Topics

Panama Crime on the Caribe Side

Mark Erdos

Heads up to owners in the Panama area on the Caribbean side. There has been a serious rash of armed robberies between Shelter Bay Marina and the San Blas Islands. Linton Bay is especially volatile at this time. Several boats anchored in various bays were boarded by armed thieves. Details of the robberies can be found on CSSN https://safetyandsecuritynet.org/. At this point no arrest have been made and the robberies are expected to continue.

Please be extra vigilant if your plans include sailing in these waters anytime soon.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us

eric freedman

Mark,

I understand that in the last few weeks 2 sailboats have disappeared and no word has been heard from them.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Heads up to owners in the Panama area on the Caribbean side. There has been a serious rash of armed robberies between Shelter Bay Marina and the San Blas Islands. Linton Bay is especially volatile at this time. Several boats anchored in various bays were boarded by armed thieves. Details of the robberies can be found on CSSN https://safetyandsecuritynet.org/. At this point no arrest have been made and the robberies are expected to continue.

Please be extra vigilant if your plans include sailing in these waters anytime soon.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us

Matt Salatino

I’m reading that one of those boats decided not to go to Trinidad, and sailed to the Canaries, instead. I haven’t corroborated that source, but at least for me, the jury is out.....

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Jul 20, 2019, at 1:29 AM, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

[...]

Eric,

This is also true. One of the vessel’s EPRIB was found but there was no sign of wreckage.

The crime on the Caribe side of Panama this year has now reach an alarming level. Besides the recent armed robberies, there has be acts of piracy and murder. This includes only the crimes reported on CSSN. The regular crimes against tourist in Colon go mostly unreported and uninvestigated.

Thankfully the Pacific side of Panama and Panama City is a completely different story. It hard to believe this is the same country.

[...]

Porter McRoberts

It would be easy to enjoy the San Blas where there is “less” crime then head to shelter bay marina. We liked the Portobello anchorage, but I have to admit the eyes felt hungry there. And Colon? I’ve been to a lot of places and never felt the way I felt in Colon.

Just skip Portobello. Cool cannons. Really amazing history. Very sad monkey in a cage. A few Chinese quickmarts.

My 2 cents. Don’t miss the San Blas!

Porter McRoberts
S/V IBIS. A54-152
Huahine

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone

On Jul 20, 2019, at 2:45 AM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

[...]

karkauai

In 2017 I found Portobelo to be poor but safe.  There is an interesting history there in that it was the staging port for the Spanish galleons  carrying gold and silver back to Europe.  It was heavily fortified although only one of the four forts has been excavated for viewing.

The sail loft there did some good canvas work for me at a very reasonable price.

If you happen to be cruising Eastern Panama toward the end of October, consider taking in the festival of El Cristina Negro (the Black Christ) at Portobelo, it is quite a spectacle.

I guess it would be wise to check out the crime situation first, but it would be a shame to miss it.

Linton Bay was also poor but safe in 2017, but there wasn’t anything there I would go back to see, especially in view of recent crime.

Sail safe, have fun!
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Jul 20, 2019, at 1:33 PM, Porter McRoberts via Groups.Io <portermcroberts@...> wrote:

[...]

Thomas Kleman

I have to admit, we have been cruising in this area the past 6 months and the recent uptick in crime has me spooked. The fact that there seems to be no police response is more than alarming. When added to the recent attacks north of San Andres off Nicaragua it paints a grim picture. I'm now considering pushing forward my Canal transit since it's easier than mounting an 88 mm Flak gun on a Super Maramu.

Thomas Kleman
SM2K 422
Shelter Bay Marina

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

I thought the Pearl Islands was a much better cruising ground than the
San Blas Islands. The big problem is that cruisers don't have a nice
and cheap marina like Shelter Bay on the South side of Panama. But,
dropping the hook, and paying the dinghy fee at La Playita is the
best/cheapest way to go once you're through the canal. Don't stay in
Balboa YC for more than a few nights, if at all! The working boats
will drive you nuts, and one of them crashed into Aquarius causing
some damage. They had to haul Aquarius out in Flamenco Marina at a
high cost to repair.

Ken Powers
Aquarius SM2K#262
Currently in Indonesia

On 7/21/19, Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:
I have to admit, we have been cruising in this area the past 6 months and
the recent uptick in crime has me spooked. The fact that there seems to be
no police response is more than alarming. When added to the recent attacks
north of San Andres off Nicaragua it paints a grim picture. I'm now
considering pushing forward my Canal transit since it's easier than mounting
an 88 mm Flak gun on a Super Maramu.

Thomas Kleman
SM2K 422
Shelter Bay Marina

Mark Erdos

Ken,

Can you recommend any specific spots? We are looking to spend a little time going between the marina and the Pearls.

We are currently in Vista Mar Marina. It is just about 50 miles west of the Panama Canal on the pacific side. The rates here a incredibly low. We are paying about $425 per month. And, the marina is top notch.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper
Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff
www.creampuff.us

[...]

Hi Mark,

We didn't get down to Vista Mar Marina, and heard a few good things
about it. The downside was the distance from the city. Not sure that
is an issue for you, but it was for my wife.

$425.... That's nice...

We liked Isla Contadora 08 37.4385 N 079 01.7287 W or 08 37.2347 N
079 02.2394 W

Isla Chapera 08 35.0010 N 079 01.2745 W

Isla Viveros 08 27.4795 N 078 59.8949 W

We also anchored in Isla Del Ray close to the small river which was
pretty cool.
This was our vid regarding the Pearl Islands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNDXsgPjtzU

Best Ken