan to sail solo or as a couple, then the Santorin, Maramu or even the Sharki would be perfect. 

Good luck with your search.

Best wishes,

Scott



On 11 Jul 2019, at 17:29, Will Marks <William.L.Marks@...> wrote:

Hey Ian,
Thanks for the heads up about the aft berth. At 6'1" it may be a little tight, but I can't imagine ruling out the boat over that unless it totally egregious and I have to sleep in the fetal position. A very generous forum member has already emailed me with an offer to let us visit their boat in Florida, so will hopefully get a chance to find out for myself very soon.

The only Santorin that I have ever stepped aboard, circa 2009 in Carriacou, was owned by a rather tall German couple. I believe the boat was named Cayenne. Unless I am totally mis-remembering the gentleman's stature, it would suggest that they found a way to make it work. 

A much appreciated tip, either way.

-Will



Germain Jean-Pierre
 

Hello Will,

I have an SM fully refurbished by some inept Euro places.  However, I found one place where the work, engineering and ethics is fantastic.

It is yacht concept Mallorca.  Peter Kuklok is Geman and trained to a Degree in marine engineering.  He is now a friend and recommend you contact him or at least look at his website. Many other Amel owners have gone to him and everyone is satisfied.

Good luck

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera, Suva, Fiji

On 12 Jul 2019, at 16:59, davidcbruce57@... wrote:

Hi Will,  

We have a Santorin sloop, purchased in southern France, early model, SN006, but w an incredible investment by the former owner in the 3 yrs prior to our purchase, equal to cost of boat actually.  Having only coastal cruised so far we are really happy with the openness and simplicity of the sloop, but I can appreciate the comments regarding the balance of the rig, and I am adding a staysail stay to increase sail handling options, which would not be necessary with the ketch rig. (although several listed do have this modification i note). 

Regarding the aft berth, at 5’11” I do sleep a bit kitty cornered since I tend to have my arms under the pillow, which makes it a bit tight, if not for this it would be fine.  

Regarding purchasing in the Med, I would caution you of the logistical and financial implications of equipping the boat for your plans for long distance passage making, as very few boats in the Med are equipped as such.  We are faced with this, and the challenges include the exchange rate, the VAT, the language barriers, as well as varying levels of work ethic, shall we say,

  We are part time cruising at present and having work done in absentia is frought with potential hazards and expenses.  I am deciding where to have the bigger ticket items such as arch and solar array, install of SSB, auxiliary form of self steering, water maker done.  At present we are considering Turkey, but given the challenges we’ve had with even relatively minor type issues i am approaching all this with some trepidation.  

We do love the boat, it’s manageable, stable, comfortable, and safe. I do agree with Ian, that it’s a bit simpler than the SM, less expensive to buy and own, but a washing machine and stand up walk through to the aft cabin do have a certain appeal……. 

Good luck, I think you are making a great choice and if you have any questions feel free to contact me directly. 

Best regards,  Dave Bruce,  sv Liesse,  SN006




On Jul 11, 2019, at 2:40 PM, Scott Brown <sbrown@...> wrote:

Hi Will,

I’ve spent a couple of nights sleeping in the aft cabin of a Maramu, I’m 6 feet tall and found it quite comfortable. I’m assuming the Santorin dimensions are comparable but hopefully someone can verify this?

I’ve also heard of a few owners who have customised the aft cabin layout to incorporate a larger bed, so I’m sure there are ways to squeeze in taller owners :o)

Have you considered a Maramu? There are more on the market and they will often be lower in price than Santorin’s.

Aesthetically I prefer the sugar scoop rear of the Santorin but beyond this I think they are quite similar - anyone care to chime in with any other major differences between the two models?

Not sure if you have looked around a Super Maramu? If your budget can stretch, the additional space will be most welcome if you plan to have guests on board on a regular basis. If you plan to sail solo or as a couple, then the Santorin, Maramu or even the Sharki would be perfect. 

Good luck with your search.

Best wishes,

Scott



On 11 Jul 2019, at 17:29, Will Marks <William.L.Marks@...> wrote:

Hey Ian,
Thanks for the heads up about the aft berth. At 6'1" it may be a little tight, but I can't imagine ruling out the boat over that unless it totally egregious and I have to sleep in the fetal position. A very generous forum member has already emailed me with an offer to let us visit their boat in Florida, so will hopefully get a chance to find out for myself very soon.

The only Santorin that I have ever stepped aboard, circa 2009 in Carriacou, was owned by a rather tall German couple. I believe the boat was named Cayenne. Unless I am totally mis-remembering the gentleman's stature, it would suggest that they found a way to make it work. 

A much appreciated tip, either way.

-Will




david bruce
 

Thank you for the recommendation Jean Pierre.  

Best,  Dave

sv Liesse  SN 006


On Jul 12, 2019, at 1:47 PM, Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...> wrote:

Hello Will,

I have an SM fully refurbished by some inept Euro places.  However, I found one place where the work, engineering and ethics is fantastic.

It is yacht concept Mallorca.  Peter Kuklok is Geman and trained to a Degree in marine engineering.  He is now a friend and recommend you contact him or at least look at his website. Many other Amel owners have gone to him and everyone is satisfied.

