Topics

C-Map vs Navionics charts

Joerg Esdorn

i have C Map on my Furuno TZ Plotter and Navionics on my iPad as a backup.   I’ve been noticing that the C Map charts for the Med often lack detail where we cruising sailors need it most: many little bays suitable as anchorages are just blue without soundings.  On the Navionics charts, on the other hand, I often have significant depth soundings and contours and rocks not shown on C map.  And there are other inaccuracies as well. Just now on my way south to Carthagena I passed a fish farm 5 miles from land that is not on my C map chart but is shown on Navionics.  And I just updated the C map ( but not Navionics).

Is this experience typical for C map in other regions of the world as well?  I’m thinking seriously about buying Navionics for the Atlantic. Can you mix C map and Navionics on the same plotter?

joerg esdorn
A55 #53’
Kincsem

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222

He Joerg
I have the same with Navionics in a Raymarine Plotter
On my i Pad i have a lot of more infotmations for the deep and more details

Elja
SY Balu
SM 222

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 21.07.2019 um 13:31 schrieb Joerg Esdorn via Groups.Io <jhe1313=yahoo.com@groups.io>:

i have C Map on my Furuno TZ Plotter and Navionics on my iPad as a backup. I’ve been noticing that the C Map charts for the Med often lack detail where we cruising sailors need it most: many little bays suitable as anchorages are just blue without soundings. On the Navionics charts, on the other hand, I often have significant depth soundings and contours and rocks not shown on C map. And there are other inaccuracies as well. Just now on my way south to Carthagena I passed a fish farm 5 miles from land that is not on my C map chart but is shown on Navionics. And I just updated the C map ( but not Navionics).

Is this experience typical for C map in other regions of the world as well? I’m thinking seriously about buying Navionics for the Atlantic. Can you mix C map and Navionics on the same plotter?

Paul Osterberg

We always try to have minimum two different systems. Navionics is one of them, but they have a few nasty mistakes in The Bahamas as example. As back up we have oppenCPN with various charts, iPad and android om which we download what ever we find recommended locally.
Open CPN is very good for planning and have an excellent anchor watch
Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259 Horta

Peter Forbes

We found C-Map very good in our circumnavigation - I had Avionics as my constantly running reserve system but C - Map proved good for us.

Peter
Peter Forbes
0044 7836 209730
Carango  Sailing Ketch
Amel 54 #035
In La Rochelle

On 21 Jul 2019, at 13:18, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

We always try to have minimum two different systems. Navionics is one of them, but they have a few nasty mistakes in The Bahamas as example. As back up we have oppenCPN with various charts, iPad and android om which we download what ever we find recommended locally.
Open CPN is very good for planning and have an excellent anchor watch
Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259 Horta

I am sure that you all know this about Vector Charts: There is a huge amount of information embedded in these chart files. Some chart plotting programs allow you to select what will be displayed. If you are a user of OpenCPN, you have probably noticed about 100 display options. The same Vector chart on Other Chart plotting programs offer very few options.

Apples, oranges, and onions🙃

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Jul 21, 2019, 7:26 AM Peter Forbes <ppsforbes@...> wrote:
We found C-Map very good in our circumnavigation - I had Avionics as my constantly running reserve system but C - Map proved good for us.

Peter
Peter Forbes
0044 7836 209730
Carango  Sailing Ketch
Amel 54 #035
In La Rochelle

On 21 Jul 2019, at 13:18, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

We always try to have minimum two different systems. Navionics is one of them, but they have a few nasty mistakes in The Bahamas as example. As back up we have oppenCPN with various charts, iPad and android om which we download what ever we find recommended locally.
Open CPN is very good for planning and have an excellent anchor watch
Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259 Horta

Willem Kroes

Hi Joerg,

I use C-map on my board PC and Navionics on my B&G plotter. I agree with your findings. For this reason I bought another navigating app on my PC that allows me to copy (within this app) the Navionics sd-card onto the hard disk of the PC. Don't try to copy without this app; little chance to succeed and the risk of loosing the functionality of the Navioncs sd-card.as well. The app I bought is called 'Tiki'. This is the website: http://www.tiki-navigator.com/English/default.htm

I use this app now during two seasons and I am quite satisfied to have the Navioncs chart not only on my plotter but also on my board PC.

Best regards,

Willem Kroes

SM2K #351 "Kavanga"

now in Greece

Alan Leslie

It seems it very much depends on where you are.
In the South Pacific we have found C-Map to be very good. Navionics is very good in SOME places but definitely not all.
In the Yasawa islands, Fiji,  Navionics showed reefs where there aren't any and didn't show some reefs that are there. It also didn't show passages which are marked with buoys that have been there for years.
In New Caledonia however Navionics charts seemed very accurate and the bottom contours particularly useful (is that because NC is French?)
We have both C-Map and Navionics in Time Zero, Navionics also in the cockpit B&G plotter with forward scan (not very useful), C-Map in the Furuno NavNet II at the chart table and the cockpit and OpenCPN with GE2KAP satellite photos on the PC at the chart table and repeater tablet in the cockpit, which is very useful to display along side a chart to see reefs and shoals that sometimes aren't on the charts.
Can't be too careful!
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437