Topics

Shore power contactor burnt out

Eamonn Washington

Hi

yesterday I connected to 220V shore power, sockets worked as usual. Then I switched on the 220V battery charger and aircon.  A few seconds later all 220V power stopped and there was a burning smell in the galley and the large port cockpit locker.  No breakers gone on shore or the boat.  No possibility to get shore power working again.  The inverter still works but did not try the generator (due to an abundance of caution).

Today I traced the shore power cable to the forward end of the large port cockpit locker, behind the insulation and removable end panel. There was a lot of ash, which was never there before (I clean every year).  I opened the grey box that the mains cable terminated in, and there was evidence of melted electrical insulation and a lot of soot. Inside there was a “device” with the labels “Telemecanique” and “LC1 D25008”.  I googled this and found it is a “contactor” (I never heard of this word before). 

My questions are: did this device fail due to age and simply needs to be replaced (along with damaged wires), or did it protect me from something badly wrong and there is another problem elsewhere (battery charger or aircon).

I am waiting for an electrician, but maybe someone else has some advice?

Thanks
--
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151
Currently in Trapani, Sicily, Italy.

Mark Erdos

This LC1 D25008 is the switch that changes you automatically from shore/genset power. The wiring of this device can be somewhat confusing to the novice. If you are unsure, get an electrician.

The device needs to be replaced. It probably melted due to corrosion on the bare ends of the wires. This causes heat and then fire. You will need to trim back the wire cable to check for damaged wire.

I had two of these devices fail on Cream Puff and because of this I opted to replace it with a manual switch. Since we live on the boat full time we are either at anchor or on the hook. Changing over the manual switch is not a big deal. I installed one of these: https://www.bluesea.com/products/9019/AC_Rotary_Switch_-_OFF_%2B_2_Positions_240V_AC_65A

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Eamonn Washington
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2019 7:01 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Shore power contactor burnt out

Hi

yesterday I connected to 220V shore power, sockets worked as usual. Then I switched on the 220V battery charger and aircon.  A few seconds later all 220V power stopped and there was a burning smell in the galley and the large port cockpit locker.  No breakers gone on shore or the boat.  No possibility to get shore power working again.  The inverter still works but did not try the generator (due to an abundance of caution).

Today I traced the shore power cable to the forward end of the large port cockpit locker, behind the insulation and removable end panel. There was a lot of ash, which was never there before (I clean every year).  I opened the grey box that the mains cable terminated in, and there was evidence of melted electrical insulation and a lot of soot. Inside there was a “device” with the labels “Telemecanique” and “LC1 D25008”.  I googled this and found it is a “contactor” (I never heard of this word before). 

My questions are: did this device fail due to age and simply needs to be replaced (along with damaged wires), or did it protect me from something badly wrong and there is another problem elsewhere (battery charger or aircon).

I am waiting for an electrician, but maybe someone else has some advice?

Thanks
--
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151
Currently in Trapani, Sicily, Italy.

Eamonn Washington

Thanks for the explanation Mark.

I rarely connect to shore power (650W solar panels), but I’ll try to replace it with an equivalent automatic switch.  But out of interest, if you install a manual switch, did you place it in an easier to access location (like near the generator switch in the galley)?  I might do that if it fails again.

Thanks again
--
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151
Currently in Trapani, Sicliy, Italy.

Is this the box:
image.png
If so, Mark is correct...and more importantly, failure of this relay means that you should not operate the generator until the relay is replaced, or the relay is replaced with a traditional 220 volt shore power-generator power selector switch is installed. The image above is from my Amel Book.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 7:31 AM Eamonn Washington <eamonn.washington@...> wrote:

I rarely connect to shore power (650W solar panels), but I’ll try to replace it with an equivalent automatic switch.  But out of interest, if you install a manual switch, did you place it in an easier to access location (like near the generator switch in the galley)?  I might do that if it fails again.

