Topics

1986 Amel Maramu 46 Mainsail Furling Motors

Samantha Jane Bartlett

Hi,

I've been through all the info in the messages here and we've been trying to get an answer from Amel for weeks with no success - Our mainsail furling and outhaul motors are completely rusted up (inherited problem) and we need to replace them.  They are 3 pole motors but I can't get any info on the specs - closest I've found on here is a Leroy Somer MBT82-M?? 3,100 revs and 450W...

I've trawled the Leroy Somer website and googled for a supplier but I'm still struggling - can anyone confirm the specs and a supplier?  We've installed a work-around with a Quick windlass motor but I'm pretty sure we've overpowered it... it would be great to have some specs so that we can replace them with the right ones!

Thank you!
Sam

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222

I ordert one by Amel 4 weeks ago
For SM 222
I think the will have in Stok
It is not possibel to order by Leroy somer ore other way only by Amel

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 23.07.2019 um 18:26 schrieb Samantha Jane Bartlett <bartlettsam@...>:

Hi,

I've been through all the info in the messages here and we've been trying to get an answer from Amel for weeks with no success - Our mainsail furling and outhaul motors are completely rusted up (inherited problem) and we need to replace them.  They are 3 pole motors but I can't get any info on the specs - closest I've found on here is a Leroy Somer MBT82-M?? 3,100 revs and 450W...

I've trawled the Leroy Somer website and googled for a supplier but I'm still struggling - can anyone confirm the specs and a supplier?  We've installed a work-around with a Quick windlass motor but I'm pretty sure we've overpowered it... it would be great to have some specs so that we can replace them with the right ones!

Thank you!
Sam

BE CAREFUL. A Maramu is a 12 volt boat and a Super Maramu is 24 volt. The motors are different: Apples:Oranges.

Samantha, it may not be possible to replace with OEM devices on a 30 year old boat, but if anyone can do it, it is Amel.

You should follow the instructions on the attached to order a part. If you are asking Amel where you can buy the motor or how to contact Leroy Somers, you are absolutely asking the wrong question. You should be requesting a quote and you should include all of the steps outlined in the attached.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 10:42 AM Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222 <Bijorka@...> wrote:
[...]

Bill and Sam
I am sorry but i dont read it is a Maramu
Thenk you Bill to clear it

Best Elja
SM Balu

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 23.07.2019 um 22:02 schrieb CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...>:

[...]

<Ordering from Amel.pdf>

Samantha Jane Bartlett

Thanks Bill,

We have asked for a quote from both Amel in Martinique and SAV in France - my husband has spoken with them in French (he's French) and we are still getting no joy.  I understand it's a 33 year old boat but if they would just give us the spec of the motor - or an equivalent, we can work with it!  He's going to try and call again tomorrow to France... but this has been going on a long time now and we're no further forward.  Our old motors are just too rusty to get any info from!

Bill Fletcher

Hi I own a 85 Maramu and have had to have these motors repaired. They may be rusty but a good DC motor rebuilder can usually get them working again. They are just a old 12Volt dc starter motor. The problem sounds like a stuck or warn out brush. I don’t know where you are but there is usually a rebuilder that can help you out. Good luck.
Fair winds
Bill Fletcher
Tahitian Dream
Maramu 179

On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 8:21 AM Samantha Jane Bartlett <bartlettsam@...> wrote:
Thanks Bill,

We have asked for a quote from both Amel in Martinique and SAV in France - my husband has spoken with them in French (he's French) and we are still getting no joy.  I understand it's a 33 year old boat but if they would just give us the spec of the motor - or an equivalent, we can work with it!  He's going to try and call again tomorrow to France... but this has been going on a long time now and we're no further forward.  Our old motors are just too rusty to get any info from!

"... if they would just give us the spec of the motor - or an equivalent..."  They don't do things that way, and Martinique is the wrong place to ask because they order all of the parts they sell from La Rochelle.

If you follow the instructions I gave you, you will get an answer, but since it will require them ordering a part for a 33 year old Amel, your request probably will not get the priority that another will get ordering a motor for a 15 year old Amel and that part is still stocked by Amel.

Note, that one part of the instructions I say, "In an emergency you can phone SAV at +33 (0) 546 55 00 75." Call them. French or English.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 3:21 PM Samantha Jane Bartlett <bartlettsam@...> wrote:
Thanks Bill,

We have asked for a quote from both Amel in Martinique and SAV in France - my husband has spoken with them in French (he's French) and we are still getting no joy.  I understand it's a 33 year old boat but if they would just give us the spec of the motor - or an equivalent, we can work with it!  He's going to try and call again tomorrow to France... but this has been going on a long time now and we're no further forward.  Our old motors are just too rusty to get any info from!

Aras Grinius

I had my motors re-worked here in the USA. They everything apart rewound the windings replaced brushes and load tested.

Aras Grinius
Sv fiasco #163 Sharki

--
Aras Grinius