Spade Anchor

Paul Osterberg

We have lost confidence in our Rocna anchor, it served us well for over two years, but this season we have dragged several times, It happens when wind shift 180 degree, then we have slowly slipped backwards. After searching the market we have come to the conclusion that Spade is probably one of te best anchors, great holding power and very god 180 degree resetting.
Now my questions to you out there who have a spade anchor, What size do you have? what is the largest one can fit without major modifications on an SM?
Would prefer the 45 kg S180 if it fits
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259 Horta The Azores

Davi Rozgonyi

I'd look into an ultra. It's what we're upgrading to from the rocna. No roll bar, able to oversize, mud doesn't stick.... Sounds perfect except the price.

david bruce

We have Spade on our Santorin, so no help here on sizing for you, but i will say that we are planning on switching to 25 kg Rocna as i feel the Spade can be difficult to set in harder packed sand, ( have seen it skipping) and also doesn t seem to punch through weed as well as i d like.   John Haries of Affordable Adventure Cruising speaks highly of the Spade and has taken pains to point out the 180 deg wind shift issue w the Rocna.  I might now look at the Ultra as Davi suggests.  Ultimately i guess there is no perfect anchor and technique counts for a lot.
Good luck,
Dave Bruce
sv Liesse  SN006

On Jul 19, 2019, at 10:32 AM, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

We have lost confidence in our Rocna anchor, it served us well for over two years, but this season we have dragged several times, It happens when wind shift 180 degree, then we have slowly slipped backwards. After searching the market we have come to the conclusion that Spade is probably one of te best anchors, great holding power and very god 180 degree resetting.
Now my questions to you out there who have a spade anchor, What size do you have? what is the largest one can fit without major modifications on an SM?
Would prefer the 45 kg S180 if it fits
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259 Horta The Azores

Ian Park

I switched to Rocna after the shaft on my Spade bent. The shank on the spade is hollow. It may well have caught in rock. I don’t know. But the Spade should fit easily in the bow roller.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96

Matt Salatino

Fatty Goodlander wrote an excellent book on anchoring.
He has a technique that is simple and foolproof.
I recommend his method, and his book.
I’m in no way related, just a happy reader.....
We had a Rocna, by the way, on our previous Moody. Worked fine, even in reversals.
I think technique has a big impact on anchoring success.
We’re equipping our new Amel with an Ultra..... The Rocna won’t fit in the bow sprit.....

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Jul 19, 2019, at 3:03 PM, Ian <parkianj@...> wrote:

I switched to Rocna after the shaft on my Spade bent. The shank on the spade is hollow. It may well have caught in rock. I don’t know. But the Spade should fit easily in the bow roller.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello Paul,

I am a bit surprised your Rocna is not working as you expect; ours was brilliant (on our previous boat) even with a 180 degree wind shift.  Does yours have the roll over bar?

I had a CQR before on Eleuthera and this was pretty bad so having found a ULTRA dealer who gave me a big discount, I went for it.  If you do ULTRA, the 35Kg has worked perfectly for us. The 45KG should also fit.  Ensure you get the ULTRA swivel and chain claw.  Both are great kit esp the swivel which always brings the anchor aboard right side up.

GL

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera, SM 007, Fiji

On 20 Jul 2019, at 05:32, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

We have lost confidence in our Rocna anchor, it served us well for over two years, but this season we have dragged several times, It happens when wind shift 180 degree, then we have slowly slipped backwards. After searching the market we have come to the conclusion that Spade is probably one of te best anchors, great holding power and very god 180 degree resetting.
Now my questions to you out there who have a spade anchor, What size do you have? what is the largest one can fit without major modifications on an SM?
Would prefer the 45 kg S180 if it fits
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259 Horta The Azores

ngtnewington Newington

Hi Paul,
After researching extensively I have decided to demote my WASI 30kg to the second anchor, sell my Delta 40Kg, the current 2nd anchor and buy a Spade 160 which is 37kg, as my primary anchor. It is ordered but am waiting on delivery.
I did consider going for the 180 Spade. Obviously bigger is better in terms of holding power but I also considered the windlass and the chain, the whole system and felt that the 160 is the correct anchor for an Amel 54.
I will report back on it’s performance.

Nick
Anchored in the Ionian near Ithaca.
Amelia AML 54-019

On 19 Jul 2019, at 20:32, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

We have lost confidence in our Rocna anchor, it served us well for over two years, but this season we have dragged several times, It happens when wind shift 180 degree, then we have slowly slipped backwards. After searching the market we have come to the conclusion that Spade is probably one of te best anchors, great holding power and very god 180 degree resetting.
Now my questions to you out there who have a spade anchor, What size do you have? what is the largest one can fit without major modifications on an SM?
Would prefer the 45 kg S180 if it fits
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259 Horta The Azores

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good afternoon Paul,

I had the Spade 160 (77 lbs).