Thanks again
--
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151

Mark Erdos

Eamonn,

I put the switch in the engine room in the same location as the contactor.  This was the easiest location since it did not require splicing or replacing the main power cable. The switch required a larger junction box. I never start the genset without checking the oil so popping down to the engine room to change the switch is not a big deal. However, there have been a few times when I wish I had located the switch next to the remote start in the galley. If I had to do it over, I’d probably put it here.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Eamonn Washington
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2019 8:31 AM
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Shore power contactor burnt out

I rarely connect to shore power (650W solar panels), but I’ll try to replace it with an equivalent automatic switch.  But out of interest, if you install a manual switch, did you place it in an easier to access location (like near the generator switch in the galley)?  I might do that if it fails again.

Thanks again
--
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151

Mark,

The contactor relay is not in the engine room on early SMs. See the photo I attached earlier. It is inside the cockpit lazarette. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019, 9:25 AM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Eamonn,

I put the switch in the engine room in the same location as the contactor.  This was the easiest location since it did not require splicing or replacing the main power cable. The switch required a larger junction box. I never start the genset without checking the oil so popping down to the engine room to change the switch is not a big deal. However, there have been a few times when I wish I had located the switch next to the remote start in the galley. If I had to do it over, I’d probably put it here.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

I rarely connect to shore power (650W solar panels), but I’ll try to replace it with an equivalent automatic switch.  But out of interest, if you install a manual switch, did you place it in an easier to access location (like near the generator switch in the galley)?  I might do that if it fails again.

Thanks again
--
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151

Mark Erdos

Bill,

Mine is located behind the genset. I may have been relocated by the previous owner when the Charles Isolation Transformer was installed in the lazarette.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2019 10:47 AM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io

Mark,

The contactor relay is not in the engine room on early SMs. See the photo I attached earlier. It is inside the cockpit lazarette. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Eamonn,

I put the switch in the engine room in the same location as the contactor.  This was the easiest location since it did not require splicing or replacing the main power cable. The switch required a larger junction box. I never start the genset without checking the oil so popping down to the engine room to change the switch is not a big deal. However, there have been a few times when I wish I had located the switch next to the remote start in the galley. If I had to do it over, I’d probably put it here.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Thanks again
--
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151

James Cromie

One thing that this contactor failure illustrates is that they do have a lifespan - whether it is a contactor used in standard domestic, marine, or other purposes.  Additionally, I have noted terminals can loosen over time - particularly with contactors where there can be repeated vibration / jarring.  This, in addition to possible corrosion, can cause terminals to loosen or have poor continuity, resulting in high resistance and ultimately melting components or causing fire.  

I know there are more experienced people on the forum than myself (electrical engineers, etc), but this illustrates the importance of checking electrical connections in the various circuits regularly (particularly those that carry high amperage), and ensuring that lugs are tightened and terminals are clean.    I know I’m preaching to the choir…  Perhaps I’m writing what I’m reminding myself of doing!

-James
Soteria SM 347

On Jul 15, 2019, at 9:05 AM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Eamonn,

I put the switch in the engine room in the same location as the contactor.  This was the easiest location since it did not require splicing or replacing the main power cable. The switch required a larger junction box. I never start the genset without checking the oil so popping down to the engine room to change the switch is not a big deal. However, there have been a few times when I wish I had located the switch next to the remote start in the galley. If I had to do it over, I’d probably put it here.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper
Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Eamonn Washington
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2019 8:31 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Shore power contactor burnt out

Thanks again
-- 
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151

In early model SMs the Shore/Generator relay switch box was located in the Lazarette, in later models behind the generator.

Attached is a page from my Amel Book showing both locations.

It is important to note that there was no breaker protection at the point of entry on all SMs. These shore power wires are getting old and many are beyond life expectancy. When replacing the shore power wire on a SM, te owner might consider leaving the old wire in place from the generator/shore power relay control box that we are discussing to a point inside the port side of the Lazarette. At that point install a double pole 20 amp breaker on a newly installed box. From this newly installed box and breaker install a new shore power wire and plug.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 11:29 AM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Bill,

Mine is located behind the genset. I may have been relocated by the previous owner when the Charles Isolation Transformer was installed in the lazarette.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2019 10:47 AM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io

Mark,

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Eamonn,

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Thanks again
--
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151

Eamonn Washington

Hi

thanks for the input and Bill’s advice and diagrams.

