Topics

Shore power contactor burnt out

Eamonn Washington

Hi

yesterday I connected to 220V shore power, sockets worked as usual. Then I switched on the 220V battery charger and aircon.  A few seconds later all 220V power stopped and there was a burning smell in the galley and the large port cockpit locker.  No breakers gone on shore or the boat.  No possibility to get shore power working again.  The inverter still works but did not try the generator (due to an abundance of caution).

Today I traced the shore power cable to the forward end of the large port cockpit locker, behind the insulation and removable end panel. There was a lot of ash, which was never there before (I clean every year).  I opened the grey box that the mains cable terminated in, and there was evidence of melted electrical insulation and a lot of soot. Inside there was a “device” with the labels “Telemecanique” and “LC1 D25008”.  I googled this and found it is a “contactor” (I never heard of this word before).

My questions are: did this device fail due to age and simply needs to be replaced (along with damaged wires), or did it protect me from something badly wrong and there is another problem elsewhere (battery charger or aircon).

I am waiting for an electrician, but maybe someone else has some advice?

Thanks
--
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug

Mark Erdos

This LC1 D25008 is the switch that changes you automatically from shore/genset power. The wiring of this device can be somewhat confusing to the novice. If you are unsure, get an electrician.

The device needs to be replaced. It probably melted due to corrosion on the bare ends of the wires. This causes heat and then fire. You will need to trim back the wire cable to check for damaged wire.

I had two of these devices fail on Cream Puff and because of this I opted to replace it with a manual switch. Since we live on the boat full time we are either at anchor or on the hook. Changing over the manual switch is not a big deal. I installed one of these: https://www.bluesea.com/products/9019/AC_Rotary_Switch_-_OFF_%2B_2_Positions_240V_AC_65A

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us

[...]

Thanks for the explanation Mark.

I rarely connect to shore power (650W solar panels), but I’ll try to replace it with an equivalent automatic switch.  But out of interest, if you install a manual switch, did you place it in an easier to access location (like near the generator switch in the galley)?  I might do that if it fails again.

Thanks again
--
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug

Is this the box:
image.png
If so, Mark is correct...and more importantly, failure of this relay means that you should not operate the generator until the relay is replaced, or the relay is replaced with a traditional 220 volt shore power-generator power selector switch is installed. The image above is from my Amel Book.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 7:31 AM Eamonn Washington <eamonn.washington@...> wrote:
Thanks for the explanation Mark.

I rarely connect to shore power (650W solar panels), but I’ll try to replace it with an equivalent automatic switch.  But out of interest, if you install a manual switch, did you place it in an easier to access location (like near the generator switch in the galley)?  I might do that if it fails again.

Thanks again
--
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151
Currently in Trapani, Sicliy, Italy.

Mark Erdos

Eamonn,

I put the switch in the engine room in the same location as the contactor.  This was the easiest location since it did not require splicing or replacing the main power cable. The switch required a larger junction box. I never start the genset without checking the oil so popping down to the engine room to change the switch is not a big deal. However, there have been a few times when I wish I had located the switch next to the remote start in the galley. If I had to do it over, I’d probably put it here.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us

I rarely connect to shore power (650W solar panels), but I’ll try to replace it with an equivalent automatic switch.  But out of interest, if you install a manual switch, did you place it in an easier to access location (like near the generator switch in the galley)?  I might do that if it fails again.

Thanks again
--
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151
Currently in Trapani, Sicliy, Italy.

Mark,

The contactor relay is not in the engine room on early SMs. See the photo I attached earlier. It is inside the cockpit lazarette.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019, 9:25 AM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill,

Mine is located behind the genset. I may have been relocated by the previous owner when the Charles Isolation Transformer was installed in the lazarette.