Good luck

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera, Suva, Fiji

On 12 Jul 2019, at 16:59, davidcbruce57@... wrote:

Hi Will,  

We have a Santorin sloop, purchased in southern France, early model, SN006, but w an incredible investment by the former owner in the 3 yrs prior to our purchase, equal to cost of boat actually.  Having only coastal cruised so far we are really happy with the openness and simplicity of the sloop, but I can appreciate the comments regarding the balance of the rig, and I am adding a staysail stay to increase sail handling options, which would not be necessary with the ketch rig. (although several listed do have this modification i note). 

Regarding the aft berth, at 5’11” I do sleep a bit kitty cornered since I tend to have my arms under the pillow, which makes it a bit tight, if not for this it would be fine.  

Regarding purchasing in the Med, I would caution you of the logistical and financial implications of equipping the boat for your plans for long distance passage making, as very few boats in the Med are equipped as such.  We are faced with this, and the challenges include the exchange rate, the VAT, the language barriers, as well as varying levels of work ethic, shall we say,

  We are part time cruising at present and having work done in absentia is frought with potential hazards and expenses.  I am deciding where to have the bigger ticket items such as arch and solar array, install of SSB, auxiliary form of self steering, water maker done.  At present we are considering Turkey, but given the challenges we’ve had with even relatively minor type issues i am approaching all this with some trepidation.  

We do love the boat, it’s manageable, stable, comfortable, and safe. I do agree with Ian, that it’s a bit simpler than the SM, less expensive to buy and own, but a washing machine and stand up walk through to the aft cabin do have a certain appeal……. 

Good luck, I think you are making a great choice and if you have any questions feel free to contact me directly. 

Best regards,  Dave Bruce,  sv Liesse,  SN006




On Jul 11, 2019, at 2:40 PM, Scott Brown <sbrown@...> wrote:

Hi Will,

I’ve spent a couple of nights sleeping in the aft cabin of a Maramu, I’m 6 feet tall and found it quite comfortable. I’m assuming the Santorin dimensions are comparable but hopefully someone can verify this?

I’ve also heard of a few owners who have customised the aft cabin layout to incorporate a larger bed, so I’m sure there are ways to squeeze in taller owners :o)

Have you considered a Maramu? There are more on the market and they will often be lower in price than Santorin’s.

Aesthetically I prefer the sugar scoop rear of the Santorin but beyond this I think they are quite similar - anyone care to chime in with any other major differences between the two models?

Not sure if you have looked around a Super Maramu? If your budget can stretch, the additional space will be most welcome if you plan to have guests on board on a regular basis. If you plan to sail solo or as a couple, then the Santorin, Maramu or even the Sharki would be perfect. 

Good luck with your search.

Best wishes,

Scott



On 11 Jul 2019, at 17:29, Will Marks <William.L.Marks@...> wrote:

Hey Ian,
Thanks for the heads up about the aft berth. At 6'1" it may be a little tight, but I can't imagine ruling out the boat over that unless it totally egregious and I have to sleep in the fetal position. A very generous forum member has already emailed me with an offer to let us visit their boat in Florida, so will hopefully get a chance to find out for myself very soon.

The only Santorin that I have ever stepped aboard, circa 2009 in Carriacou, was owned by a rather tall German couple. I believe the boat was named Cayenne. Unless I am totally mis-remembering the gentleman's stature, it would suggest that they found a way to make it work. 

A much appreciated tip, either way.

-Will





Will Marks
 

Update -

Craig and Katherine Briggs of SN Sangaris very graciously offered to give my wife and I a tour of their boat in South Florida this past weekend. I'd like to publicly thank them for being exceptionally generous with their time and knowledge. They are fantastic ambassadors for Amel. I had no sooner set foot on deck before Craig had me rigging up one of the articulating poles and rolling out the genoa so that he could show me the ballooner and halyard retrieval system. Throughout the morning and afternoon, it would seem that Craig left no system on Sangaris unexplained. The average broker with money on the line wouldn't even have given as thorough a tour of a boat!

 

Seeing the boat in the flesh confirmed our suspicions that this is a design would serve our purposes well. A Santorin is now at the top of our short list. We are very much hoping that a well-kept one will come up for sale on this side of the Atlantic in the coming 6-9 months, as right now they appear to all be in Europe. If any forum members know of one that may be coming on to the market in the US or Caribbean, we would welcome the heads up.

 

Thanks again to Craig and Katherine.


Cheers,

Will Marks



Matt Salatino
 

Check with Chris Stanley, Starkist, on the Rio Dulce, Guatemala. Several there. Don’t know what’s for sale....

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Aug 5, 2019, at 12:06 PM, Will Marks <William.L.Marks@...> wrote:

Update -

Craig and Katherine Briggs of SN Sangaris very graciously offered to give my wife and I a tour of their boat in South Florida this past weekend. I'd like to publicly thank them for being exceptionally generous with their time and knowledge. They are fantastic ambassadors for Amel. I had no sooner set foot on deck before Craig had me rigging up one of the articulating poles and rolling out the genoa so that he could show me the ballooner and halyard retrieval system. Throughout the morning and afternoon, it would seem that Craig left no system on Sangaris unexplained. The average broker with money on the line wouldn't even have given as thorough a tour of a boat!

 

Seeing the boat in the flesh confirmed our suspicions that this is a design would serve our purposes well. A Santorin is now at the top of our short list. We are very much hoping that a well-kept one will come up for sale on this side of the Atlantic in the coming 6-9 months, as right now they appear to all be in Europe. If any forum members know of one that may be coming on to the market in the US or Caribbean, we would welcome the heads up.

 

Thanks again to Craig and Katherine.


Cheers,

Will Marks