Only 10A relays are available locally, so I have to wait 2 days for a 40A replacement relay to be sent.  I will put in a final note when it is working, including the brand of replacement relay and price.  I think this should be added to the spares list for the older Amels.

Regarding the addition of the breaker in the aft lazarette on the shore power, I was think of adding a 32A galvanic isolator there anyway.  Is there any combined product that could do both jobs that you suggest I could order?

Thanks
--
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151

I have never seen a combined product. 

BTW, I like the galvanic isolators with a gauge. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019, 3:55 AM Eamonn Washington <eamonn.washington@...> wrote:
Hi

thanks for the input and Bill’s advice and diagrams.

Only 10A relays are available locally, so I have to wait 2 days for a 40A replacement relay to be sent.  I will put in a final note when it is working, including the brand of replacement relay and price.  I think this should be added to the spares list for the older Amels.

Regarding the addition of the breaker in the aft lazarette on the shore power, I was think of adding a 32A galvanic isolator there anyway.  Is there any combined product that could do both jobs that you suggest I could order?

Thanks
--
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151

Eamonn Washington

Hi

the failed contactor also melted the socket leaving the boat for the shore, and it turns out also damaged either the stator or rotor of the generator with an estimated rewind price of around 2000 euros and also involves taking the generator out of the boat for a week.

I could get it repaired in Sicily, but if anyone can recommend a place to repair the generator in the Western Mediterranean I would appreciate it.  We can live without the generator for a month or so.  Is it really necessary to remove the Onan 6.5kW generator to repair the stator or rotor?

Thanks

--
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151

Craig Briggs

Edited

Eamonn,

You can, indeed, remove the generator end without pulling the whole unit. If you can diagnose the problem as the rotor, that is very simple to pull, but if you can't pin it down the whole generator end is not much more work to remove. You'll want to separate the rotor and stator so you're not schlepping too much weight. No need to pull the diesel motor end.

I got my rotor rewound (a 6kw Northern Lights - similar to your Onan) in Venezuela for under $200 (two hundred) US. Try an industrial generator shop that doesn't have "marine" or "Onan" in it's name. It's just a bunch of generic wire and any competent shop can do the work.  An entirely new generator end should be about $2,000 so keep shopping around as 2000 euros seems very high for a rewind. (Unless most of it is for labor to pull the generator, which you can easily do yourself and just give them the rotor. Send me 10% for all the money you'll save ;-)

Good luck with it,
Craig Briggs (the incurable DIY guy), SN68 Sangaris
PS.  I'd look around Palermo - Trapani is pretty thin on industrial resources.

Eamonn Washington

The full description of the original contactor is LC1-D25008-M7.  It is discontinued.  I have ordered a used one on ebay, so I could eventually do a like for like swap, but I have been unable to find a good substitute new model.  I would much prefer to use a new product.  Does anyone know what product would meet the specification of the original (including rated for 40A continuous current etc.)

Craig, based on your advice, I am looking for a place where I can get the rewinding of the stator or rotor done.  It was really great to read that it is not necessary to remove the generator.  I will see around Sardinia, or points West of here.  Much appreciated!

--
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151
Currently in Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy.

Mark Erdos

Here is a source for the contactor: https://www.eibmarkt.com/cgi-bin/eibmarkt.storefront/5d3498c9007021c62746ac1e04020600/Product/View/NS0742502

I believe the original was rated 25A – I may be wrong about this.

Also, consider Amel as a part source on this. If the old part is no longer available perhaps they can suggest a replacement.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2019 12:23 PM

The full description of the original contactor is LC1-D25008-M7.  It is discontinued.  I have ordered a used one on ebay, so I could eventually do a like for like swap, but I have been unable to find a good substitute new model.  I would much prefer to use a new product.  Does anyone know what product would meet the specification of the original (including rated for 40A continuous current etc.)

Craig, based on your advice, I am looking for a place where I can get the rewinding of the stator or rotor done.  It was really great to read that it is not necessary to remove the generator.  I will see around Sardinia, or points West of here.  Much appreciated!

