Manual Outhaul system

Ellen Cahill

Hi,

We have had a number of issues with out mainsail outhaul motor and so we have had to macgyver a manual system more than once. We hope to fix/replace the motor but I'd like a more permanent solution for a manual outhaul system that you could engage.

Has anyone here figured something out?

I plan to use the existing outhaul car and line. To do so I plan to remove the center bolt from the grip to disengage the motor and make a pin bracket to fit in the grip and allow it to spin without the motor. I can then have a new outhaul line from the back of the boom, thought a pully attached to the car, back through a check block on the boom and up to a cleat on the boom, close to the goose neck.

It would be great to hear some thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Ellen Cahill,
Ireland

SV Saol Nua
Amel Mango

Matt Salatino

Would it be just as easy to replace the motor?
I’m sure Amel doesn’t wind their own motors, and someone knows the source?

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Jul 11, 2019, at 2:42 PM, Ellen Cahill <ellencahill@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul Osterberg

Ellen!
there is a rather easy way to set up a convenient back up system, i have been forced to do that two times.
Mount a block at the connection where the boom and mast meets. Take a line to the block at the back end of the bom and attache it to the sail, the other end you take to a block at the rail and lead it back to the cockpit, see attached photos, Maybe you do not like the way I attached the block at the boom base, the pictures are from my first attempt I have tried different ways, you can experiment what you find suits you, I use soft chakle .
the set up work very well.
Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259 in Horta

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Paul and Ellen. I like Pauls set up in that it is totally adjustable from the cockpit, perfect. I can add a level of simplicity. You do not need to remove the endless Amel outhaul line. Just remove the locating bolt in the top of the front wheel and it will spin free of the motor.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 12 July 2019 at 01:15 Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

Ellen!
there is a rather easy way to set up a convenient back up system, i have been forced to do that two times.
Mount a block at the connection where the boom and mast meets. Take a line to the block at the back end of the bom and attache it to the sail, the other end you take to a block at the rail and lead it back to the cockpit, see attached photos, Maybe you do not like the way I attached the block at the boom base, the pictures are from my first attempt I have tried different ways, you can experiment what you find suits you, I use soft chakle .
the set up work very well.
Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259 in Horta

Ian Park

Nice system Paul. Why did you not use the main mast winch to haul the sail instead of the lead back to the cockpit? Or maybe it’s better if it is just the outhaul that has stopped working then you can reach the inhaul switch....,,,

Paul Osterberg

Dan: You must detach the out haul line as the block at the outer end of the boom is used
Ian by using the secondary winch in the cockpit you can maneuver the out-haul from the cockpit, actually it is very convenient, an added benefit there is no slip which can occur sometimes in very strong wind.
Paul SY Kerpa SM#259

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

OK Paul, I thought you had attached a block at the outer end in one of the notched hook cutouts or to the tang the topping lift is attached to. Thats what I did. (notched cutouts) Since things always go wrong at the worst possible time the saving in time by not removing the endless cord may be useful. However if the length of time it was to be in place is significant it is a neater solution. I did the process early in my ownership before I discovered how often brushes worn or sticking caused the motor to malfunction, and how quick and simple it is to deal with. In any event mine was in place breifly.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl