Topics

problem with the Climma

Lior Keydar <sharona246@...>

Hi all

When I start the climma, the compressor starts to work only by the minimum temp. of 18 degree (the others starts at higher temp).
If I put the temp a bit higher the compressor stops. Until now everything is ok, only the temperature is not correct. When I put the  temperature down again, the compressor wants to start but it doesn't and then the 220 switch in the galley switch off. I measured all the capacitors and they are ok. Does anyone has any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks a lot in advance

Lior, SHARONA A54 #018

Mark Erdos

Lior,

This sounds typical of the compressor start capacitor failing.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lior Keydar via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2019 7:18 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] problem with the Climma

Hi all

When I start the climma, the compressor starts to work only by the minimum temp. of 18 degree (the others starts at higher temp).
If I put the temp a bit higher the compressor stops. Until now everything is ok, only the temperature is not correct. When I put the  temperature down again, the compressor wants to start but it doesn't and then the 220 switch in the galley switch off. I measured all the capacitors and they are ok. Does anyone has any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks a lot in advance

Lior, SHARONA A54 #018

Your Amel has a compressor start and a compressor run capacitor. They are inside the white control box.

The thermostat, wiring, thermocouple, thermostat control board, system control board, or Compressor could be faulty. 

I would check in this order of probability:
Start and Run Capacitors
Thermostat
Wiring connections
PCBs (2)
Thermocouple
Compressor
Refrigerant level
Water flow
Fan speed (flow)

If you don't know how to do these things, hire an expert.

Your Climmas are over 20 years old and beyond end of life. You will very likely be replacing them in the near future. Consider this. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Jul 28, 2019, 6:47 AM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Lior,

This sounds typical of the compressor start capacitor failing.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lior Keydar via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2019 7:18 AM
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] problem with the Climma

Hi all

Thanks a lot in advance

Lior, SHARONA A54 #018

Thanks a lot Bill and Mark

I measured the two capacitors (40 and 10 mF) and they seems to be ok. Should I try any way to replace them?
My Climma is 13 years old (or the boat).

Thanks
Lior

Mark Erdos

Lior,

That is exactly where I would start. I had a very similar experience with a unit and replaced the hard start capacitor with a Supco E Series unit. My unit called for the SPP5E model. Not sure if you have the same AC unit. This was for the Climma Compact 9. It’ll cost you $20-30 to find out if this is the culprit, or not.

Bill mentioned this capacitor was located in the control box. In my case the capacitor is located next to the compressor and behind the fan. This may have been a design change.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2019 11:06 AM
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] problem with the Climma

Thanks a lot Bill and Mark

I measured the two capacitors (40 and 10 mF) and they seems to be ok. Should I try any way to replace them?
My Climma is 13 years old (or the boat).

Thanks
Lior

I tried to replace the capacitor but it did not help.
I am almost sure it is the thermostat. when the temp. was set to 18 degree (minimum) the compressor did not start. As I wormed the sensor with my fingers the compressor started. I could start the compressor each time i wormed it. As I left it, after a minute or so, the compressor stopped. The cooling part is also sweating a little bit (because of the coldness). Is it normal?
Could anyone advice me where I could order this thermostat? Do I have to order it with the switches and temp regulator?

Thanks a lot for your help
Lior

Mark Erdos

Lior,

I thought you said the breaker at the 220 panel popped when the compressor tried to start. This would not be indicative of the thermostat. Perhaps you have more than one issue going one.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2019 12:57 PM
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] problem with the Climma

I tried to replace the capacitor but it did not help.
I am almost sure it is the thermostat. when the temp. was set to 18 degree (minimum) the compressor did not start. As I wormed the sensor with my fingers the compressor started. I could start the compressor each time i wormed it. As I left it, after a minute or so, the compressor stopped. The cooling part is also sweating a little bit (because of the coldness). Is it normal?
Could anyone advice me where I could order this thermostat? Do I have to order it with the switches and temp regulator?

Thanks a lot for your help
Lior

Mark,

the breaker popped when I stopped the compressor by change the temperature to higher and then put it low again. In this case the compressor wanted to start again but couldn't and popped the breaker. when I leave the the temperature low it stopped after a while and when I "warm" the sensor with the fingers, it starts again. Yes, maybe there are two issues but I really think that the thermostat does not work properly. In the saloon it works good. I can start and stop the compressor by changing the temperature level.
Any way, the capacitors are ok. I replaced them and the problem remain the same.

Thanks
Lior 

John Clark

Hi Lior,
  Jumping in late on this.  If before troubleshooting your only complaint was that the unit would not cool when thermostat was set to the coldest setting, and there was no issue with the breaker tripping then you may be correct that your issue is the thermostat.   The breaker tripping could be caused by bad capacitors, a common fault and easy fix, but in reading your posts it sounds like it could also be caused by repeated starting and stopping the compressor during troubleshooting.  Compressors had a hard time restarting right after bring turned off due to back pressure from running.  Letting it sit for a minute will allow the pressure to equalize and make it easier to start.

A sneaky issue I had was the main 230v AC panel breaker tripping when the AC was running.  It turned out to be caused by condensation dripping on the compressor terminals.  There us a ground fault trip on the main breaker that will open it but not the downstream air conditioning breaker.

Regards, John
SV Annie. SM 37
Brunswick GA

On Sun, Jul 28, 2019, 5:17 PM Lior Keydar via Groups.Io <sharona246=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Mark,

the breaker popped when I stopped the compressor by change the temperature to higher and then put it low again. In this case the compressor wanted to start again but couldn't and popped the breaker. when I leave the the temperature low it stopped after a while and when I "warm" the sensor with the fingers, it starts again. Yes, maybe there are two issues but I really think that the thermostat does not work properly. In the saloon it works good. I can start and stop the compressor by changing the temperature level.
Any way, the capacitors are ok. I replaced them and the problem remain the same.

Thanks
Lior 

Hi John

Thanks a lot for your replay. Maybe the reason why the compressor did not startet and popped the 220 V switch is really because I did not wait with stopping and starting the compressor. I did not  know it could be an issue. When I wait like you said, it start every time without a problem. I think that it must be a foult thermostat. If the sensor is warm enough (too much then it should), the compressor starts normal and it works fine. 

Thanks and regards
Lior

sounds like the thermostat, or defective thermocouple (which is part of the thermostat)...where is the end of the thermocouple attached to the evaporator coils? Is the thermocouple bent or broken. it should never be bent at sharp angles.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 12:04 PM Lior Keydar via Groups.Io <sharona246=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi John

Thanks a lot for your replay. Maybe the reason why the compressor did not startet and popped the 220 V switch is really because I did not wait with stopping and starting the compressor. I did not  know it could be an issue. When I wait like you said, it start every time without a problem. I think that it must be a foult thermostat. If the sensor is warm enough (too much then it should), the compressor starts normal and it works fine. 

Thanks and regards
Lior

Paul Stascavage

Lior,

Not sure if your thermostat is the same as mine, but on mine you can tune or adjust the temperature setting. My adjustment screw is on the back side of the control panel that is mounted on the wall. It is possible that your thermostat is good but needs to be adjusted.

All the Best,

Paul Stascavage
S/V Rita Kathryn SM #466

RitaKathryn.com

Currently Exploring City Island NY

Dear Paul

Thank you so much for your advice. I could adjust it and now it is working perfect :-)

Thanks again
Lior

Paul Stascavage

Glad to hear that fixed your problem. It is awesome when the fix is a simple one. Chuck on S/V Joy taught me about the adjustment pot on the rear side of the control panel.

All the Best,

Paul Stascavage
S/V Rita Kathryn SM #466

RitaKathryn.com

Currently Exploring City Island NY

John Clark

Hi Lior,
   Good deal and congrats on the easy fix!

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 1:04 PM Lior Keydar via Groups.Io <sharona246=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi John

Thanks and regards
Lior