--
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151

Eamonn Washington

Hi

the good news is that I found a competent electrician in Cagliari, Sandro (tel 3476327483, only speaks Italian), and a place to get the stator rewound (Matta Electromeccanica, tel 070 284 647).  Without the helpful staff at Marina del Sole I would not have got this far.

The stator weighs about 60kg, the copper had completely melted.  The rotor was fine.  Matta will charge 500 euros plus 22% VAT for the rewinding of the stator.

I will install a double pole 20A breaker in a box in the aft lazarette like Bill suggested.  (I don’t want this generator problem again.)  Also I will install a manual relay switch in the galley to replace the burnt out contactor in the cockpit locker, with a middle OFF position, rated for at least 32A.

Thanks for all the support on this forum, it provided invaluable help.

Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151

eric freedman

Hi Emmons,

With the switch in the cabin, is it possible to send AC down the shore power cord with the generator running?

The purpose of the contactor is to disconnect the generator from the shore power cord.

Fair Winds

Eric

sm

Sent: Friday, July 26, 2019 12:25 PM

Hi

the good news is that I found a competent electrician in Cagliari, Sandro (tel 3476327483, only speaks Italian), and a place to get the stator rewound (Matta Electromeccanica, tel 070 284 647).  Without the helpful staff at Marina del Sole I would not have got this far.

The stator weighs about 60kg, the copper had completely melted.  The rotor was fine.  Matta will charge 500 euros plus 22% VAT for the rewinding of the stator.

I will install a double pole 20A breaker in a box in the aft lazarette like Bill suggested.  (I don’t want this generator problem again.)  Also I will install a manual relay switch in the galley to replace the burnt out contactor in the cockpit locker, with a middle OFF position, rated for at least 32A.

Thanks for all the support on this forum, it provided invaluable help.

Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151

Eamonn Washington

Hi Eric

The contactor is an automatic switch that selects either the power from the shore or the generator.  The manual switch does the same job, just manually.  I bought a Schneider Electric rotary switch rated for 32A, with an off position between the shore and generator position.  It is inside the same box in the cockpit locker, except the selector is inside the galley to port of the existing generator start switch.

My Stator was rewound for 610 euros including VAT, and was assembled (with difficulty) in the engine room.  It all works now.  I also installed the 20A bipolar trip switches in the aft lazerette that Bill suggested, and I took the opportunity to replace the full length of the shore power cable (right up to the rotary switch).

All the electrical work was done by an electrician.

Best regards
--
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151

eric freedman

Hi Eamonn,

That type of manual switch is called a transfer switch.

Did you also install a galvanic isolator in the circuit while you were rewiring the boat?

What type of housing did you enclose the circuit breaker in your aft lazarette?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Friday, August 02, 2019 4:10 AM

Hi Eric

The contactor is an automatic switch that selects either the power from the shore or the generator.  The manual switch does the same job, just manually.  I bought a Schneider Electric rotary switch rated for 32A, with an off position between the shore and generator position.  It is inside the same box in the cockpit locker, except the selector is inside the galley to port of the existing generator start switch.

My Stator was rewound for 610 euros including VAT, and was assembled (with difficulty) in the engine room.  It all works now.  I also installed the 20A bipolar trip switches in the aft lazerette that Bill suggested, and I took the opportunity to replace the full length of the shore power cable (right up to the rotary switch).

Best regards
--
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151

heinz@quetzal.berlin

Hallo 
I changed my switch last year in a Philippi Lau 340 with 3 inputs. 
1st shore power
2nd generator 
3. battery cable. 
The generator always has priority. 

This gives you the possibility to have 220 v permanently on the sockets in the ship.  Works great. 
520 Euro 
Fare winds 
Heinz Sy Quetzal, Super Marabu 2000, 292 
image1.png

Mit freundlichen Grüßen 
Heinz Stutenbāumer
Dachdeckermeister

Am 03.08.2019 um 04:02 schrieb eric freedman <kimberlite@...>:

Hi Eamonn,

That type of manual switch is called a transfer switch.

Did you also install a galvanic isolator in the circuit while you were rewiring the boat?

What type of housing did you enclose the circuit breaker in your aft lazarette?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Friday, August 02, 2019 4:10 AM

Hi Eric

Best regards
--
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151