Topics

A.M.F.A fresh water pump on A54

Lior Keydar <sharona246@...>

Hello everybody

The A.M.F.A fresh water pump stop sometimes working. After I give a soft "kick" on the pressure switch, it start working again. It looks like that the switch sometime does not start after the pressure goes down and when it start, the pressure goes up slowly.
Does anyone has any advise? can you please write me what is the hi and low pressure that it should work? and how much I should pump the accumulator tank (and how to measure it) ? I think it could be a dust somewhere?

Thanks a lot
Lior, SHARONA A54 #18

Chen Melamed

ליאור???

נשלח מה-iPhone שלי

‫ב-16 ביולי 2019, בשעה 14:57, ‏‏Lior Keydar via Groups.Io ‏<sharona246@...> כתב/ה:‬

Hello everybody

The A.M.F.A fresh water pump stop sometimes working. After I give a soft "kick" on the pressure switch, it start working again. It looks like that the switch sometime does not start after the pressure goes down and when it start, the pressure goes up slowly.
Does anyone has any advise? can you please write me what is the hi and low pressure that it should work? and how much I should pump the accumulator tank (and how to measure it) ? I think it could be a dust somewhere?

Thanks a lot
Lior, SHARONA A54 #18

You either need a new Square D pressure switch, and it adjusted correctly, or you need to adjust the current switch. If you have never adjusted the switch, you may find the 2 adjustments difficult as it is not intuitive.

Don't kick it as the rubber mounts will easily break.

Amel installed 2 different A.M.F.A/Reya fresh water pumps. The 66b and 88b. The 66b cutoff pressure is about 2.0 bar...turn ON at about 0.6 bar. The 88b settings are higher.

The accumulator air pressure should be measured with 0 bar water pressure in the freshwater system. Generally the air pressure should be 10-15% less than the cutoff water pressure.

There is a lot more in my 400 page Amel Book.

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019, 6:57 AM Lior Keydar via Groups.Io <sharona246=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello everybody

The A.M.F.A fresh water pump stop sometimes working. After I give a soft "kick" on the pressure switch, it start working again. It looks like that the switch sometime does not start after the pressure goes down and when it start, the pressure goes up slowly.
Does anyone has any advise? can you please write me what is the hi and low pressure that it should work? and how much I should pump the accumulator tank (and how to measure it) ? I think it could be a dust somewhere?

Thanks a lot
Lior, SHARONA A54 #18

Mohammad Shirloo

Hello Lior;

The pressure switch is a mechanical switch that uses springs. The springs sometimes get rusty and old and do not function reliably and consistently. These switches are relatively inexpensive and in my opinion, better to replace than try to fix, when they start to get unreliable. However, some cleaning and lubricating the springs and connections, may work temporarily.

As far as the on and off pressures, we have set ours at 1.4 bars on and 3.0 bars off. You can vary these numbers a bit based on personal preference in water pressure and how often the pump cycles.

Going off memory, I believe that we have set the pressure inside the accumulator at 1.4 bars. This combination gives us good pressure and a good length of time between cycles. You can measure the pressure in the accumulator with a simple auto tire pressure gauge.

Respectfully;

Mohammad &Aty
Amel 54 #099
B&B Kokomo

On Jul 16, 2019, at 2:03 PM, Chen Melamed via Groups.Io <cm@...> wrote:

ליאור???

נשלח מה-iPhone שלי

‫ב-16 ביולי 2019, בשעה 14:57, ‏‏Lior Keydar via Groups.Io ‏<sharona246@...> כתב/ה:‬

Hello everybody

The A.M.F.A fresh water pump stop sometimes working. After I give a soft "kick" on the pressure switch, it start working again. It looks like that the switch sometime does not start after the pressure goes down and when it start, the pressure goes up slowly.
Does anyone has any advise? can you please write me what is the hi and low pressure that it should work? and how much I should pump the accumulator tank (and how to measure it) ? I think it could be a dust somewhere?

Thanks a lot
Lior, SHARONA A54 #18

Lior Keydar <sharona246@...>

Dear Mohammad

Thanks a lot for your feedback. It was nice talking to you on VHF a few days ago :-)
I will immediately order the switch but we must have water in between... We are still two weeks in Montenegro and Croatia. I will try to take it out and clean it. Maybe it will help for the next two weeks. Are you still in Tivat? I will be there tomorrow.

Thanks
Lior

Lior Keydar <sharona246@...>

Thank you very much Bill. It helps me a lot. I very appropriate your replay!

Thanks
Lior

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Lior;

If you find yourself in a pinch, I do have spares on board that you can have.

We were anchored outside Kotor for a couple of days and are now anchored outside Risan in Bay of Kotor.

We will be in marina Porto Montenegro in a few days.

Respectfully;

Mohammad & Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099

On Jul 16, 2019, at 2:44 PM, Lior Keydar via Groups.Io <sharona246@...> wrote:

Dear Mohammad

Thanks a lot for your feedback. It was nice talking to you on VHF a few days ago :-)
I will immediately order the switch but we must have water in between... We are still two weeks in Montenegro and Croatia. I will try to take it out and clean it. Maybe it will help for the next two weeks. Are you still in Tivat? I will be there tomorrow.

