Topics

Auto pilot for a Santorin 46

JOHN HAYES

Hi all

Nga Waka reached Nuku’alofa this afternoon after a slow head wind slog from Wellington; the last 7 days hand steered

The system on the yacht is a Raymarine ST6002 and has been very satisfactory.......until now! It’s a Non hydraulic system and we guess the problem may be brushes in the linear actuator.

Whether or not we can do a repair here in Nuku’alofa I’d like to purchase a second system to install so we might avoid the situation over the past week.

In that context has any one out there purchased an auto helm they find satisfactory and could you please provide a brand and model number.

Thanks for any help or advice anyone might supply

John Hayes sn 41

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222

He John
We take a new one from Raymarine it works well the old one we repair and hold in Stock

Look at this link

Best wishes
Elja
SM 222

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 20.07.2019 um 10:22 schrieb JOHN HAYES <johnhayes862@...>:

Hi all

Nga Waka reached Nuku’alofa this afternoon after a slow head wind slog from Wellington; the last 7 days hand steered

The system on the yacht is a Raymarine ST6002 and has been very satisfactory.......until now! It’s a Non hydraulic system and we guess the problem may be brushes in the linear actuator.

Whether or not we can do a repair here in Nuku’alofa I’d like to purchase a second system to install so we might avoid the situation over the past week.

In that context has any one out there purchased an auto helm they find satisfactory and could you please provide a brand and model number.

Thanks for any help or advice anyone might supply

John Hayes sn 41

Red1 Stella SM359

I would suggest Hudson marine in the UK for the electronics, best prices I could find.

On 20 Jul 2019, at 10:34, Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222 <Bijorka@...> wrote:

[...]

eric freedman

Hi John,
It is easy to test the linear drive.
Just put voltage on the two heavy wires mine is 24 volts yours might be 12 volts.
The apply voltage to the thin 2 wires the clutch, always 12 volts.
If the drive doesn’t work, just take it apart it is very simple . It might be the gears inside or you might have to clean out the dust from the brushes or replace them. It is a very strong drive and is still used by Raymarine.

The planetary gears and the drive belt are also available.
Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Nga Waka reached Nuku’alofa this afternoon after a slow head wind slog from Wellington; the last 7 days hand steered

The system on the yacht is a Raymarine ST6002 and has been very satisfactory.......until now! It’s a Non hydraulic system and we guess the problem may be brushes in the linear actuator.

Whether or not we can do a repair here in Nuku’alofa I’d like to purchase a second system to install so we might avoid the situation over the past week.

In that context has any one out there purchased an auto helm they find satisfactory and could you please provide a brand and model number.

Thanks for any help or advice anyone might supply

John Hayes sn 41

JOHN HAYES

Many thanks Elja

On 20/07/2019, at 9:34 PM, Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222 <Bijorka@...> wrote:

[...]

Craig Briggs

Hi John,
Don't you have the standard Santorin insallation of a Raymarine Type 2 Rotary drive (not a linear drive) with a chain turning the wheel? And is that controlled by the ST6002?
It's not clear from your posting what the problem is - has the rotary drive failed or has the autopilot controller failed.  If it's the rotary drive and that was the original on your boat, Raymarine no longer supports that and it's likely it's more than just brushes. You'll be far better served by getting a new one (about $1,500). You can either control it with your old ST6002 or with a modern unit like the EVO or a B&G NAC3, etc.
Good luck with it,
Craig SN68 Sangaris

JOHN HAYES

Thanks Craig

I took over the boat with a dead auto helm as you describe

Along side that the newer Raymarine st6002 unit  (now failed) had been installed

It is a linear drive and might be repairable

What I’m trying to do is to identify a new system to purchase and install as close as possible to the present system so I don’t have to get into a lot of re-engineering

Can’t get to wifi before midday after clearing customs (who don’t work on sat and Sunday!)

Best

John

On 21/07/2019, at 4:33 AM, Craig Briggs via Groups.Io <sangaris@...> wrote:

Hi John,
Don't you have the standard Santorin insallation of a Raymarine Type 2 Rotary drive (not a linear drive) with a chain turning the wheel? And is that controlled by the ST6002?
It's not clear from your posting what the problem is - has the rotary drive failed or has the autopilot controller failed.  If it's the rotary drive and that was the original on your boat, Raymarine no longer supports that and it's likely it's more than just brushes. You'll be far better served by getting a new one (about $1,500). You can either control it with your old ST6002 or with a modern unit like the EVO or a B&G NAC3, etc.
Good luck with it,
Craig SN68 Sangaris

Craig Briggs

Hi John,

Sorry, but I'm still not clear about your situation. An autopilot system basically has three components; 1. a control unit, 2. an ACU (processor) with a heading sensor, and 3. a drive unit (rotary, linear, etc.)

