Topics

B&G issues

ofer magen

Hi to all,
First I want to thank the groups and mainly Bill R for the great dedication and support.
I have a long time issue with boat speed on the H3000. It's randomly coming an going. My sensors are clean, the potentiometer was fixed.
What else can I do?

Thanks and warm regards to all.

Ofer Magen
Alba A54 160

Paul Brown

Oliver, I suggest you try the calibration and parameters prior to any replacements or cleaning as my problem was similar to your issue

Paul

On 13 Aug 2019, at 7:22 pm, Jose Venegas via Groups.Io <josegvenegas@...> wrote:

Oliver,
I had a similar problem with the boat speed reading and changed the sensors (not an easy thing to do)  Unfortunately the reading was still 0.  I then open the box and cleaned the contacts between the different components and it came back to life.  It is possible that that was the original problem but I had already changed the sensors.
As for the wind speed indicator, I have some times a problem with it but it usually comes back after I do a system test.  Clearly, age has its consequences.

Jose Venegas
Ipanema SM2K 278

Jose Venegas

Oliver,
I had a similar problem with the boat speed reading and changed the sensors (not an easy thing to do)  Unfortunately the reading was still 0.  I then open the box and cleaned the contacts between the different components and it came back to life.  It is possible that that was the original problem but I had already changed the sensors.
As for the wind speed indicator, I have some times a problem with it but it usually comes back after I do a system test.  Clearly, age has its consequences.

Jose Venegas
Ipanema SM2K 278

Paul Brown

Thank you again Bill for the kind assistance, this document helps and I will check and calibrate according, you are most kind

Regards Paul

On 13 Aug 2019, at 6:11 pm, Paul Brown via Groups.Io <feeder.brown@...> wrote:

Sorry Oliver I am not sure but you should be able to down load from the internet, I have the FURUNO H3000 and found it on the internet...

It is fairly simple if you get to the calibration page under set up but the manual should assist more I expect

Paul 55#17

On 13 Aug 2019, at 5:30 pm, Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica <oliver.henrichsen@...> wrote:

Paul,

Where to find the manual for this sensor setup?

Oliver A54#39

Sent from my Huawei Mobile

From: Paul Brown
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
CC:

Thanks Joerg

I have found the issue, the SOG was not activated in the H3000 set up. All is ok now, but it will improve more once I calabrate all parameters

Thanks Paul

On 28 Jul 2019, at 10:19 am, Joerg Esdorn via Groups.Io <jhe1313@...> wrote:

Paul, i, too, have had a failure of the sonic speed transducer but the new one - a much revised model Airmar I’m told - has been working flawlessly for 2 years.  If you do not have a BSP reading, you should check what the source of BSP is in the Settings Menu, likely under „system“  If it is the Airmar transducer, you should switch it to the paddle wheel (which is part of the depth and sea temp transducer, which is likely a dst200) and see whether you have BSP.   If you do, replace the sonic speed.  I would contact Stéphane at Pochon for this.  He may be able to get you a new one for free because the old one had known problems, but at least he will be able to tell you which type to get.  I’m not on the boat but can give you that info in late August if you still need it.   If you don’t see BSP with the paddle wheel either, you should check the other settings. Again, I can help in late August.

You need BSP (or better yet, the drift corrected STW) to calculate the true wind direction and speed that you are seeing on the water - ie the wind speed and direction you need to make decisions whether to tack or gybe, for example, or to calibrate your wind instruments.  You could use SOG, but then you are calculating the TWD and TWS without any current effect and since the boat is sailing in the current, this will give you wrong info.    Even in the Med, current can make a significant difference.

Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53
Kincsem

Paul Brown

[...]

Maybe some of this will help:

image.png
image.png
There is an adjustment to the B&G Sonic Speed Processor. See knob in above photo and attached.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 10:30 AM Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica <oliver.henrichsen@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi,

I got a sonic speed sensor and it was working before.
Magnified Wind did not work since I got the boat.

Where do I find a manual for sensor setup in Menue to verify the setup?

Hot to test a sonic speed sensor?

Oliver from Vela Nautica
A54#39
Portugal

Sent from my Huawei Mobile

[...]

That’s interesting Bill, I too am not a smart sailor but want to be and learn every step of the way I hope. I will look into the black box as I am appreciating more  that all elements need to be calculated and calibrated correctly but I have relied on technicians to set things over many years but should learn to do these tests independently.

I was under the impression that SOG or STW is a reference for the wind and current but obviously there is more two it,, back to study

Thank you again for the great leads and your kind contributions and knowledge, again a great help, very appreciated

Regards Paul

On 27 Jul 2019, at 7:13 pm, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Paul,

You are welcome. Some things are very difficult to sort out. Also, it is difficult to diagnose via email, but I am usually luckier than wrong.😀😀

To take this a step further. There are more than a few Amel owners who have lost SOW mostly because of faulty B&G Sonic Speed Sensors. A significant number of those do nothing because they say they have SOG on GPS. Without SOW, TWA and TWS are not accurate. Because I am not a smart sailor, I wanted and used TWA and TWS all of the time. TWA and TWS can be calculated using SOG, but you have to use a black box from A&T Electronics to convert the SOG data to SOW data before it is read by the B&G processor.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 11:21 AM Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:
Thank you very much Bill, I just found the issue, you lead me to the SOW being the reference for wind and the SOG was not referenced or switched on in the H3000 set up so now it’s activated alls working. I must have switched it off along the way or there’s a gremlin lurking

Thanks to all for the community support its a great help

Kind regards Paul 55#17

On 27 Jul 2019, at 4:37 pm, Paul Brown via Groups.Io <feeder.brown@...> wrote:

Thank you Bill for the help, I have recently replaced the paddle wheel and as mentioned under motor the other day the issues seemed to rectify for the rest of that journey, with accurate wind and speed through the water, so I am now suspecting an intermittent issue as a possibility also.

I will be visiting Palma Mallorca early in the week so hopefully get a good B&G technician aboard

Kind regards Paul

On 27 Jul 2019, at 2:54 pm, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

TWS and TWA are mathematically calculated by the H3000 processor and the calculation requires accurate  SOW input.

You mentioned that you have no SOW. My guess is either your Sonic Speed or Paddlewheel transducers are not working properly, or a defective H3000 processor.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Jul 27, 2019, 3:37 AM Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:
Hello all,

im inquiring if someone can assist, my B&G H3000 has an issue with regards to displaying the TWS as the AWS and the AWA as the AWS so both are the same, with no displaying of the TWS. Also the boat speed is not displaying despite the paddle wheel being operable.

if I run the engine the displaying of the TWS and AWS and boat speed functions as normal but then when the engine is off and we are sailing the issue continues.

any assistance would be appreciated

thank you Paul Brown 55#17