Thanks
Lior

Lior Keydar <sharona246@...>

Dear Bill and everybody

I have the A.M.F.A 88b. Is it possible that the problem is on motor? when the pressure drops, I see that there is 27 V on the engine but it does not work. When I kick it  a little bit it starts very slow and then it goes faster. Is it maybe the engine?

Thanks
Lior

Yes, it could be the brushes on the motor. They are replaceable.

You can open the Square D pressure switch by unscrewing the nut in the middle of the box. You will see two mechanical spring switches. If you see them closing when you "kick" it is the Square D Pressure switch...if they are already closed and the motor not running until you "kick," it is the brushes on the electric motor.

The above is most likely, but as I learned from my doctor, diagnosis is always much better in person.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 11:45 AM Lior Keydar via Groups.Io <sharona246=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Dear Bill and everybody

I have the A.M.F.A 88b. Is it possible that the problem is on motor? when the pressure drops, I see that there is 27 V on the engine but it does not work. When I kick it  a little bit it starts very slow and then it goes faster. Is it maybe the engine?

Thanks
Lior

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222

For me it is the other way sometimes the pumt dont stop running with a soft tuch on the switsh it works .
It is the membran  from the pump
The menbran is old and hard maybe you can change the menbran

Good luck Elja
SM 222

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 16.07.2019 um 13:57 schrieb Lior Keydar via Groups.Io <sharona246@...>:

Hello everybody

The A.M.F.A fresh water pump stop sometimes working. After I give a soft "kick" on the pressure switch, it start working again. It looks like that the switch sometime does not start after the pressure goes down and when it start, the pressure goes up slowly.
Does anyone has any advise? can you please write me what is the hi and low pressure that it should work? and how much I should pump the accumulator tank (and how to measure it) ? I think it could be a dust somewhere?

Thanks a lot
Lior, SHARONA A54 #18

Lior Keydar <sharona246@...>

Dear Bill
Yes!!! it was the brushes. one of them was very bad. I am lucky that the previous owner bought the service kit for the pump. I took the motor out, replaced the brushes and now it is working perfect.
The next step will be to replace the D pressure switch but it is now not urgent.

Thanks again for your help
Lior

Good.

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019, 7:07 PM Lior Keydar via Groups.Io <sharona246=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Dear Bill
Yes!!! it was the brushes. one of them was very bad. I am lucky that the previous owner bought the service kit for the pump. I took the motor out, replaced the brushes and now it is working perfect.
The next step will be to replace the D pressure switch but it is now not urgent.

Thanks again for your help
Lior

Mark & Debbie Mueller

Glad you have your pump working.  Would you have the part number of the motor brushes or the physical dimensions and a photo.  I would like to find a source for these parts.  Thanks.
--
Mark & Debbie Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Lior Keydar <sharona246@...>

I am sending the file that was with the kit. It was also writing Kit A88 219450 (in hand writing, i am not sure...)
Sorry, I did not buy it my self. This is the information that was with the parts.
I have also the spare kit for A66B (anchor wash pump). For this kit it is written REYA CODE: 219432 "kit de maintenance A66B"

I hope it helps

Lior
SHARONA A54 #18

Lior Keydar <sharona246@...>

The dimensions is 7x12x25, length of the cable is 35 mm

Lior,

Kit 66B is NOT anchor wash. It is the standard freshwater pump for SMs. I am sure that there are SM owners that will want the 66B kit.

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 2:31 AM Lior Keydar via Groups.Io <sharona246=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I am sending the file that was with the kit. It was also writing Kit A88 219450 (in hand writing, i am not sure...)
Sorry, I did not buy it my self. This is the information that was with the parts.
I have also the spare kit for A66B (anchor wash pump). For this kit it is written REYA CODE: 219432 "kit de maintenance A66B"

I hope it helps

Lior
SHARONA A54 #18

Lior Keydar <sharona246@...>

Bill,

I checked again. The 66B is installed on my boat as an anchor wash pump.

Lior

Lior and others interested:

Unless you were the original owner, be careful to assume that is what is currently on your boat was actually Amel OEM installed equipment.

This is the Amel SM & early 54 OEM Reya 66B Freshwater Pump:
image.png
This is the 54 OEM Reya 88b freshwater pump that was installed on most 54s
image.png
This is the SM & 54 OEM S40 OEM Anchor Wash Pump
image.png
image.png

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 9:30 AM Lior Keydar via Groups.Io <sharona246=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bill,

I checked again. The 66B is installed on my boat as an anchor wash pump.

Lior

Brass Ring <brassring44@...>

Lior, thank you for the data.  I will post any information I find if I locate a US source.

--
Mark Mueller
email - brass.ring@...

Brass Ring <brassring44@...>

Thanks for the information Bill, saved me from thumbing thru the Yacht School bible, formerly AMEL School, to verify which pump was installed.
--
Mark Mueller
email - brass.ring@...