It sounds like you have an original ST6002 control head that doesn't work and alongside that a second ST6002 control head that now also doesn't work.  You don't mention what ACU(s) you have or if they work but the original was likely a Raymarine ACU400. Does it work? If you have a second ACU, does it work? Then it sounds like you've got an original Raymarine Type 2 Rotary drive actuator but you didn't note if it works or not, plus an added linear drive of unspecified origin that doesn't work (maybe).

It sounds like someone added a redundant system with a linear drive. Does this have it's own ST6002 control unit AND it's own ACU (making it totally redundant)? Is the linear drive back at the quadrant? We can only guess at the configurations you have, but it sounds like you would have little or no re-engineering to simply replace the failed component(s) of either the original rotary system or the added linear system. Fix the one with the least broken parts :-) if you don't want the redundancy.

Cheers, Craig

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi John, 7 days hand steering is not much fun, I feel for you. My ray marine auto helm stopped functioning once when we were transiting French Polynesia and there was limited help available. All those technicians I could find advised all sorts of expensive replacements. A wise long time cruiser said check the electrical connections to the linear drive. He was right, they were wrong. There was a corroded wire joint. I had wasted two weeks waiting for parts to be delivered. Although two weeks in Raeatea isn't too painful. My fist lesson. Many many faults on our boats systems are caused by simple connection corrosion.
Kind Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 20 July 2019 at 20:22 JOHN HAYES <johnhayes862@...> wrote:

Hi all

Nga Waka reached Nuku’alofa this afternoon after a slow head wind slog from Wellington; the last 7 days hand steered

The system on the yacht is a Raymarine ST6002 and has been very satisfactory.......until now! It’s a Non hydraulic system and we guess the problem may be brushes in the linear actuator.

Whether or not we can do a repair here in Nuku’alofa I’d like to purchase a second system to install so we might avoid the situation over the past week.

In that context has any one out there purchased an auto helm they find satisfactory and could you please provide a brand and model number.

Thanks for any help or advice anyone might supply

John Hayes sn 41

JOHN HAYES

Thanks to those who responded with sensible advice

With time on our hands we bit the bullet first pulling the motor apart and discovered that the small springs holding the brushes in place needed a tweak so they applied more pressure to their task

Then we pulled the arm apart including the small ball bearings gave all a good clean then applied lithium grease. Delicate and slow work to get the ball bearings in place. (Same system as the steering in a David brown tractor)

Whole job took about 6 hours but the auto pilot is working again......whew!!!

There is a shipment of motors and arms heading to NZ in early August......nga Waka’s name is on one of them

Thanks again for the collective advice

Best

John Hayes Sn 41

On 21/07/2019, at 7:55 AM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

[...]

smiles bernard

Hi there

Just some thoughts related to reliance on the autopilot.

We bought our Maramu to sail short handed, long distance with young kids onboard and this led me to consider our reliance on a single autopilot.

The electric autopilot has been excellent but I did want a reliable plan B.

I looked into replicating the very nice SM dual autopilot system with the addition of a linear drive unit on the steering quadrant.

In the end, for true resilience (ACU, control head, rudder sensor, drive unit) the costs and instal complexity led me to a wind vane instead.

I’ve used various wind vanes before on long trips - both servo pendulum and independent rudder systems. In each case the vanes quickly became one of the most essential things on the boat.

Almost zero maintenance, very robust and zero electronics and battery draw and they work better as the wind blows harder.

In the end for our Maramu I chose a Hydrovane as it operates independently of the boats steering system and works well with a center cockpit arrangement.

It’s has been steering our boat faultlessly since we installed it. In fact I’ve hardly used the Raymarine autopilot since we added the Hydrovane.

I believe the windpilot Pacific 2 is similar in nature in that it steers the boat whilst the main rudder is locked off but Ive not had the pleasure of trying one out yet.
.

I wonder if the SM is getting a little too big for a wind vane. Anyone tried a wind vane on the SM?

All the best
Miles
Maramu 162