Sincerely, Alexandre
Formely SM2K #289 NIKIMAT

On Friday, July 19, 2019, 12:32:07 PM CDT, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

We have lost confidence in our Rocna anchor, it served us well for over two years, but this season we have dragged several times, It happens when wind shift 180 degree, then we have slowly slipped backwards. After searching the market we have come to the conclusion that Spade is probably one of te best anchors, great holding power and very god 180 degree resetting.
Now my questions to you out there who have a spade anchor, What size do you have? what is the largest one can fit without major modifications on an SM?
Would prefer the 45 kg S180 if it fits
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259 Horta The Azores

Paul Osterberg

Alexandre
How was the fit? do you think a bigger one would fit as well?
Paul

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Fit was good. I did not anchor much, but the previous owner was very happy with it.
I don’t know if a larger one would fit. May be they have a printable layout like some companies do.
The good thing about Spade is that there is (or was) a life time warranty. They replaced mine for free.
Alexandre

On Friday, July 19, 2019, 3:55:54 PM CDT, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

Alexandre
How was the fit? do you think a bigger one would fit as well?
Paul

michael winand

I have a sarca excel no 7  very happy.
They are exporting them from Australia now.
Michael  Nebo small 251

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 at 6:58 am, Alexandre Uster von Baar via Groups.Io
<uster@...> wrote:
Fit was good. I did not anchor much, but the previous owner was very happy with it.
I don’t know if a larger one would fit. May be they have a printable layout like some companies do.
The good thing about Spade is that there is (or was) a life time warranty. They replaced mine for free.
Alexandre
On Friday, July 19, 2019, 3:55:54 PM CDT, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

Alexandre
How was the fit? do you think a bigger one would fit as well?
Paul

Gary Silver

Paul:  I fitted an Aluminum Spade Anchor - Model # 1294552 - (?? weight I am guessing about 55 lbs) in 2008.  It has set the first time every time since and the only time it dragged was when I had hooked an underwater cable and it slid along it.  Sets in every type of seabed I have encountered in the last 11 years.  I now notice I have some pitting in the tip of the aluminum where the lead is but still seems structurally sound, have had no shank bending and other than the two pitts in the tip there is no other corrosion noticeable.  Fits perfectly on my boat. Highly recommended.

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona    Amel SM 2000 # 335
On the hard in Puerto Del Rey Marina, Puerto Rico

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Hello Paul

Sorry to hear that you are not happy with Rocna. I have changed from Original Buegel, (which is now BB on second Roller), to Rocna 40kg and using it the second season now.

Never dragged since then. I’m very happy with it and had several occasions recently with 180-degree shifts. I observed and dived the Anchor after a shift and discovered it may drag 0.5m or 1m (but not more) for resetting.

I had many troubles with the Buegel in the Agean Sea, especially when the bottom was partly covered by weed the holding was poor.

Ruedi & Sabina Waldispuehl
"SY WASABI"
Amel 54. #55

MMSI: 269322000
Call Sign: HBY3811

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...>
Datum: Freitag, 19. Juli 2019 um 22:16
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Betreff: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Spade Anchor

[...]

We have had a 33kg stainless Spade for the past 19 years in countless anchorages and conditions.  Alain Poireaud , the inventor, became a friend though alas has since died.

 When we set off in 2002 on a 7 year  circumnavigation of South America we had three Spades on board. One was a galvanised 33kg, in case we lost our stainless one and we also had one the same size in aluminium, weighing 15k kg. The galvanised one never met the sea and is now on board Eamonn  Washington's SM, Travel Bug. The aluminium one we used about 5 times to tandem anchor when we first arrived in Chile, where we had been assured it would be needed.  It wasn't. Each time we used it in tandem ( as the first down anchor, attached to the main anchor by 10 feet of chain ) it was clear that the main anchor had done all the work on its own, so from then on we have happily relied on just the stainless.

 The aluminium one has remained in the locker ever since except when we used in it to pull a French boat off the beach in Itaparica  in Brazil after he gone ashore in a storm. We laid the anchor out with about 300 meters of line and he winched himself off. The anchor didn't budge.

From what I have heard the rocna is also a fine anchor but the dialogue between the owners of the rocna and Alain when it came to a Wikipedia entry was pretty unhappy. There is room for both anchors--and others--in the boating world. However, I think Alain might have a wry smile on his face as he looks down from his celestial cruising ground and sees the Vulcan, a  development of the original rocna.  Notice any similarity ?

 Ian and Judy,  Pen Azen SM 302 Greece

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...>
Datum: Freitag, 19. Juli 2019 um 22:16
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

[...]

Ian & Judy
Thank you, you reassure me that I am on the right track changing my Rocna for a Spade. We have a 40 kg Rocna now and hope we can use the 40 kg Spade on the bow roller. As back up we have a Fortress FX 55
Paul

Eamonn Washington

Hi

I have 2 spades, S140, the still unused and bubble wrapped spare from Ian and Judy plus the one I use daily.  2 years ago I anchored on Ios in F10 for a couple of days and It held while boats dragged all around me.  In the straits of Messina, with a 4 knot current, we anchored and endured some 180 degree current shifts, and again it held perfectly.

If I was buying new I would go for the S160 probably, although with the S140 I always slept well.  I was impressed by the Ultra in boat shows.  I believe the newer Rocnas are good, but not for me.

--
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug